Opening a Thai Bank Account

To open a Thai bank account you need to have a visa that gives you residency status. So to apply for a retirment visa I need a Thai bank account with 800,000 baht in it ot for a marriage visa 400,000 baht. So can somebody explain to me how I get the visa if I can't open a bank account?

35 minutes ago, James9999 said:

To open a Thai bank account you need to have a visa that gives you residency status. So to apply for a retirment visa I need a Thai bank account with 800,000 baht in it ot for a marriage visa 400,000 baht. So can somebody explain to me how I get the visa if I can't open a bank account?

I would guess, that a O-Visa or OA-Visa should be OK for satisfy.
But I saw myself now some banks ask for a tax number, which seems much more complicated, especially, when you just start to living in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Many banks require a work permit to open a bank account....BUT

Your best bet, if you do NOT use a agent is visit bank branches in LARGE malls explaining at SERVICE DESK, Immigration requires you to have a bank account to process a retirement "visa". It took me 3 bank branches to find one that would open for me.

Passport, TM-30 was required  - it also helps if you  have a lease and utilities in your name.

The tightness is due to possibility of money laundering.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, James9999 said:

To open a Thai bank account you need to have a visa that gives you residency status.

What a statement. Completely nonsensical.

So to apply for a retirment visa I need a Thai bank account with 800,000 baht in it ot for a marriage visa 400,000 baht.

No, you absolutely don't need a Thai bank account to apply for. "retirement" or "marriage" visa. LOL

So can somebody explain to me how I get the visa if I can't open a bank account?

You go to Laos or back to where you came from and apply for a visa.

• Confused 11
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, James9999 said:

If you apply for you non-immigrant visa abroad, you have the right visa upon entering Thailand to open a bank account for extension of stay; be aware of the two month maturing period for the deposit, so open a new bank account with the first two weeks after you entered Thailand. Most banks wish an address-confirmation for a Thai address, which you can get from your local immigration office, provided that your host has registered a TM30-form with your name and details.

If you enters Thailand visa exempt or by tourist-visa, and intend to domestically change your visa to a non-immigrant, where you need a deposit of fund transferred from abroad, it might be a bit more difficult to open a new Thai bank account. The best advise is to shop around, as it's often up to the branch-manager to decide, if the branch will open an account for a foreigner.

• Like 1

So Celsius what you are saying is that I can walk into any bank and open an account. I tried that. Took one look at my passport and said no.

"What a statement. Completely nonsensical. " I will ask again. How do meet the 800,000 baht requirement if I don't have a bank account into which deposit 800,000 baht. I know this might seem like a daft question to ask expats but then I know f**k all about about how to go about it.

• Like 2

"If you enters Thailand visa exempt or by tourist-visa, and intend to domestically change your visa to a non-immigrant, where you need a deposit of fund transferred from abroad, it might be a bit more difficult to open a new Thai bank account. The best advise is to shop around, as it's often up to the branch-manager to decide, if the branch will open an account for a foreigner. " This another thing that I dont understand. To get visa exempt stamp I should need a confirmed flight out with 30 days so do I book a flight out, get the visa then throw the flight away. just come to Thailand on a one way ticket with the cheapest exit flight available?

"A visa is obtained outside of Thailand and you do not need a Thai bank account to do that." Whay type of visa do I need to apply for. I am still utterly confused as to how I satisfy the 800,000 baht requirement since most people don't have the odd £17,400 kicking about.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, James9999 said:

This another thing that I dont understand. To get visa exempt stamp I should need a confirmed flight out with 30 days so do I book a flight out, get the visa then throw the flight away. just come to Thailand on a one way ticket with the cheapest exit flight available?

This statement would indicate you are not yet in Thailand.

If you plan to come to Thailand long term it would be best to arrive with a Non O visa. This can then be used to open an account, an ME visa would be better but they are more difficult to obtain these days. 

1 hour ago, Celsius said:

No, you absolutely don't need a Thai bank account to apply for. "retirement" or "marriage" visa. LOL

Out of curiosity, how do you prove you have 400K or 800K in a Thai bank account, without having a Thai bank account? 

I'm sure you can get a convertible visa without one, but not the retirement or marriage extension.

"This statement would indicate you are not yet in Thailand.

If you plan to come to Thailand long term it would be best to arrive with a Non O visa. This can then be used to open an account, an ME visa would be better but they are more difficult to obtain these days."

