drink and driving

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

Crazy thought......do you think...maybe....the vast majority of drivers are actually responsible and are sober....and that might account for 'more deaths caused by sober people'?

Agree ... there's accidents, just that, and then there are preventable accidents.  Drunks & speed / too fast for conditions fall in the latter.   

As he states, that's why there's laws.  I guess he is in the 'it's not my problem' crowd, until of course it is, then he'll be the first to say ... 'how could that happen, why didn't someone do something if they know?"   Now he knows how & why sh!t happens.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Ok then, quote specifically just one instance of a drunk driver who caused a death being charged with "murder".

here we are ... there are  many more ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cv26j5n5wj3o

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/local-2/alleged-dui-driver-charged-with-murder-after-hitting-teen-girl-in-newport-beach/3423978/

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, motdaeng said:

one of my foreign neighbors drives every day late afternoon into the city, meeting his drinking friends at a bar.

after drinking a few beers, he drives back home, about 20 km. everyone knows he drinks every day and

gets drunk quite often. if he is drunk it can get easily out of controll.

why do so many foreigners here in thailand think it is their right to drink and drive? what do these kinds

of people think? why do these people always defend their drink and driving habit?

if an accident happens, innocent people get injured or killed, but these selfish and ruthless farangs just don't care.

it is a shame, the police does not much (or better nothing) against it ... 

btw, about 45 years ago, a friend of mine was killed by a drunken driver. 

Because there is no taxi to even take to most remote places in the evenings or nights. That is the entire reason I do it as well. That's why Thais do it, to not be aware of this is kind of ignorant. For Thais it is also the taxi costs, that would 2 day wages. Blame the lack of public transport.

I never need to do it in Bangkok for example, as there is always transport or a taxi.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I stand corrected, sort of, but absolutely not the norm...

"Those convicted of DUI in California must be given a “Watson advisement,” which advises them that those who kill others while driving under the influence can be charged with murder".

'I stand corrected, sort of, but absolutely not the norm'

Bloody hell Louie, you OK?🤣🤣🤣

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Woof999 said:

I wasn't there, I was 14 at the time. I met the landlord several times afterwards and thanked him for his efforts. It would have been well over 10 pints of guinness (never did like the stuff) and probably a barrel of rum or two. He was an ex Navy guy.

Thanks mate for the info, sorry to hear. 

My main concern driving on the roads here in Thailand, drunk drivers and people on their phones. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Oh dear, maybe those people should consider the cost of the drinking if they're that short.

That short? 250 baht one way to a average remote place of only 10-15KM? That's even a lot for most farangs here. And most times they would not even go there or you would not get a ride from the house to there.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

The outright self centred stupidity on display on this thread is astonishing... 

Some outright idiots trying to justify driving while drunk.

The only thing more to do is ignore the halfwitted, selfish, tosspot idiots who think driving while drunk is acceptable in any civilised world...   these are simple minded cavemen who think acting with a level of responsibility is somehow being woke....  Absolute idiot(s) - and this forum is giving such halfwitted morons oxygen, there is one in particular who I don't even think is trolling - he is perhaps the biggest of the idiots I have read on this forum...   What a complete mistake of a human being this character is.

Hear, hear!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The outright self centred stupidity on display on this thread is astonishing... 

The only thing more to do is ignore the halfwitted, selfish, tosspot idiots who think driving while drunk is acceptable in any civilised world...   these are simple minded cavemen who think acting with a level of responsibility is somehow being woke....  Absolute idiot(s) - and this forum is giving such halfwitted morons oxygen, there is one in particular who I don't even think is trolling - he is perhaps the biggest of the idiots I have read on this forum...   What a complete mistake of a human being this character is.

Is has nothing to do with trying to justify it, it has everything to do with how this country runs and works. To not understand that, while living here, is stupidity. Does that make drunk driving fun or cool? No? Does it make it necessary in a realistic life of the average Thai: Yes. Does it cause accidents and deaths? Yes a lot, but that is how it is.

We western countries also justify keeping other continents poor and in war, so we can stay rich. Same same but different.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s one way of weeding out the stupidity, hopefully they keep their demise amongst themselves 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Not sure what the OP suggests, that people who live in remote places, never go out to drink or hire a private driver?

Don't live in remote places then....   Your choice where you live, your choice if you drink and drive.

The issue is one is antisocial... 

I do see somewhat of a grey area - i.e. having one or two beers with dinner and driving home - but that may not put you beyond the limit of impairment.

But, if someone is going out and having a skin-full, then driving home impaired while under the misconception that they are being careful, more diligent, more aware becasue they know they are drunk - then there is a strong argument that this person should not be permitted a licence full stop... 

... Not only are such idiots a danger to society when drunk, but their absense of any basic decency, absence of intellect and common sense indicates they are so stupid they also present a threat to other road users while sober.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

Don't live in remote places then....   Your choice where you live, your choice if you drink and drive.

The issue is one is antisocial... 

I do see somewhat of a grey area - i.e. having one or two beers with dinner and driving home - but that may not put you beyond the limit of impairment.

