What is your opinion on this?

"Spain introduces mandatory black boxes for cars. From July 8, all newly registered vehicles in Spain will come with this safety device pre-installed".

What do you think about this if it would be introduced in Thailand?

No more "Brake failure" excuse.
No more "I was driving at low speed" excuse.

https://spanishnewstoday.com/spain_introduces_mandatory_black_boxes_for_cars_1000091487-a.html?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTAAAR3AeTJnBRtPH3U02g-7IlNObKrjKx_sqFhsFgNqSpv56ZDD3my9s6NVl6U_aem__RpXYPHAH5vWuSRdgd78eA

Clipboard02.png

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Not only in Spain but also in Holland and i am sure all EU countries are going to get this implemented.

Just 1 km over the speed limit and a very annoying beep starts until you slow down.

Cars can read speed signs and act accordingly.

Some day it will be made impossible to go over the speed limit at all!

All in the name of progress i am sure.

• Thumbs Up 1

It might have people hanging on to their older cars for longer.

It might also create an industry in circumventing them.

They would not worry me personally, I am a law-abiding citizen.

12 minutes ago, jvs said:

Not only in Spain but also in Holland and i am sure all EU countries are going to get this implemented.

Just 1 km over the speed limit and a very annoying beep starts until you slow down.

I doubt it,  the loss of revenue would be unacceptable! 

Then again, maybe they would just start citing drivers going less than the posted speed limit.   

I think most new cars, already have it.  Insurance companies will love it, as they can deny your claim now, stating you were operating your vehicle recklessly.  Actually, as it should be, and one can only hope. 

If people actually did the speed limit, I'm pretty sure the accidents would drop 80-90% or more ... IMHO

Too fast for conditions is surely the #1 reason for most accidents.   IMHO

Whether or not that 'black box' can transmit that info, while you are driving would be pretty cool, maybe, :cheesy: and a speeding citation could end up in the mail, or even be deducted from your bank account, before you even returned home, in the future.  Which won't be too far off.

Let that one sink in ... as they do away with cash.   You'll be thankful to live in a 3rd world country/TH, if not already.  As I see that as a reality, in 1st world countries, before I crap out.   Digital money will be the end of your 'freedoms'.   Not enough bandwidth to debate that one.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I think most new cars, already have it.  Insurance companies will love it, as they can deny your claim now, stating you were operating your vehicle recklessly.  Actually, as it should be, and one can only hope. 

If people actually did the speed limit, I'm pretty sure the accidents would drop 80-90% or more ... IMHO

Whether or not that 'black box' can transmit that info, while you are driving would be pretty cool, maybe, :cheesy: and a speeding citation could end up in the mail, or even be deducted from your bank account, before you even returned home, in the future.  Which won't be too far off.

Let that one sink in ... as they do away with cash.   You'll be thankful to live in a 3rd world country/TH, if not already.  As I see that as a reality, in 1st world countries, before I crap out.   Digital money will be the end of your 'freedoms'.   Not enough bandwidth to debate that one.

Some of that "new technology" is already implemented and used in Thailand as well.

As far as I have followed the stories, it seems that Tesla (and many electric cars) are connected with a Database and the dealer can put your car to a complete HALT if you are behind with the payments.

Several other new technology are implemented in the new electric cars.
China is becoming a major producer of electric cars and in China your credit score can be nullified for simply jay-walking in the street.

In a non-distant future, you may find that you want to drive your car to work and the autopilot will drive you to the dealer or the bank.

You are right that the future will be without freedom and I am happy to not be here anymore when that time comes.

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

I doubt it,  the loss of revenue would be unacceptable! 

Then again, maybe they would just start citing drivers going less than the posted speed limit.   

There will be no loss of revenue,like Khunla said,the fine will be deducted from your account.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, jvs said:

There will be no loss of revenue,like Khunla said,the fine will be deducted from your account.

I was responding to jvs' comment which is quoted below.

1 hour ago, jvs said:

"Some day it will be made impossible to go over the speed limit at all!"

Edited by MeePeeMai

Posted (edited)

i still ride my trusty bicycle daily.....its also wrapped in tin foil...u know for the lasers and all......thanks for the tip tho

sidenote your phones and collect data!!!.....clutches pearls...closes curtains...hides under the bed....!!

Edited by Sticky Rice Balls
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Some of that "new technology" is already implemented and used in Thailand as well.

As far as I have followed the stories, it seems that Tesla (and many electric cars) are connected with a Database and the dealer can put your car to a complete HALT if you are behind with the payments.

Several other new technology are implemented in the new electric cars.
China is becoming a major producer of electric cars and in China your credit score can be nullified for simply jay-walking in the street.

In a non-distant future, you may find that you want to drive your car to work and the autopilot will drive you to the dealer or the bank.

You are right that the future will be without freedom and I am happy to not be here anymore when that time comes.