I am in Thailand now visa exempt but I am returning to the UK. I want to know for the future how I go about staying longer term.

khunper said "If you enters Thailand visa exempt or by tourist-visa, and intend to domestically change your visa to a non-immigrant, where you need a deposit of fund transferred from abroad, it might be a bit more difficult to open a new Thai bank account. "

9 minutes ago, James9999 said:

"A visa is obtained outside of Thailand and you do not need a Thai bank account to do that." Whay type of visa do I need to apply for. I am still utterly confused as to how I satisfy the 800,000 baht requirement since most people don't have the odd £17,400 kicking about.

You apply for the visa at your local Thai embassy or consulate. There is no 800K baht requirement for a visa, that is the requirement for a visa extension done in Thailand.

The fact you have used the £ symbol would indicate you are in the UK, as far as I am aware it was £10K for the one year ME Non O retirement and £1000 for the 90 day visa. A friend of mine does retirement and he just shows them his pension letter and whatever is in his current account at the time.

The UK uses the online e-visa system and fairly sure the ME version is still unavailable.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, James9999 said:

I am in Thailand now visa exempt but I am returning to the UK. I want to know for the future how I go about staying longer term.

khunper said "If you enters Thailand visa exempt or by tourist-visa, and intend to domestically change your visa to a non-immigrant, where you need a deposit of fund transferred from abroad, it might be a bit more difficult to open a new Thai bank account. "

I'm not meaning to be a smart ass here, but sometimes the best thing to do is find a visa agent to help you with the details.  Contrary to urban myth, they're not all dodgy.  A lot of guys use them just so they get all the paperwork right and don't have to wait in queues.  For a first timer, that's the way I'd go. 

I'd suggest contacting one before you leave Thailand (if you have enough time before your flight).  If they can help you, it'll be a couple hundred USD.  If they can't, you've lost nothing but your time.  And you'll have a better idea what your best options are.

Keep in mind that the "rules" may be a constant, but how they're interpreted can vary by bank, by branch and by Immigration Office- even by your nationality.  Agents keep up with all of that.

Edited by impulse
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, impulse said:
2 hours ago, Celsius said:

Out of curiosity, how do you prove you have 400K or 800K in a Thai bank account, without having a Thai bank account? 

Because you can not apply for a visa inside Thailand, you apply for a visa in your home country, and as such have to show the money in an account in your home country.

23 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm not meaning to be a smart ass here, but sometimes the best thing to do is find a visa agent to help you with the details.  Contrary to urban myth, they're not all dodgy.

Oh yes they are, because they only can open a bank account with Bangkok bank, since there is someone dodgy there who accepts money to bend the rules. Try going to Bangkok bank yourself, and see if you can open an account.

Same for the TT3, to show you have sent money from abroad, which you haven't, also only can be bought at Bangkok bank

• Confused 1

"' suggest contacting one before you leave Thailand (if you have enough time before your flight).  If they can help you, it'll be a couple hundred USD.  If they can't, you've lost nothing but your time.  And you'll have a better idea what your best options are."

To be honest I think my budget might be a bit tight and I already looking at ways to cut costs. This is not anything that has any immediate urgency. I am just trying to understand a lot of conflicting rules. I am never certain whether on a retirement visa I am expected to have an annual income equivalent to 800,000 but deposited on a monthly or what ever basis or that at what ever time you apply and then annually you have 800,000 baht sitting in the bank. If it is then the question is academic as I dont have a spare 800,000 baht kicking about.

When I read the rules it say and that equates to 800,000 baht a year or words to that effect and authenticated by the applicants Embassy. Which as far as I know no Embassy will do. The UK one doesn't I am lead to believe.

"Because you can not apply for a visa inside Thailand, you apply for a visa in your home country, and as such have to show the money in an account in your home country. " But when enquiring at an Immigration office that is eactly what they told me to do. Get a visa extension to cover the period that the application was pending then either apply for the retirement visa needing 800,000 baht or marriage visa only requiring 400,000 baht. The visa is then converted to retirement or marriage. In addition I needed to be put on the house book of where ever I was residing.

1 hour ago, James9999 said:

I am still utterly confused as to how I satisfy the 800,000 baht requirement since most people don't have the odd £17,400 kicking about.

So you don't have 17,400 pound but you want to retire in Thailand?

2 minutes ago, James9999 said:

. " But when enquiring at an Immigration office that is eactly what they told me to do. Get a visa extension to cover the period that the application was pending then either apply for the retirement visa needing 800,000 baht or marriage visa only requiring 400,000 baht. The visa is then converted to retirement or marriage. In addition I needed to be put on the house book of where ever I was residing.

Try to learn the quote function on this forum first.

If you apply for a Visa in the UK, you have a visa, and you can open a bank account in Thailand, to apply for your extension in 1 or 2 years.

