Restaurants and Inflation

Has anyone else noticed a decline in the quality/amount of food in restaurants lately?

Example:  Cheeseburgers that seem to have less and less meat. Sandwiches that have less and less meat and other ingredients, and so on.   Of course, the price stays the same. Who do they think they’re fooling?

In any event, if the prices need to be raised, that’s what should happen.  Raise the price.  If the ingredients cost 20% more, raise the price of the item 20%.  How hard is that? For Western food especially, people who are ordering that stuff would probably prefer paying more in order to get the dish they’re used to getting rather than some less than adequate version. For me, when  a restaurant skimps on ingredients, it just means that’s one restaurant I’ll never order from again.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/11/2024 at 2:53 PM, jas007 said:

Has anyone else noticed a decline in the quality/amount of food in restaurants lately?

Example:  Cheeseburgers that seem to have less and less meat. Sandwiches that have less and less meat and other ingredients, and so on.   Of course, the price stays the same. Who do they think they’re fooling?

In any event, if the prices need to be raised, that’s what should happen.  Raise the price.  If the ingredients cost 20% more, raise the price of the item 20%.  How hard is that? For Western food especially, people who are ordering that stuff would probably prefer paying more in order to get the dish they’re used to getting rather than some less than adequate version. For me, when  a restaurant skimps on ingredients, it just means that’s one restaurant I’ll never order from again.  

450 to 690 Baht for one of my favorite meals at a restaurant in BKK ... quality not compromised but the price is up over 50% since COVID. ☹️

Was in another restaurant I frequent in the provinces over the weekend - price unchanged but the quality seemed to have slipped.  Shrinkflation on cheap snacks is noticeable everywhere.

Mix of less quality/quantity and increased price is my observation.  Companies and different venues seem to take all approaches to the problem.

Doing more home cooking these days and visiting new venues - not everyone can absorb the price increases :jap:

Edited by expat_4_life
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Posters in this thread must be confused.

Thai government claims that inflation is less than 1%, and the US claims 2.7%, so price increases should be barely noticeable, even if it was all imported produce

Same in the grocery stores and others that sell bagged (chips), canned sodas, less in bags the same size, canned sodas 10 0z insted of 12 oz etc.  John  q. public of course NEVER notices...wrong on that.  We knew that the bags were mostly air in the first place.  In the US all consumers are complaining that while he govt says inflation has been tamed somewhat, the stores have kept all the jacked up prices.  Maybe after November things will get better.  No way, see doom all the way.

9 minutes ago, expat_4_life said:

I never mentioned "cheese burger" .... check your "post editing" skills. :shock1:

Oh, and maybe wash those @GreasyFingers:giggle:

Sorry about that. I was replying to the OP and have no idea how you were quoted. And only half way through my first beer.

• Thanks 1

In any event, if the prices need to be raised, that’s what should happen.  Raise the price.  If the ingredients cost 20% more, raise the price of the item 20%.  How hard is that?

"Your" logic makes sense. But that is not reality.

Some people are stretched to pay amount X now. And they would be hard pressed to pay X + 20%, especially regularly.

Raising the prices will almost certainly result in fewer customers buying fewer things. Overall, less income and less money to pay rent, staff, etc.

I know from good quality restaurants that they pay more for the ingredients now. But they don't raise their prices because they know above.

Is it fair? Not really. But that's reality.

And often prices are made to suite the market. I.e. if most vendors offer their dish for 50B, then better do the same so that people buy from you. Even if your ingrediencies are more expensive than those from the others.

I go regularly to a small coffee shop, which is not from a recognizable brand name. The espresso is great, and it's expensive. And I buy it because I like it and I can afford it. Now the shop has fewer customers than before. There might be various reasons, but I am sure the price is an issue for many people. That's life. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, GreasyFingers said:

Sorry about that. I was replying to the OP and have no idea how you were quoted. And only half way through my first beer.

What’s wrong with “cheeseburger “? That seems to be the typical spelling, at least in the U.S.

On 7/11/2024 at 8:53 AM, jas007 said:

Of course what you suggest is quite ridiculous. Fruit and vegetable prices are seasonal and customers, other than yourself it seems, do not react positively to price rises.

If the price of bell peppers is 100 baht per kg and 140 the next, but you don't know that, will you be happy being charged 10 baht more for exactly the same meal that you had on your previous visit the week before? Do you think the vendor has the time or inclination to explain to every customer that the price of bell peppers has increased? Just a simple example. 

If a worker allocates 50 baht for his lunch everyday and suddenly without warning, the price is 60 baht due to a fluctuation in the price of ingredients that very day, how do you think that would go down?

