Orban’s Moscow Visit Sparks Discord Within the European Union

image.png.55f73f25c03f84556dfb313f12517e3f.png

In a move that has generated significant controversy within the European Union, Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban traveled to Moscow for a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin. This visit comes just days after Orban's trip to Kyiv, where he met with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky. The visit, described by Orban's spokesman Zoltan Kovacs as a "peace mission," aims to foster peace negotiations between Russia and Ukraine, a proposal Ukrainian leaders have firmly rejected due to concerns that Putin would only seek Ukraine's capitulation.

Orban's journey marks the first official visit by an EU leader to Russia since the early months of the Ukraine invasion. Austrian Chancellor Karl Nehammer made a similar trip in April 2022. For Orban, it was his first face-to-face meeting with Putin since their encounter in October 2023 on the sidelines of an international summit in Beijing.

image.png.3fa1901d701c0a4ed786d8e52c4012e7.png

The timing of Orban's visit is particularly contentious as Hungary has just taken over the European Union's rotating presidency. German Chancellor Olaf Scholz expressed his surprise, noting that he had not been informed of Orban's plans and emphasizing that Orban was not representing the European Union. Josep Borrell Fontelles, the EU's top diplomat, clarified that Orban's visit was strictly within the bilateral relations of Hungary and Russia, asserting that Orban was not acting on behalf of the EU.

The unannounced nature of the trip, revealed only after Orban's plane landed in Moscow, further fueled the dismay among EU officials. Charles Michel, president of the European Council, stressed that the EU rotating presidency does not have a mandate to engage with Russia on the EU's behalf, reiterating that Russia is the aggressor in the conflict and that Ukraine is the victim. He emphasized that any discussions about Ukraine must involve Ukraine directly.

Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk also took to social media to address Orban, expressing disbelief and concern over the visit. The general stance among Western leaders has been to avoid meetings with Putin since the invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, aiming to isolate him on the international stage. However, leaders outside the West, including China’s Xi Jinping and India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi, have continued to engage with Putin.

Orban's Moscow visit underscores the deep divisions within the EU regarding the approach to Russia and the ongoing conflict in Ukraine. While Orban claims to be pursuing peace, the broader EU consensus remains focused on supporting Ukraine and condemning Russian aggression. This discord highlights the complexities and challenges the EU faces in maintaining a unified front in its foreign policy and its stance on the Ukraine conflict.

Credit: NYT 2024-07-06

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, CharlieKo said:

That is BS, on numerous times he has looked to start peace talks. It is the west that refuse to talk. Whence the backlash towards Orban going to Russia and the EU saying he doesn't talk for them. Amazing how the west is happy for Ukraine to fight Russia while the west watch from the sidelines.   

Ukraine can't win this war but the west aren't going to admit that. Just as long as they themselves don't have to fight Russia. 

Spot on, when if any imop have you heard talks of peace by the 

Masterdebater biden

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, CharlieKo said:

I haven't been duped. Your comment is projection. The duped listen to and accept all the MSM have to say without seeing what the other side have to say and then making your own mind up. When was the last time you read RT? Don't tell me that RT is nothing but propaganda. It is obvious that the EU are not interested in Peace. Or they might of had supported Orban's trip to Russia if only to have an idea what Putin has said!

I don't mind your point of view. And you should question "all the MSM have to say". But do you questions your own sources? If your source for news is RT then state that clearly. If you have other sources, state them clearly. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Do you remember WW2 ? Europe and Russia in ruins, America became the undisputed leader.
The history is going to repeat itself.
The US will leave NATO (Trump promised that) and will watch from the other side of the ocean how Russia and Europe ruin each other "because of Ukraine".
Orban seems to prefer to not participate in it.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, CharlieKo said:

Educate yourself! google The Maidan uprising of 2014. Then google the Minsk accords, which the west admitted they had no intension of adhering to. Then you might understand why Russia went into the Ukraine!

What questions have you asked your own sources? 
How many Ukrainian citizens have you talked to?
Have you talked to Ukrainian citizens in different parts of the country?
Why do you consider yourself more educated on these topic than others? What questions have you asked your own sources? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, CharlieKo said:

I am giving my own opinion. I am not stating any facts that need a source to back it up. If you don't understand my comments then there really isn't anything to debate. As for parroting, Your insistence that I provide some sort of source to back up what is just an opinion, is doing what you claim I am doing. Parroting a specific line! 

So just purely coincidentally your opinions mirror Kremlin propaganda talking points.

That's the ticket.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1