Top-up motors

CallumWK

I have a motorized top-up cover for my pickup. It has 4 motors, and while they all still work, it seems that one of them is losing some strength.

It still works once it is going, but it needs a little help.

Is this something that can be fixed, as maybe just a capacitor that needs to be replaced, or should I start looking for new motors?

Since these are likely to be brushed DC motors there's no electronics associated other than the overall limit switches that stop the motors at each end.

Check the wiring for loose or corroded connections, wiggle terminals etc.

Also, check any pivot points that may need lubricating.

If the motors are all identical and easily accessed then you could try swapping the "weak" one to another position and see if the weakness moves with it. If it does, time for a replacement motor, zillions of DC motors on AliExpress / Alibaba.

If it is actually a weak motor it may be worth pulling the gearbox apart and lubricating.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

Since these are likely to be brushed DC motors there's no electronics associated other than the overall limit switches that stop the motors at each end.

Check the wiring for loose or corroded connections, wiggle terminals etc.

Also, check any pivot points that may need lubricating.

If the motors are all identical and easily accessed then you could try swapping the "weak" one to another position and see if the weakness moves with it. If it does, time for a replacement motor, zillions of DC motors on AliExpress / Alibaba.

If it is actually a weak motor it may be worth pulling the gearbox apart and lubricating.

Yes motors are easily accessible, only 3 screws, so will try out your suggestions.

I know plenty of motors available on Ali, but to find one with the same mount will not be easy I guess.

image.png.51c83e164bdd28c94dd99515cafb4e86.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CallumWK said:

Yes motors are easily accessible, only 3 screws, so will try out your suggestions.

I know plenty of motors available on Ali, but to find one with the same mount will not be easy I guess.

image.png.51c83e164bdd28c94dd99515cafb4e86.png

You may find that inside that box is a common "RS" series motor. You won't really know until you get the thing in bits.

• Thanks 1