But, if someone is going out and having a skin-full, then driving home impaired while under the misconception that they are being careful, more diligent, more aware becasue they know they are drunk - then there is a strong argument that this person should not be permitted a licence full stop... 

... Not only are such idiots a danger to society when drunk, but their absense of any basic decency, absence of intellect and common sense indicates they are so stupid they also present a threat to other road users while sober.

Lol are you kidding me or what, are you really that ignorant? You want to tell 80% of the Thai people to relocate? And magically earn more money? Get real.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

That short? 250 baht one way to a average remote place of only 10-15KM? That's even a lot for most farangs here. And most times they would not even go there or you would not get a ride from the house to there.

Geez, I used to give my tuk tuk driver 500 baht a night, though it usually turned into a long night, 1900-midnight +.  Once a month, for forum meet up. 

Then I'd spring for that late night munch.   Use to crack me up, as his wife would call after midnight every time, and ask 'when you coming home ?' ... 'when farang is done" :cheesy:

And that was 15 years ago.

Edited by KhunLA

3 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Does it cause accidents and deaths? Yes a lot, but that is how it is.

We western countries also justify keeping other continents poor and in war, so we can stay rich. Same same but different.

That's is perhaps one of the most stupid arguments I've read... 

... "My government sells bombs so its ok for me to drink drive and put innocent people at greater risk"...

Do you also throw litter out of your car?... what does it matter, your country bombs other countries...   the logic disconnect is astonishing.

The world being imperfect, is not a valid personal excuse to make it worse.

• Like 2

That's is perhaps one of the most stupid arguments I've read... 

... "My government sells bombs so its ok for me to drink drive and put innocent people at greater risk"...

Do you also throw litter out of your car?... what does it matter, your country bombs other countries...   the logic disconnect is astonishing.

The world being imperfect, is not a valid personal excuse to make it worse.

Stay in your little bubble then, meanwhile, developing countries work the way they work, and people keep drinking and driving. 

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

If you can't spend 500 THB on a taxi, stay at home and drink cheap beers out of the fridge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Stay in your little bubble then, meanwhile, developing countries work the way they work, and people keep drinking and driving. 

OK drunk driver...  But you are attempting to point score with your 'bubble' comment when presenting an argument from the point of justifying behavior which is antisocial, illegal, dangerous to innocent others, selfish, self centred and ultimately extremely stupid..... 

I've seen your posts before... but unlike MalcomB never realised you were dumb enough to try and justify drink driving... 

Do you also get into the state of driving needing to close one eye ?

--------

So as not to be a hypocrite - I drove very drunk once... 

We were staying at a friends resort (Khao Yai) and arrived late...  We just pulled up to the front and met everyone.

Had a few beers, then dinner, were given room keys...  The room was about 1 km away... (private land)... 

We all got drunk - at about 2am... we drove to the room - I was 'blind drunk'... 

The next morning I saw my 'perfect' parking...  I'd abandoned the car which about 5cm before I'd driven into a 2-3m ditch...   

No one would have got hurt - but we would have needed a crane to get the car out.

That was extremely stupid. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Lol are you kidding me or what, are you really that ignorant? You want to tell 80% of the Thai people to relocate? And magically earn more money? Get real.

IF you are drink driving because you live remotely and can't get taxi's then you are part of the problem. 

It seems people such as yourself don't mind this and justify your actions because 'others do it too'... 

Somehow, across society, DUI is widely acceptable here...    I know of so many deaths as a direct result of DUI - families torn apart....  Also so many accidents - most Thai's I know have had a drink driving related accident at some point in their life...   (and quite a few westerners too - on their motorcycle)... 

Selfish and stupid behavior. 

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

If you can't spend 500 THB on a taxi, stay at home and drink cheap beers out of the fridge.

Is a lot of money for Thais, you know that just as good as me. Aside from the fact there just really is no taxi's in most remote places.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:
1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Is a lot of money for Thais, you know that just as good as me. Aside from the fact there just really is no taxi's in most remote places.

Thats not different from anywhere else in the world - the answer is not to drink and drive, the answer is not to drink and drive.... 

...  The issue is also an anti-social one...  the reason some drink and drive is because they know they can get away with it, rather than not drink driving because they don't want to hurt an innocent other...

57 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Then you make sure you have a designated driver who doesn't drink that time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Back then no checkpoints, today it's to risky. 

So check-points are what stops you?  You don't give a damn about the family you might wipe out then?

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Call me an Ahole, but I'd have to report him. 

I wouldn't call you that, I'd give you a gold star.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ChaiyaTH said:

80% of Thai people aren't drinkers, although there are millions that do. He's simply stating if you're going to drink, as many people worldwide do, don't drive drunk. Get another person to drive. It's called a designated driver if you aren't aware of the term. Hire an Uber or whatever. People are killed most every day by drunk drivers. These are people who had too much to drink. Not necessarily bad or stupid people, just stupid actions if they drive afterwards. People who do this all the time are inconsiderate of others, thinking they can operate a 2 ton machine at 80MPH and handle it like they can sober. Fact is, many aren't competent drivers sober. The car is a machine of destruction if they are drunk driving.

• Thanks 1