Is it possible to leave Thailand between getting an initial 90-day non-O and extending?

I will turn 50 in Jan and am planning to apply for a retirement visa so I can come and go with no stress. I would also like to get a certificate of residence asap. I need to be elsewhere in Feb and Mar though. Is it possible to apply in Jan, get a certificate of residence and then leave, making sure to return within 90 days to do the extension?

OP, your post makes zero sense.

Certificate of residence is irrelevant.

Which immigration office?

When 50 you can enter Thailand visa exempt or tourist visa and apply for non O retirement OR obtain non O in own country.

You need a Thai bank account in your name only 

OP, once you're on a 90 day non-imm O Visa (Retirement) you can get a Re-entry Permit which will allow you to leave and come back before expiry of the 90 day visa. You also need to allow enough time to apply for the 12 month extension before your 90 day visa expires.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, s_jess said:

I would also like to get a certificate of residence asap. I need to be elsewhere in Feb and Mar though. Is it possible to apply in Jan, get a certificate of residence and then leave, making sure to return within 90 days to do the extension?

I think you have your terminology mixed up and Pattaya57 caught it 👍

You want to apply for the 90 day Non-O visa inside the country THEN you want to get a RE-ENTRY PERMIT <- that lets you exit/re-enter during that 90 days, AND then you want to leave for a bit.

As long as you get the re-entry permit before you leave after getting the 90 day Non-O visa and come back BEFORE the 90 day stamp runs out you'll be fine and be able to get your yearly extension when you come back  

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

OP, once you're on a 90 day non-imm O Visa (Retirement) you can get a Re-entry Permit which will allow you to leave and come back before expiry of the 90 day visa. You also need to allow enough time to apply for the 12 month extension before your 90 day visa expires.

Great, thanks. Do they give you the visa on the day of the application or do I need to leave time for processing? I take it the re-entry permit is just one trip to immigration.

Once I'm back, is a couple of weeks enough to do the extension?

Do you know if they'll give me a certificate of residence based on the unextended 90-day visa?

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, s_jess said:

Do you know if they'll give me a certificate of residence based on the unextended 90-day visa?

You state that you WILL turn 50 in January. You cannot obtain a non O prior to turning 50.

At most immigration offices you could obtain a certificate of residence however at Bangkok you cannot unless you have a 90 day report..

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

You state that you WILL turn 50 in January. You cannot obtain a non O prior to turning 50.

At most immigration offices you could obtain a certificate of residence however at Bangkok you cannot unless you have a 90 day report..

Yes, I will apply for the non O after my birthday. I was thinking that until extended it's only a 90-day permission to stay, which doesn't sound much like "residence" to me, but then I don't know their criteria for issuing certificates of residence. I will be sitting on some money which I want to get invested asap, and am told I need the certificate to open an investment account, so it's better for me if I can get it as soon as I get the initial visa, rather than waiting until it's been extended and I have a 12-month permission to stay.

If you have to have 800k in the bank when you apply for the non O then obviously you need to open a bank account before getting the non O, so in my case when on a tourist visa or visa exempt entry. I thought that was hard to do but I guess it must be possible or most of the people who might want to apply for this type of visa would be in a catch 22. There must be posts about this already so I'll RTF.

19 minutes ago, s_jess said:

I thought that was hard to do but I guess it must be possible or most of the people who might want to apply for this type of visa would be in a catch 22.

Which immigration office will you use? 

BTW you cannot apply for the non O retirement until you turn 50.

Here is a thread that explains process from visa exempt entry stamp to non O retirement 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1311886-visa-exempt-to-retirement-extension-process-and-cost/ 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1325238-procedures-for-non-imm-o-and-one-year-retirement-extension-from-a-visa-excempt-30-day-entry/

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

on the day that you apply for the Non O, you will be given a date to return to have the Non O stamp placed in your passport.  it is typically 10 business days.  i changed from visa exempt to Non O twice (2017 and 2021) at CW in BKK.  both times my 90 day Non O began on the day of application - not the day the stamp was placed in passport.  i've stated this a few times on this forum and others that did the same at CW claim their Non O started the day they got the stamp.  keep that in mind if you are booking travel before you are sure what date your extension is due by/the end date of your 90 day Non O.

• Thanks 1

once, you get a non-O , that may suffice to open a bank account. Hence, don't need the COR,  hopefully you don't need a new TIN, tax ID , 55

ofcourse, yeah, I guess you need the bank account with 800k before the non-O  application.

27 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

Here's how it works at MOST immigration offices

• you meet the requirements,
  • you have a MINIMUM of 15 days left on your current stamp
  • You go to your immigration office apply for the 90 day Non-O visa for 2000baht you get a receipt that says come back in 2 weeks
  • you go back to the office on that date
  • they stamp in the Non-O visa and a new 90 day stamp

THEN

• you'd get a re-entry permit as you said you wanna leave during that 90 days

AND
remember that re-entry permit is ONLY good for those 90 days so you have to be back before that stamp runs out so you can apply for the year extension.

Now as far as the certificate of residence you can't get one in Bangkok until AFTER you've done at least ONE 90 day report and you don't start your 90 day reporting until 90 days AFTER you get your year extension.

I don't know how it is for the other immigration offices, some will issue them on free-stamp entries, some need long term visas, CHECK with the office you use (keeping in mind there are over 80 offices in the country)

just curious if on a non-O from outside the country, are the timeframes the same?  apply with 45-15 days left, 

end up with a notice to come back in 2 weeks to get the stamp in the passport?

