Red wine and hangovers

45 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Wine is the beverage resulting exclusively from the partial or complete alcoholic fermentation of fresh grapes, whether crushed or not, or of grape must. Its actual alcohol content shall not be less than 8.5% vol

So how would you define Country Wines such as blackberry wine, elderberry wine, pineapple wine etc etc.

I know, I have Bingled it, and it says exclusively Grapes.

On 7/4/2024 at 11:27 AM, BobBKK said:

They are fruit wines with added fruit juice to reduce tax is what I was highlighting - they taste like **** obviously.

We are still waiting for the 'tax reduction' on wine to hit the shops!. They can't add much fruit juice as the strength remains the same, maybe just a drop or two?

12 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So how would you define Country Wines such as blackberry wine, elderberry wine, pineapple wine etc etc.

I know, I have Bingled it, and it says exclusively Grapes.

Just as you say.....Elderberry wine, Blackberry Wine and so on, but cannot be sold as just "wine". Quite how the Mont Clair producers have gotten away with that here, because their bottles/boxes used to state "Fruit Wine", but that now seems to have "disappeared" from their labelling???

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, proton said:

We are still waiting for the 'tax reduction' on wine to hit the shops!. They can't add much fruit juice as the strength remains the same, maybe just a drop or two?

20% up

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Just as you say.....Elderberry wine, Blackberry Wine and so on, but cannot be sold as just "wine". Quite how the Mont Clair producers have gotten away with that here, because their bottles/boxes used to state "Fruit Wine", but that now seems to have "disappeared" from their labelling???

For a short while Mont Clair made a Sauvignon Blanc made from grape juice from Marlborough Bay New Zealand.  It was very good indeed but pricey.

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

For a short while Mont Clair made a Sauvignon Blanc made from grape juice from Marlborough Bay New Zealand.  It was very good indeed but pricey.

I just read a bit about that.  It was exported to Thailand to be bottled here thus saving tax? 

It was selling in NZ for about the equivalent of 336 baht per bottle 

2 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

I just read a bit about that.  It was exported to Thailand to be bottled here thus saving tax? 

If it was bottled by Mont Clair then the chances are it had some frit juice added........just saying!!

On 7/4/2024 at 5:52 AM, susanlea said:

Shiraz typically has it and most cheap wines. Read the label.

The problem with the label is that the law doesn't require the declaration of all ingredients for wine and for most other alcoholic beverages.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

12 hours ago, xylophone said:

If it was bottled by Mont Clair then the chances are it had some frit juice added........just saying!!

I drank the last bottle last month, it definitely didn't contain any fruit juice.  I was surprised by it's quality, I did a blind tasting at a dinner party against Brancott Estate and everyone preferred the Mont Clair, it was fresher with more zing.

Apparently it was made in NZ but bottled in Thailand to save money.   I think it was about 540 baht a bottle in BigC and a few Vivino users rated it at 4.0

Edited by JBChiangRai
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/4/2024 at 10:48 AM, susanlea said:

Preservatives cause it.

For those who wish to know more about this subject, read the following (also sulphur dioxide is used as a prerservative and bacteria killer and the amount added in wine is strictly controlled. It also prevents any unwanted secondary fermentation)........

First, there is the “red wine headache” myth. For some people, red wine causes headaches, and these headaches are often blamed on sulfites (Gaiter and Brecher 2000). American and French consumers of wine hold this belief (Remaud and Sirieix 2012). However, studies suggest that histamines and biogenic amines are the actual culprits (Jarisch and Wantke 1996)

https://agrifoodecon.springeropen.com/articles/10.1186/s40100-015-0038-1

Also of interest with regard to sulphites in wine…..

https://www.uwe-hofmann.org/The%20use%20of%20Sulphur%20Dioxide.pdf

What causes wine headaches?

Headaches are a possible side effect people may have from wine. People may develop a headache from drinking wine because of several factors. Some may have more than one factor that leads to a headache after drinking wine.

FactorsTrusted Source that may explain why some people have wine headaches include:

• the presence of histamine
  • tyramine
  • tannins
  • dehydration

Edited by xylophone
  • Thanks 1