Pattaya Contractors Finally Make Headway on Delayed Sukhumvit Road Projects

webfact

image.jpeg

After months of delays and public frustration, much-awaited roadworks on four major intersections of Sukhumvit Road in Pattaya have seen significant progress. This includes the completion of the notoriously stalled projects at Motorway Intersection and North Pattaya Intersection.

The upgrades, initially slated to wrap up by February 2024, hit unforeseen snags, dragging completion well beyond original estimates. Contractors have cited heavy rains and city-ordered pauses to accommodate public events as primary causes for these delays. In response to mounting discontent, Pattaya City enforced a steep penalty, fining contractors 114,125 baht daily for failing to stick to the timeline.

Local drivers and tourists have borne the brunt of the prolonged constructions, enduring traffic disruptions that have plagued the city since April 2023. While recent advancements have been met with relief, lingering concerns remain.

Residents are uneasy about the road quality in some places, pointing out uneven surfaces and unfinished footpaths.

Pattaya’s mayor has unofficially conveyed that significant milestones have been reached, especially at the Motorway and North Pattaya Intersections. Despite this, the city is prepping for a public press conference to address these ongoing issues comprehensively.

Town officials aim to reassure citizens of their commitment to completing the remaining sections efficiently and to a high standard. The community remains vigilant, eager to see proof that their day-to-day will no longer be impeded by sluggish roadworks.

With the finish line seemingly in sight, time will tell if the final touches will align with public expectations and bring an end to what has been a vexing chapter for Pattaya's road infrastructure.

Picture courtesy: Facebook สายตรงนายกเมืองพัทยา

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-07-06

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1

I see new roads or widening of roads like this are made using concrete now. 

Near us there is the turning of single lane roads to two lane roads and Tarmac is not to be see  anywhere.

Is this a cost efficient strategy or just somebody high up who owns a cement plant ?

I prefer the Tarmac over the concrete as it usually gives s smoother ride .

26 minutes ago, NE1 said:

I prefer the Tarmac over the concrete as it usually gives s smoother ride

A smooth ride, now there is a rare commodity here. Last felt it on the motorway and that is probably about it. Hwy 36 after it was rough.. and on a motorbike these days a drain cover every 30m will jolt you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

With the finish line seemingly in sight,

The Railway Road has been 'finished' for years.  It still floods and is dug up every few months or so.

1 hour ago, NE1 said:

Near us there is the turning of single lane roads to two lane roads and Tarmac is not to be see  anywhere.

Is this a cost efficient strategy or just somebody high up who owns a cement plant ?

Concrete lasts longer

7 hours ago, webfact said:

After months of delays and public frustration, much-awaited roadworks on four major intersections of Sukhumvit Road in Pattaya have seen significant progress. This includes the completion of the notoriously stalled projects at Motorway Intersection and North Pattaya Intersection.

Amazing what 6-lace-holes and daily penalty  fines can do.

6 hours ago, NE1 said:

Tarmac has a habit of melting under the sun and heavy traffic... hence concrete

8 hours ago, NE1 said:

The way roads are built here, usually with a road base, compacted and the asphalt places and rolled.....all nice and smooth..for a while. Along comes the rain and overloaded trucks and the dips start to appear...then the surface starts to break up.

They do not build the sub grade well enough to take heavy trucks....concrete last longer that 12 months

14 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

The way roads are built here, usually with a road base, compacted and the asphalt places and rolled.....all nice and smooth..for a while. Along comes the rain and overloaded trucks and the dips start to appear...then the surface starts to break up.

They do not build the sub grade well enough to take heavy trucks....concrete last longer that 12 months

All jobs done with a cut costs attitude or save on materials..... roads get dug up soon after being resurfaced so often.

Pity while all this slow, disruptive work was being done they didn't start work on either overpasses or underpasses for the major Pattaya intersections with Sukhumvit that don't have either.  Three underpasses were planned, but, so far, only one has been built.  The overpass work on Sukhumvit that was done south of Pattaya should continue through the Pattaya section of the road--or underpasses.