3)

so if there are other types of extensions off a non-O obtained out of the country, like +30 days?  In that case, would one do a 90 day report, or is it only for 1 year extensions, based on non-O's ?

4 minutes ago, khlongtoey said:

just curious if on a non-O from outside the country, are the timeframes the same?  apply with 45-15 days left, 

end up with a notice to come back in 2 weeks to get the stamp in the passport?

3)

so if there are other types of extensions off a non-O obtained out of the country, like +30 days?  In that case, would one do a 90 day report, or is it only for 1 year extensions, based on non-O's ?

I had a non-imm O e-visa from Australia and I applied 3 weeks before expiry to get my 12 month extension (can apply for extension anytime between 1-30 days remaining). I applied, picked up passport next day

On other points, you cannot get a 30 day extension to a non-imm O, only the 12 months. The 90 day report only starts 90 days after granting of 12 month extension 

9 minutes ago, khlongtoey said:

so if there are other types of extensions off a non-O obtained out of the country, like +30 days?  In that case, would one do a 90 day report, or is it only for 1 year extensions, based on non-O's ?

There are no 30 day extension to a non O.

You can obtain 12 month extension or if married to thai you can also obtain a 60 day extension 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

I had a non-imm O e-visa from Australia and I applied 3 weeks before expiry to get my 12 month extension (can apply for extension anytime between 1-30 days remaining). I applied, picked up passport next day

On other points, you cannot get a 30 day extension to a non-imm O, only the 12 months. The 90 day report only starts 90 days after granting of 12 month extension 

hmm, so then if the soonest is 45 days (CW is 45, others are 30) and assuming, I were to get the 1 year the next day, add 90 days, and that makes 45+90 or 135days minimum to have obtained/do  a 90 day report and get a slip and then a COR ? or about 5 months?

2)

in general could one do 1 non-O per year, from outside Thailand ?  (last few years I'm doing TR60s with extensions, but will be aiming for maybe 4-5 months in country in 2025).   PS. this will be at CW BKK T.M.

Edited by khlongtoey
a

7 minutes ago, khlongtoey said:

in general could one do 1 non-O per year, from outside Thailand ?  (last few years I'm doing TR60s with extensions, but will be aiming for maybe 4-5 months in country in 2025).   PS. this will be at CW BKK

There are many ways to have a 4-5 month stay in Thailand.

You seem focused on COR.

You will not obtain one at CW without a TM47 report. 

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

There are many ways to have a 4-5 month stay in Thailand.

You seem focused on COR.

You will not obtain one at CW without a TM47 report. 

yes, the COR to renew my Thai DL instead of doing it over later.

1 minute ago, khlongtoey said:

yes, the COR to renew my Thai DL instead of doing it over later.

How did you get a COR previously to obtain your TDL.

BTW: Driving license can renewed up to a year past expiry. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

How did you get a COR previously to obtain your TDL.

BTW: Driving license can renewed up to a year past expiry. 

USEMB Affidavid originally

yes, I'm aware, it expires this December, hence...

Edited by khlongtoey
a

1 minute ago, khlongtoey said:

USEMB Affidavid originally

yes, I'm aware, it expires this December, hence...

Ok understand now..

USA, UK, AU stoped providing "address affidavit"

Agent can obtain COR at eg Pattaya, however that doesn't help much.

You could check it out.

Can't see you obtaining COR at CW immigration 

so *JUST out of curiousity, who are the BKK agents, / where to find same ,  just as a backup , using Thai Bank asset method,  and/or are some legit , and just help folks disabled or confused ;    or technically is it the case that the only legit method is one MUST appear, and/or maybe the agent appears with you ? 

feel free to private message me ,  thanks

17 minutes ago, khlongtoey said:

so *JUST out of curiousity, who are the BKK agents, / where to find same ,  just as a backup , using Thai Bank asset method,  and/or are some legit , and just help folks disabled or confused ;    or technically is it the case that the only legit method is one MUST appear, and/or maybe the agent appears with you

You are over thinking it. For annual extensions (retirement) using money in the bank method.

Agents can do both assist you with you satisfying the financial requirements and also bypassing the financial requirements.

The former we refer to as "hand holding" 

Of course you can do it yourself.

May seem daunting however it's not really difficult 

On 7/9/2024 at 5:07 AM, DrJack54 said:

Which immigration office will you use? 

Chiang Mai

On 7/9/2024 at 5:07 AM, DrJack54 said:

Here is a thread that explains process from visa exempt entry stamp to non O retirement 

Thanks, I'll go through those posts.

You can. I just did it and now am on a one year extension based on retirement.

I was told previously one could not

Lucky you can get straight answers from Dr. Jack and Tod. 

There is a problem with terminology. Agents don't understand what you are talking about  and Chiang Mai immigration vague

The key for me was getting a 90 day non 0 online from US first.

If you can get in your country I recommend it. 

3 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

The key for me was getting a 90 day non 0 online from US first.

If you can get in your country I recommend it. 

The added bonus (prob mentioned already) for those with a non O prior to entering Thailand that would assist greatly with opening a Thai bank account for those that don't have one.

How long did the process take in USA.

@Pattaya57 did the same recently non O retirement obtained in Oz.

Think it only took few days.