British Couple Outraged Over £9 Tin of Heinz Beans in Thailand

webfact

Last month it was the Brit soi 6 drinkers who were outraged at having to pay for sex in a brothel, yesterday it was the Brit woman outraged over the price of a dress alteration, today it is baked beans. 

what will we be outraged about tomorrow?

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Celsius said:

They need to be supervised like babies from clowns the likes of minor group to have any consistency.

Exactly! They need that exquisite British culinary engineering and expert Brit close supervision at every stage. THEN we'll see them proper baked beans just like in the UK!

I don't understand why the British Embassy isn't lodging a protest with Thai gov't! This has got to stop.

Overpricing baked beans is an insult to the entire Commonwealth and an attempted degradation of a British cultural property. Further, it makes Brit tourists and residents feel unwelcome and constantly hungry, waddling around with their tongues hanging out. And it makes a Brit feel much more at home to see his compatriots with the usual dribble of baked beans down their checked collared shirts hanging over their bellies.

But what we have here is nothing less than a threat their mental and physical health.

You Brits need to start lobbying your Embassy. This just utterly outrageous! WE NEED CHEAP PROPER BAKED BEANS.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, misterphil said:

Leaves the UK because its a messed up Country. 

Holidays in Thailand cause Australia isn't good enough.  

Comes all the way to Thailand for baked beans. 

Complains about everything. 

Eat local Thai food when in Thailand you muppet.  

What a out Mr Bean?

Obviously these people are just plain stupid and looking for attention I bought exactly the same beans today at villa market, 110 baht, the spaghetti was 95 baht so they more then likely changed the price tag to make up some crap to get their dumbass heads in the news,, actually this is not even news

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ironmike said:

Obviously these people are just plain stupid and looking for attention I bought exactly the same beans today at villa market, 110 baht, the spaghetti was 95 baht so they more then likely changed the price tag to make up some crap to get their dumbass heads in the news,, actually this is not even news

It was so clear from the beginning that they were chasing their 15 minutes of fame!

Now they have become Asean Now superstars!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm surprised that Asean Now would publish such an article without confirming the price first.

You see I did a little research, knowing which franchise it is that they were referring too.

I also checked the prices of the same product back in Oz.

I see that the store sells 6 cans for 1,320 baht, now that's 220 baht each, perhaps the 420 baht is for 2 cans, after all, it is as clear as daylight that on the top of the can facing, it says multi pack, which works out to about $9.00 AUS a can, not $18 AUS  a can as they are suggesting.

That said, it still is about 3 times more expensive than in Oz 🙂

7 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

With the upcoming dedollarization of the USD, maybe baked beans should replace the McDonald's Big Mac International Currency comparison.:coffee1:

burger.png

Upcoming in what year? Other countries have been talking about trashing the USD for my whole lifetime and I'm 68

1 hour ago, Shocked farang said:

One should compare Thailand with Cambodia where there are almost no taxes on imported products. The way things work in Thailand is that the local food companies finance the campaigns of Thai politicians who in turn keep the high taxes in place to "protect" the Thai companies. It's a vicious circle. 

I've compared the two and found imported cheese is even more expensive in Cambodia than in Thailand. Only alcoholic beverages are cheaper...

No tax on imports in Cambodia? ROFL!!

3 hours ago, garzhe said:

Any imported foods that Thais don't eat or drink carry high import duties.  For instance, a bottle of scotch whiskey costs less than a mediocre bottle of wine, as generally Thais don't drink wine but are big whiskey drinkers, nor do many eat baked beans..If you want to eat and drink western style in Thailand, expect to pay high prices.

Another made up claim.

Imported food and drinks regardless of what it is or how popular it is in the local market will be more expensive than locally produced goods unless the country of origin is Malaysia or China, then all bets are off.

Chances are that whiskey you refer to is made in Thailand.

7 hours ago, sidneybear said:

Anything that's imported in small quantities is going to be expensive because of higher shipping and distribution costs. It's not rocket science. 

More to do with greed and blaming wars.

• Agree 1

Tops or any other outletS selling imported food  in thailand will do the same.Best to look  buy a thai brand or something else.I saw many imported foods  in those shops did i buy no way.found the thai brand

8 hours ago, sidneybear said:

Anything that's imported in small quantities is going to be expensive because of higher shipping and distribution costs. It's not rocket science. 

I shop with my wife twice a month at a small Khmer market near our house in California. Everything has to be imported and is ridiculously expensive but, happy wife.... There are also heaps of Vietnamese markets nearby as well so she can get all her produce needs met there. It's just the the various sauces and what not that the Knmer market carries (and I love their mangoes!) that she just loves. Can't get out of there for unders $US100.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2024 at 9:23 PM, Gsxrnz said:

With the upcoming dedollarization of the USD, maybe baked beans should replace the McDonald's Big Mac International Currency comparison.:coffee1:

burger.png

I thought the last McDonald's left Russia in 2022. Many of the these seem to be based on labor costs, while others appear to be just jacking up the price to increase their profits.

It's impossible for an immigrant to learn how to make baked beans?  They don't seem bright enough to learn. Boil some beans throw in some ketchup and bacon or whatever, cowboy.

I think the difficult part is soaking the beans overnight before cooking.  Immigrants can't seem to plan that far in advance. 😭

_storage_emulated_0_Android_data_pixelab.camart.cartoon_files_DCIM_camart_camart1720097085577.jpg

10 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

A British couple holidaying in Thailand discovered that some home comforts come at a jaw-dropping price abroad.

Mark and Nadine, originally from the UK and Ireland but now residing in Australia, were having a tropical getaway when they were floored by the cost of a simple can of Heinz Baked Beans in a local Thai supermarket.

In a video shared on TikTok, Nadine, with evident shock, displayed the tin and exclaimed, “You want your Heinz beans in Thailand? Only 420 baht.” 

The couple quickly did the sums and converted the price, revealing the staggering cost. “18 Australian dollars for a can of beans,” they exclaimed.

This jaw-dropping price tag sparked a conversation about the real cost of home comforts while travelling. The video gained traction online, prompting debates on whether tourists should indulge in imported goods or stick to local cuisine.

Online commenters were quick to highlight the hefty markup on imported products, attributing it to distribution and transport costs. Many advised tourists to eat locally to avoid such exorbitant prices. Mark and Nadine acknowledged this, yet couldn’t help but feel the local supermarket’s pricing was excessive.

“We know imported things are more expensive but this markup is just too much,” said Mark.

Converting 420 baht to other currencies, the couple's find is around 17 Australian dollars or roughly 9 British pounds—an eye-watering 600% increase compared to what they'd normally pay back home.

This isn’t the first time Australians have faced sticker shock abroad. Last year, a packet of Tim Tams in the US was spotted for around 314 baht, equating to 13 Australian dollars, causing outrage despite acknowledged import costs.

As more travellers share their experiences, the debate over the worth of home comforts continues to heat up, stirring discussions about adapting to local fare while abroad.

Photo courtesy: TikTok via Yahoo News

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-07-04

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

And what the point? A little Girl from UK told on YT an Ice Cream was 9 pounds.