@khunPer explained that to you already

"So you don't have 17,400 pound but you want to retire in Thailand?" I don't understand the point your are making? What is wrong with having a monthly income in exccess of £2333 per month. That equates to 1,287,816 baht a year exceeding the 800,000 limit. Is that not enough to live on in Thailand that you should then need a current balance of 800,000 baht sitting in the bank doing nothing. I fail to see why you need both, a balalance of not less than 800,000 and an income exceeding 800,000. Or did I misunderstand you?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, khunPer said:

The best advise is to shop around, as it's often up to the branch-manager to decide, if the branch will open an account for a foreigner.

Yes. And if the person at the desk says 'Cannot" then ask to see the manager. I had a branch refuse even to give me a new passbook where I happened to be in one part of Bangkok, saying I had to go to my own branch. There wasn't time that day so I asked to see the manager and he okayed it. They can do things if they want to, but sometimes don't know how so tell you it's impossible. Often, it isn't. Just one of the pleasures of trying to achieve anything here.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sure, walk around in the heat or rain for a few days trying to open an account.  it is very difficult.

I would save myself time and energy and hire an agent.  And, if someone says it is corruption they need to read the definition of corruption.

They are assisting you with a service, that is it.  Pay and get it over with.

25 minutes ago, James9999 said:

"So you don't have 17,400 pound but you want to retire in Thailand?" I don't understand the point your are making? What is wrong with having a monthly income in exccess of £2333 per month. That equates to 1,287,816 baht a year exceeding the 800,000 limit. Is that not enough to live on in Thailand that you should then need a current balance of 800,000 baht sitting in the bank doing nothing. I fail to see why you need both, a balalance of not less than 800,000 and an income exceeding 800,000. Or did I misunderstand you?

Yes if you can,  avoid depositing anything into Thai bank account. The money is of course enough to retire unless you get lucky enough to experience "Thai healthcare". 

Then money not enough.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

As said, get your visa before you come, or in Laos, and then extend later an on subsequent years in Thailand. Yes, i had a hassle trying to open a new account in Thailand, had one already but wanted a better account - took me 5 attempts and one and half hours to do the paperwork when they did agree (they also throw hurdles in your path). Keep trying. If you want/need to do the 400,000/800,000  in a Thai bank, rather than on monthly income, and you do not have enough cash - borrow it in the UK, repay over 7 years, not that expensive - that is what i did when they stopped accepting Embassy income letters for extensions.

Finally, if you are going to be living in Thailand, make sure you have enough money..... are you going to work (if you do not have a job lined up, do not count on it)? Do you have enough pension? You said you do not have much cash. What with exchange rate calculations and contingencies, you need 50% more than you calculate you need. Otherwise you WILL end up broke.

During my first year of visit Thai Banks required work permission in order to open Bank account because I wanted Bank account for both my job and my expences stay.

I worked in "black job" in a foreign company and I need it so I drop over to Malays in order to access my Bank account with my Bank account in Dubai (not many moneys).

I want to ask Passport, TM-30 -a lease - utilities in your name is.........tightness of money laundering?

Are you kidding?

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, CallumWK said:

Because you can not apply for a visa inside Thailand, you apply for a visa in your home country, and as such have to show the money in an account in your home country.

Yes and no.

The money does not have to be in an account in your home country, it can be anywhere.

I use my Thai account.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, James9999 said:

You need to go back to square one, you are all over the place and full of misinformation. You started on retirement and then started talking about marriage, you need to decide what it is you want.

There are 2 separate scenarios, a visa obtained in the UK and a visa extension obtained from immigration in Thailand.

Visas from the UK can be Non O for marriage or retirement, They used to be available for one year multi entry or 90 days single entry but the ME is unavailable at the moment. The financial requirements shown on the website are the baht equivalents for a one year retirement extension obtained in Thailand. If you search the forum for threads on UK e-visas you will see that visas have been obtained for a fraction of that. If you are married and you can satisfy the requirements that would be the obvious first step.

Once you get to Thailand you would have 90 days to prepare for an extension application. You would need to open a bank account and being in possession of a Non O visa that should be a bit easier. The financial requirement for a Non O marriage extension is 400K in a bank account OR an income of over 40K baht/month. You have to prove the income by showing transfers to a Thai bank every month for 12 months  but this is reduced on your very first extension application. You do not, as you mentioned, have to be registered on any housebook, just have proof of residence.

If you prefer to take the retirement option, the financial requirements for extension are 800K in the bank OR an income of 65K baht/month.

This is a list of the questions that need to be addressed for a marriage visa. Note that Q10 says £10K, this was for the one year. You should deal with funds in Q4 and then in Q10 upload a note referring to Q4.

Official Website of Thailand Electronic Visa_4_Page_1.jpg

Official Website of Thailand Electronic Visa_4_Page_2.jpg

• Like 1