Why is Thailand so terrible at sport?

7 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I don't care what anyone says, these same deluded people probably think darts is a sport too. I have seen photo's of darts champions and the vast majority look overweight.

Can you post a photo of a Chess champion?

I doubt the IOC whom do recognize chess as a sport would give a flying fkuc what you think.

23 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I doubt the IOC whom do recognize chess as a sport would give a flying fkuc what you think.

and I don't give a flying fkuc what the IOC think either. I would suggest they take up dominoes then they can say that is a sport as well. :clap2:

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, tgw said:

it's no coincidence that Thailand is much better at women's sports than men's. sports require effort.

Most Thai boys or mommy's boys, never pushed to do anything they don't  want to do.

Army for boys is like a scout camp at the most, unless you are specialized or down at the border.

Edited by Hummin

Posted (edited)

Poor @Yamu was torn down suggesting Thai men are quite submissive, yet here we are again back to the subject unprompted because there is some truth to it, there are a lot of bullies on this forum that need to take a good hard look at themselves such as @RSD1 for example who are quick to shut down anything they find “triggering”, it’s not our problem you are unable to handle a wide range of subjects.. some of which are unpleasant, if you can’t handle the heat.. stay out of the kitchen! 

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

I don't care what anyone says, these same deluded people probably think darts is a sport too. I have seen photo's of darts champions and the vast majority look overweight.

Can you post a photo of a Chess champion?

Thailand have no Grand masters in Chess ever.

Google Magnus Carlsen, he is quite fit, and have a solid exercise regime and the side of his mental training to continue to win tournaments after leaving the throne as world champion undefeated 6 times. 

A ESPN article 

Robert Sapolsky, who studies stress in primates at Stanford University, says a chess player can burn up to 6,000 calories a day while playing in a tournament, three times what an average person consumes in a day. Based on breathing rates (which triple during competition), blood pressure (which elevates) and muscle contractions before, during and after major tournaments, Sapolsky suggests that grandmasters' stress responses to chess are on par with what elite athletes experience.

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/27593253/why-grandmasters-magnus-carlsen-fabiano-caruana-lose-weight-playing-chess

3 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Poor @Yamu was torn down suggesting Thai men are quite submissive, yet here we are again back to the subject unprompted because there is some truth to it, there are a lot of bullies on this forum that need to take a good hard look at themselves such as @RSD1 for example who are quick to shut down anything they find triggering, it’s not our problem you are unable to handle a wide range of subjects.. some of which are unpleasant, if you can’t handle the heat.. stay out of the kitchen! 

How many times have you been removed from the kitchen.........?  :whistling:.........🤣

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Thailand have no Grand masters in Chess ever.

Google Magnus Carlsen, he is quite fit, and have a solid exercise regime and the side of his mental training to continue to win tournaments after leaving the throne as world champion undefeated 6 times. 

A ESPN article 

Robert Sapolsky, who studies stress in primates at Stanford University, says a chess player can burn up to 6,000 calories a day while playing in a tournament, three times what an average person consumes in a day. Based on breathing rates (which triple during competition), blood pressure (which elevates) and muscle contractions before, during and after major tournaments, Sapolsky suggests that grandmasters' stress responses to chess are on par with what elite athletes experience.

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/27593253/why-grandmasters-magnus-carlsen-fabiano-caruana-lose-weight-playing-chess

I still say that any game or pastime which does not require any physical effort is not a sport.

2 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I still say that any game or pastime which does not require any physical effort is not a 

I tend to agree, but as the ESPN article state, some physical efforts is involved just by thinking and the stress a high level game creates. 

Target shooting with gun and rifle? Do you need physical effort to pull a trigger? More than moving a chess piece?

3 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Poor @Yamu was torn down suggesting Thai men are quite submissive, yet here we are again back to the subject unprompted because there is some truth to it, there are a lot of bullies on this forum that need to take a good hard look at themselves such as @RSD1 for example who are quick to shut down anything they find “triggering”, it’s not our problem you are unable to handle a wide range of subjects.. some of which are unpleasant, if you can’t handle the heat.. stay out of the kitchen! 

Hapless and hopeless. Carry on. 

I have been to a few international Thai rugby matches, and they are competitive with their neighbours.  
Rather than condemn minor nations because you don’t see them on your televised Olympics, maybe you might want to go and see the nation in international competition.

3 hours ago, Hummin said:

I tend to agree, but as the ESPN article state, some physical efforts is involved just by thinking and the stress a high level game creates. 

Target shooting with gun and rifle? Do you need physical effort to pull a trigger? More than moving a chess piece?

Shooting a gun is not a sport, and neither is fishing.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

I still say that any game or pastime which does not require any physical effort is not a sport.

Maybe that's what you would say, but "sport" is a word that has a precise definition.

Card Games (Poker, Bridge), Chess, Golf are sports.

But they aren't "athletic sports".

6 hours ago, tgw said:

Maybe that's what you would say, but "sport" is a word that has a precise definition.

Card Games (Poker, Bridge), Chess, Golf are sports.

But they aren't "athletic sports".

Golf is a sport if you are walking the full course and not putiing your lazy @ss in a buggy. but when you have the likes of darts on the same page as football, that is a big No No. 

• Thumbs Up 1

'Why did you mention snooker in a sports topic? Snooker, like Pool and Billiards are not sports, they are just pub games trying to put balls in a hole with a piece of stick.'

Can't agree with this NoShow. 

Snooker is an activity that is mentally and physically tiring. It requires a high degree of co-ordination, strength at times, and concentration.

The last time I scored 147, I was exhausted. That was my aggregate over a whole bloody year! 

• Thumbs Up 1

They're too busy sexting, playing on their mobiles, or watching Tiktok to be able to find time to concentrate on sport.

Plus it's too hot to do outdoor sport most of the time. Perhaps why they're only good at sports like; badminton, Muay Thai, boxing as they're indoor / covered arena sports.

Posted (edited)

It’s definitely some sort of cultural thing. Back home guys who get obsessed with things and do them everyday for hours are a dime a dozen. In Thailand that kind of passion does not exist. And when someone does exude that level of passion here, Thais ask stupid things like: “what is wrong with him, he needs to take a break, baa falang”

Edited by Robert Paulson

4 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

It’s definitely some sort of cultural thing. Back home guys who get obsessed with things and do them everyday for hours are a dime a dozen. In Thailand that kind of passion does not exist. And when someone does exude that level of passion here, Thais ask stupid things like: “what is wrong with him, he needs to take a break, baa falang”

Many locals seem to be very devoted to Soccer and Muay Thai boxing !

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Many locals seem to be very devoted to Soccer and Muay Thai boxing !

Except they are terrible at soccer 

even mma has flown past Muay Thai, yet to see a successful Muay Thai fighter transition to ufc for example