Recriminalization of Marijuana

I think there are quite a few steps to be taken before January 1, 2025.

This was a committee that voted to recommend to ONCB that cannabis be reclassified as a cat 5 narcotic.

So the ONCB must approve this resolution.

Then the FDA must amend the cannabis laws.

Seems quite convoluted, especially when compared to how easy it was for Anutin ( as Minister/MoPH) to decriminalize it with a simple document.

I don't think there is any one person, with power/agency, who really wants to push this recriminalization through, in essence going against one of the five most powerful people in the Kingdom (Anutin).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/6/2024 at 2:33 PM, ChaiyaTH said:

Will be amazing exact in the middle of high season: people smoking legal on christmas, last day of the year, to then be arrested, fined at a court + deported on 1st jan '25? This together with the taxes, I guess all clears up fast around happy new year, will make my decision easy, to leave Thailand for Vietnam with my family. 

Already figured out the new school, housing, visa and more. It is all easier and better for people who actually contribute and employ. Smoking weed would also be the exact same as you can already do that here everywhere in Vietnam too. Same to buy good indoor.

A fine, if it is not a bribe, legally by court on the first time, is only a 100 dollars anyway. And the only time that happened so far was when a French guy was growing hundreds of plants in his garden in Hanoi lol.

I will laugh so so hard, if Vietnam decides to open medical shops, in 1-2 years from now, while Thailand fked up, again.

You are going to leave, with your family, just so you can get stoned?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/6/2024 at 2:27 PM, Wuvu2 said:

Turning millions of people from law-abiding citizens into criminals is a recipe for social unrest. They'll never get the ganja toothpaste back into the tube 😆

I think they will nut I think some of the paste will be allowed vis medical certificate challenge is going to be who and where you can get the certificate.  I think it will be hospital only.

They have to get a grip on the unlicensed sale of mj at all these pop up location that really don't care about the rules.

Anutin was in position that the pprp needed to give him something.  The question is what does MFP want.  They hold the power.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

I think they will nut I think some of the paste will be allowed vis medical certificate challenge is going to be who and where you can get the certificate.  I think it will be hospital only.

They have to get a grip on the unlicensed sale of mj at all these pop up location that really don't care about the rules.

Anutin was in position that the pprp needed to give him something.  The question is what does MFP want.  They hold the power.

I think you'll find Anutin's party + Senators have a controlling number in the government, plus control of the EC.

Any opponents will be either removed from office, or sidelined from any of the money making trough posts.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

Weed shops in my neighborhood seem to be closed.

They normally don't open before noon. 😲

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Anutin messed up by so rapidly and vaguely decriminalising without adequate regulation to make things watertight especially about recreational use: who, when and where. So many then jumped on the apparently unrestricted free market to grow, supply and sell. What an opportunity to be in at the start whether as grower, middleman or retailer. It's a huge industry already with large and small businesses. Recriminalising will abruptly end legitimate currently legal businesses large and small, ruin the smaller investors, and put those below them out of work and back on the street until arrested for dealing. Recriminalising won't stop it, just drive it back in to the hands of the mafia gangs and black market distribution.

Most of the big shops will stay active although there may be fewere around.  That is because they are owned by the big money people.  They will stay open as locatios for people with "medical certificate' can purchase much like a pharmacy.

There does seem to be a need for the government to step in and set up regulations to stop the pop ups and the people selling off of a cardboard box one th side of the street.

I fuly agree this is Anutin's screw upand I would love to see how much money he got for it. 

Can’t wait to see what Anutin is going to tell all the rural people he encouraged to get into the business in one form or another. 

“Well, it was a great 2 years, now shut down your business and retire. What, you can’t retire yet? And you invested your life savings into this? And you have no other employment options? Well, whose fault is that? You know I was only kidding when I told you to get into the business to begin with, right?”

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, RSD1 said:

Can’t wait to see what Anutin is going to tell all the rural people he encouraged to get into the business in one form or another. 

“Well, it was a great 2 years, now shut down your business and retire. What, you can’t retire yet? And you invested your life savings into this? And you have no other employment options? Well, whose fault is that? You know I was only kidding when I told you to get into the business to begin with, right?”

Yes,a lot of people received a license for growing,round them all up and put them in jail?

what a major fook up.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, jvs said:

Yes,a lot of people received a license for growing

The last tally I saw was that 1.1 MILLION people had registered to grow. Obviously not all are growing today but still.

And somewhere around 6,000 shops have been legally licensed to sell cannabis.

No clue how many of the 35 million tourists might indulge, or what the local uptake is

38 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

The last tally I saw was that 1.1 MILLION people had registered to grow. Obviously not all are growing today but still.

And somewhere around 6,000 shops have been legally licensed to sell cannabis.

No clue how many of the 35 million tourists might indulge, or what the local uptake is

How many people are growing who did not register? we certainly did not,why draw attention to yourself?

In many villages people have been growing and using for cooking and indulging for generations!

In those places the plants are going to be moved to the back of the house again,like before.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

or what the local uptake is

There was a recent government statistic that 10 million locals use it now, which is 1 in 7. The article I linked above says 5 million users, but I think that number is  too low. I think the number of users was 1 or 2 million only prior to legalization. Don't know how they're gonna get those 8 million new recreational users to quit. Good luck. 

Found the article. It was from Thai PBS Wold back in February:

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/is-thailands-love-hate-relationship-with-legal-cannabis-coming-to-an-end/

It says the following below. So it went from about 1 million local users up to about 10 million. That's now about 15% of the Thai population. What do you do now with all these users? And the agro industry that relies upon them?

Cannabis has soared in popularity among Thais since being removed from the narcotics list two years ago and launched into an almost unregulated market. Estimates suggest the number of cannabis users in Thailand has rocketed 10 times to about 10 million – around one in seven people – since it became the first country in Asia to decriminalize the herb.

• Haha 1

On 7/5/2024 at 7:12 AM, HugoFastor said:

Let's see. Still never know what will really happen in the land of flip-flops and the hub of u-turns. 
Great news.  Refer Madness is destroying Thailand

Screenshot2024-07-05at6_06_05PM.thumb.jpeg.addcf81458dade773c2282974edc7cbb.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, jvs said:

Yes,a lot of people received a license for growing,round them all up and put them in jail?

what a major fook up.

Does the proposed legislation revoke existing grower licences?

6 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I am not sure about that but it sure would take the wind out of their sails?

Something like you can have a gas station but only allowed to put air in tires,not really what the intention was right?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

It will unlikely affect growers because they will still be allowed to grow to supply to the medical cannabis industry. They might also be able to export to other countries where they need medical use supply. The truth is though that most of the growers are probably supplying mainly to the domestic recreational use market. So I suspect they're gonna suffer greatly if the laws change in Thailand to turn it into a criminal narcotic again. 

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...