Yes, I don't think people realize 10 ever 20 years ago, when cars were going digital electronic, or have GPS, that was already available in memory data.  When, where, how fast, already stored, just rarely accessed or needed, unless high profile criminal case.

Or an auto maker, trying to get out of an injury/death liability claim :coffee1:

have been living with this working for an American oil service company since the 90ˋíes, but, overall a good solution. 

This is even worse 

Automakers Are Sharing Consumers’ Driving Behavior With Insurance Companies

LexisNexis, which generates consumer risk profiles for the insurers, knew about every trip G.M. drivers had taken in their cars, including when they sped, braked too hard or accelerated rapidly.

Kenn Dahl says he has always been a careful driver. The owner of a software company near Seattle, he drives a leased Chevrolet Bolt. He’s never been responsible for an accident.

So Mr. Dahl, 65, was surprised in 2022 when the cost of his car insurance jumped by 21 percent. Quotes from other insurance companies were also high. One insurance agent told him his LexisNexis report was a factor.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/11/technology/carmakers-driver-tracking-insurance.html

• Thanks 1

A far from ideal situation, and  one that's not going to go away,. Insurance companies were always going to be keen on this sort of technology    Its always rolled out under the guise of "health and safety",or  "for our own good"   but any increase in driving standards or reductions in accidents never seems to be reflected in even the slightest reduction in the cost of insurance premiums.

This kind of intrusion into peoples lives is happening more and more and will continue to do so. most of it we never even hear about, Soon enough  "they" will  manage to do away with cash and will  inflict this digital currency abomination on us.  no doubt combining it with some record of ones "carbon footprint"  "red meat consumption" etc etc  .  Once they have the ability to measure things like that, "appropriate limits" will be set , which  would be a pretty  pointless exercise  unless  some sort of  punitive social credit score system  also be implemented, to punish those who exceed the limits or fail to comply,

Bearing in mind the rather unpredictable and somewhat unreliable performance of freshly rolled out and relatively new technology especially now its likely to include AI i think things in general are going to become a whole lot worse for everybody   

On reflection, I am much happier to now be in the autumn years of life, and I'm glad I'm not just starting out   never thought I'd think this way but I genuinely believe that pretty much the best of everything is behind us now, and the future is bleak 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, jvs said:

Au contraire, mon cher.

The vat on each black-box x the number of cars = cash for the governments 

• Agree 1

It's not just the box, it is someone who can read it.. 

If there is a collision in EU or UK it can take days for the incident to be analysed accurately. 

In Thailand an untrained BIB looks at it and makes the most convenient excuse he can and within a couple of hours the whole thing is forgotten.

As you learn nothing from this there can be no improvement in road safety.

THe black box is a useful analytical tool  - in the right hands - in Thailand it's just a gimmick unless they train up RTI officers in the first place.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Yes, I don't think people realize 10 ever 20 years ago, when cars were going digital electronic, or have GPS, that was already available in memory data.  When, where, how fast, already stored, just rarely accessed or needed, unless high profile criminal case.

Or an auto maker, trying to get out of an injury/death liability claim :coffee1:

well all commercial vehicles in EU are fitted with Tachos - so that's more or less the same thing.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jvs said:

The change is indeed EU-wide law, starting as of two days ago: all newly registered car will have an automatic speed limiter.

That this change has been coming has been known for several years now, so zero surprise for anybody.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, jvs said:

It is good to make the world a bit safer, but,

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jvs said:

And yet another source of revenue for governments will disappear, along with extortionate tax rates on petrol and diesel and of course the road tax due on the vehicles that use those fuels.   The money lost as a result of this will have to be found elsewhere, Anybody considering or currently owning a battery powered car would do well to bear this in mind.  It won't happen for a while, as there are not enough of them on the road yet, but once there is, they will be coming for you,  no more cheap road tax or other incentives, and a special tariff for charging up your batteries, probably around 5x the price of normal domestic electricity, or whatever they think they can get away with charging ,  just like they have done before.  The roads still need to be built and maintained    and it all costs money

Another commodity taxed to the hilt , Tobacco, is also being phased out ,  same story , large  loss of revenue, and increased costs, people living a bit longer puts stain on the pension system, and renders them liable to contract a whole host of other age related  diseases like dementia and Alzheimer's .  All needs to be paid for

Once they eventually get round to banning alcohol and AI has put us all out of work  where is the money going to come from for anything ?

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It might also create an industry in circumventing them

In the UK big trucks are limited to 60 mph   try driving at 60 mph on a motorway (when its possible these days) and the majority of those trucks will be flying past you.   

That's the reason the police sneakily drive around at 60mph , its easy for them to see  the trucks  which are either gaining on them or pulling away  

If it reduces the premium, is tamper proof and fully flawless, why not ? Nothing however to beat a well installed dashcam taking footage all around the car.