People prefer stability, if that means slightly reduced portions from time to time, that's the accepted way. Everyone's portions might be a little bit smaller when the cost of ingredients goes up.....with the exception of food sold by weight. Otherwise they will be eating into their margins.

8 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Of course what you suggest is quite ridiculous. Fruit and vegetable prices are seasonal and customers, other than yourself it seems, do not react positively to price rises.

If the price of bell peppers is 100 baht per kg and 140 the next, but you don't know that, will you be happy being charged 10 baht more for exactly the same meal that you had on your previous visit the week before? Do you think the vendor has the time or inclination to explain to every customer that the price of bell peppers has increased? Just a simple example. 

If a worker allocates 50 baht for his lunch everyday and suddenly without warning, the price is 60 baht due to a fluctuation in the price of ingredients that very day, how do you think that would go down?

People prefer stability, if that means slightly reduced portions from time to time, that's the accepted way. Everyone's portions might be a little bit smaller when the cost of ingredients goes up.....with the exception of food sold by weight. Otherwise they will be eating into their margins.

Yes,  but generally, if prices for ingredients are trending upward, at some point, restaurants would be smart to adjust prices.  I wasn’t implying that there should be a price adjustment every time the cost of some ingredient changes.  

Anyway, I guess the market will sort itself out over time.  Restaurants not providing value to their customers will go broke. I, for one, already have a list of places I’ll never frequent again.  

• Agree 1

I'm not very bothered by smaller portions as I'm into tasting different dishes.

I've always thought people are fooled by how "cheap" food is in Thailand compared to west.

Like a pad krapow rice, a great dish, but compared to a typical portion of a western dish you'd need to buy three or four.

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I've always thought people are fooled by how "cheap" food is in Thailand compared to west.

Like a pad krapow rice, a great dish, but compared to a typical portion of a western dish you'd need to buy three or four.

I hope you do not have a problem with your weight. One Thai dish is always enough for me.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, jas007 said:

Yes,  but generally, if prices for ingredients are trending upward, at some point, restaurants would be smart to adjust prices.  I wasn’t implying that there should be a price adjustment every time the cost of some ingredient changes.  

Anyway, I guess the market will sort itself out over time.  Restaurants not providing value to their customers will go broke. I, for one, already have a list of places I’ll never frequent again.  

Trending upwards? What are you talking about? Give me an example of such a product in Thailand. The fact is, that unless you are going to the markets every day, you will have no idea of price fluctuations. Straw mushroom prices, for example, can vary almost from visit to visit. Will you be happy if the vendor gives you a different kind of cheaper mushroom that day?

Sound like a 'middle class problem'. Run such a business yourself and you will understand. Try to be more understanding.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, GreasyFingers said:

I hope you do not have a problem with your weight. One Thai dish is always enough for me.

Asian food is meant to be shared with multiple dishes.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Don't be silly. Three or four...😊 

• Confused 1

Reportedly the restaurant price inflation in the U.S. especially for deliver has reached obscene levels.

Thailand is now a huge bargain compared to there. So happy to live in Thailand.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Don't be silly. Three or four...😊 

It's all rice. Weigh the amount of meat in a pad krapow rice. It's almost nothing. Easily three or four, in some cases five of six if you're looking at the protein. 

Edited by Jingthing

Just now, Jingthing said:

It's all rice. Weigh the amount of chicken in a pad krapow rice. It's almost nothing. 

Fried rice with prawns in my local has five big prawn; 70 baht. Find a better vendor.

3 minutes ago, NowNow said:

Stop it...

You getting hungry?

Just did a Chinese take out meal three dishes plus rice for 12 dollars have leftovers of course would cost 70 dollars easy delivered in the U.S.

Do not complain about Thailand. Not enough? Order more flippin' food. 

Just now, Jingthing said:

You getting hungry?

Just did a Chinese take out meal three dishes plus rice for 12 dollars have leftovers of course would cost 70 dollars easy delivered in the U.S.

Do not complain about Thailand. Not enough? Order more flippin' food. 

Where have I complained? That's you complaining about small portions. Are you for real? 😊

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's all rice. Weigh the amount of meat in a pad krapow rice. It's almost nothing. Easily three or four, in some cases five of six if you're looking at the protein. 

But your whole premise is quite silly. You are discussing One Plate meals. If you want a normal sized meal, you order the rice separately. A Pad Kraprow with prawns at my local comes with ten big prawns and costs 120 baht. Why would you consider buy three or four plates of rice? 

5 minutes ago, NowNow said:

But your whole premise is quite silly. You are discussing One Plate meals. If you want a normal sized meal, you order the rice separately. A Pad Kraprow with prawns at my local comes with ten big prawns and costs 120 baht. Why would you consider buy three or four plates of rice? 

I'm aware of Thai food customs. 

• Confused 1