Average Saleries For Thai Women Who Do Not Have a College Degree

I had to overnight in Surathani town , to get my car serviced.  I went out for a couple of beers with a friend and her friends. all singles, early 30's. a mix of men and women. They spoke limited English. we chatted about music and jobs,, 2 guys had taxis - one was a Grab taxi, the other had managed to own a car. the women were usually sales clerks in retail shops. they earn approx. 12.5k-16k a month. the higher number includes sales commission the lower figure means no or very little commission earned in a month. most of these Thais were single. some lived with parents, had a boyfriend or girl friend. one of the others was divorced with 2 kids at school. rented a house and was making car payments. no support from the ex-husband (which apparently is normal). The singles - I can see managing fine, (just about). Had a good time, practiced my limited Thai and split - as I'm married. I did squeeze out of the the single mother, that, yes, maybe she was in debt (mafia loans) . Despite high schooling, she was happy to pay 10% interest per month on her loans.? I and my expat wife have lived here for 26 years. This was a first for me, to see how younger Thais live. my question is - are these salaries typical for socially capable of working in a senior retail sales job, respectably dressed Thai adults (men and women). cheers,

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2024 at 7:45 PM, Celsius said:

26 years in Thailand and you are just figuring this out?

'all hat and no cattle' ?, as they say in Texas. 🙂

Yes, those are typical salaries for service industry jobs.  Even with a degree, entry level jobs are at a similar level. 

Most packages will include an annual bonus (or a 13 month salary scheme) and thus is often used to reduce the debt built up throughout the year.

I know people working in Central Bangkok who spend half their salary on commuting.

• Like 2

It seems some Thais try to find work with lots of OT Over Time possibilities.

A couple of extra hours every day, extra hours on the weekends.

At the end, they still earn little, but at least more as if they would have only the 8-5 job.

For people in the service industry, like waiters, tips are a big part of the income. And, at least in the better places, the 10% service charge. 

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

At the end, they still earn little, but at least more as if they would have only the 8-5 job.

For people in the service industry, like waiters, tips are a big part of the income. And, at least in the better places, the 10% service charge. 

feed back i get from the service staff at various Sizzler outlets i eat at, is that customers using QR do NOT add a tip. In fact, well to do Thais are notoriously cheap with tipping. hell, i'll even tip the petrol station staff.

• Like 2

Personally, I think it makes a big difference if I have to go to a cashier and pay there, or if there is mostly one waitress responsible for my table.

If there is one "personal" waitress, then likely I will tip.

If there is just someone on the cash register, and sometimes a tipping-jar is hidden, then I likely won't give them tip.

17 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

did u at least get a haircut??? and yes you can have them go hungry...you enable them....pain is a motivator.....smh

I'm sure she'll pay me back, but does her teen son deserve to feel pain for his mother's poor money management skills?

Edited by BritManToo

16 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

which station?  ill come and put the nozzle in your tank and squeeze..and u can tip me....i can imagine the look on their faces..

you'll have to buy a bicycle, to follow me around......gas stations, restaurants, parking lots. it will keep you busy from posting mentally challenging responses 🙂

On 7/5/2024 at 8:29 PM, Gottfrid said:

Don´t mind this comment. It´s just other lost soul, that think all of Thailand can be found in a bar.

I don't agree with you very often, but you are correct.

• Thanks 1

On 7/5/2024 at 1:10 PM, Yellow Fever said:

Pretty simple, the average salary of a Thai woman (or ladyboy) is how much the farang spends on her 

there speaks someone who has no idea about thailand. they are missing out on so much.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/5/2024 at 7:39 PM, BritManToo said:

I don't think many foreigners realise how hard life is for single moms in Thailand

I agree

My gf had a baby to a Thai guy, her boyfriend of 5 years, he left her and the baby before my girlfriends son was born.

I met my girlfriend 2 months after her baby was born, she gets very little money (if any) from the father.

My girlfriend has had a few jobs over the 2 years I've known her, Big C, pet store, electronic factory etc. The wage she receives is not enough money to pay for milk, nappies etc, she gives her mother 5000 baht a month to care for her baby.

I give my girlfriend money for this and that, I want to help her, she would not survive on her basic income without me helping her.

I'd say some foreigners think these young single mothers are receiving welfare and garnished wages from the fathers, as they do in the West. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Agree 1

On 7/14/2024 at 2:11 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks to the Internet, so many of them, these days, do freelance work (sex work) on the side after their 9-5, women and trans anyway, at least.

Most wouldn't be caught dead in a bar or parlor, but with websites they have shown their true nature.

Fascinating really.

Just now, FruitPudding said:

Thanks to the Internet, so many of them, these days, do freelance work (sex work) on the side after their 9-5, women and trans anyway, at least.

Most wouldn't be caught dead in a bar or parlor, but with websites they have shown their true nature.

Fascinating really.

And how do you know that?

Many years ago, before "the internet" I looked for girls in Thermae. With my ignorance I asked them about their work. They all seemed to have a regular job, at least that is what they told me. But they were out until 3am or later. And I don't remember any of them telling me the next morning that they had to leave early so that they can go to work.

I don't know the numbers, but I would be surprised if many of the (online) P4P girls have a normal job. Why should they work for a week in a normal job if they can make the same amount of money within a couple of hours?

• Like 1

On 7/5/2024 at 7:10 PM, Yellow Fever said:

Pretty simple, the average salary of a Thai woman (or ladyboy) is how much the farang spends on her 

What if she is a secretary???

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And how do you know that?

Talking to them on Thaifriendly and Tinder.

Lots work in malls, offices, salons, shops, even some even in clinics, hospitals and schools!!    And loads of students, of course.

Many years ago, before "the internet" I looked for girls in Thermae. With my ignorance I asked them about their work. They all seemed to have a regular job, at least that is what they told me. But they were out until 3am or later. And I don't remember any of them telling me the next morning that they had to leave early so that they can go to work.

I dunno why they would stand in the Thermea these days when they can just arrange meetups online from home, lol.

I don't know the numbers, but I would be surprised if many of the (online) P4P girls have a normal job. Why should they work for a week in a normal job if they can make the same amount of money within a couple of hours?

You could say the same about your Thermae women who say they have real jobs.

7 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Yeah, that was my point. They didn't have real jobs.

And I would be surprised if many of the women who regularly look for customers online have any real job, except maybe gogo-dancer.

There is not much point working in a "real job" for peanuts if you can make a lot more online. 

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yeah, that was my point. They didn't have real jobs.

And I would be surprised if many of the women who regularly look for customers online have any real job, except maybe gogo-dancer.

There is not much point working in a "real job" for peanuts if you can make a lot more online. 

It's just the way it is. 🤷 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

Talking to them on Thaifriendly and Tinder.

Lots work in malls, offices, salons, shops, even some even in clinics, hospitals and schools!!    And loads of students, of course.

I dunno why they would stand in the Thermea these days when they can just arrange meetups online from home, lol.

what's Tinder?  asking for a friend

Edited by paddypower
spell
  • Confused 1