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

It is good to make the world a bit safer, but

....but actions have consequences, this obsession with saving life is all well and good , but what to do with all these saved lives?  It's one thing inventing a cure for malaria which kills millions every year Its a totally different matter to provide food and water for those millions of extra lives who did not require it before  

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

If all, or at least most, speed limits would make sense, then it wouldn't be a problem if they are enforced and/or if people are reminded to abide by them.

But as far as I remember there are many many speed limits which seem to work according to the principle: This is for inexperienced drivers who don't know the area. And additionally to that, maybe the speed limit is low because of school children in that area, etc.

With modern technology there could be many more "smart" speed limits, maybe if there is a lot or rain or snow, or at certain times of the day, etc.

When I was last in Europe a few years ago, there were a lot more 30km/h areas which used to be 50. IMHO 50 was acceptable, but 30 is just crazy in many areas, especially at night with no children playing on the streets.

It's harassment when authorities want to control people all the time night and day. I wouldn't accept it.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Since many years I ride motorcycles in Bangkok - with no accident.

I got used to the fact that mostly there is no possibility to ride fast. That's it, I accept it.

IMHO a major reason for accidents is that drivers and riders don't keep any safe distance to the vehicle in front of them. When I try to keep a reasonably safe distance, I can be sure that others, mostly motorcycles, will use that space to get in front of me. And then many riders will squeeze between cars and bikes.

If nobody has to suddenly brake, then this might work. But if anybody has to brake or move to the side, then accidents happen. Because too many idiots didn't care about necessary safety distances - even within the speed limits.

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Since many years I ride motorcycles in Bangkok - with no accident.

I got used to the fact that mostly there is no possibility to ride fast. That's it, I accept it.

IMHO a major reason for accidents is that drivers and riders don't keep any safe distance to the vehicle in front of them. When I try to keep a reasonably safe distance, I can be sure that others, mostly motorcycles, will use that space to get in front of me. And then many riders will squeeze between cars and bikes.

If nobody has to suddenly brake, then this might work. But if anybody has to brake or move to the side, then accidents happen. Because too many idiots didn't care about necessary safety distances - even within the speed limits.

I have enjoyed Thailand for many years flying with my motorbikes, just because it have been zero legal consequences. 

5 minutes ago, Sigmund said:

If it reduces the premium, is tamper proof and fully flawless, why not ? Nothing however to beat a well installed dashcam taking footage all around the car.

I would say a natural desire for some semblance of  personal freedom, and an aversion to being subject to  control  by electronic devices, being used by authoritative governments would be a good reason why not . Can you not see what's happening, governments are broke , they need more money , they are setting us up as cash cows at every opportunity, 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

And yet another source of revenue for governments will disappear, along with extortionate tax rates on petrol and diesel and of course the road tax due on the vehicles that use those fuels.   The money lost as a result of this will have to be found elsewhere, Anybody considering or currently owning a battery powered car would do well to bear this in mind.  It won't happen for a while, as there are not enough of them on the road yet, but once there is, they will be coming for you,  no more cheap road tax or other incentives, and a special tariff for charging up your batteries, probably around 5x the price of normal domestic electricity, or whatever they think they can get away with charging ,  just like they have done before.  The roads still need to be built and maintained    and it all costs money

Another commodity taxed to the hilt , Tobacco, is also being phased out ,  same story , large  loss of revenue, and increased costs, people living a bit longer puts stain on the pension system, and renders them liable to contract a whole host of other age related  diseases like dementia and Alzheimer's .  All needs to be paid for

Once they eventually get round to banning alcohol and AI has put us all out of work  where is the money going to come from for anything ?

Digital currency 

Governments will control every dime you earn or spend and eventually block your account when you are not pleasing them 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

I have enjoyed Thailand for many years flying with my motorbikes, just because it have been zero legal consequences. 

The "bleck box" is not only for speed control.

They are recording everything in the car.

Brakes, condition of car and driving, maybe recording sound, etc.

If your lights are broken (like most motorcycles in Thailand), the black box will record itt.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hummin said:

Enjoy! If the streets are good enough and you have the skills, then I am sure it can be fun.

I am 99% of the time in Bangkok and the few times when I was out of the city I had some surprises about a suddenly bad street. So, I won't push it.

I am sure part of it is also that I am getting older, and it seems the urge to ride or drive fast is not so strong anymore. 😉 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

Enjoy! If the streets are good enough and you have the skills, then I am sure it can be fun.

I am 99% of the time in Bangkok and the few times when I was out of the city I had some surprises about a suddenly bad street. So, I won't push it.

I am sure part of it is also that I am getting older, and it seems the urge to ride or drive fast is not so strong anymore. 😉 

I have parked my big bikes for now, since we leaving Thailand. 

It was hard to adopt back to "normal" driving back home. 

• Haha 1