Shocking surge: Thai electricity tariffs set to spark debate

On 7/13/2024 at 6:44 AM, hotchilli said:

Electricity prices will always creep up but never come down.

Everything does in our piss poor, rigged monetary system, which is all figured on inflationary debt. As is the issue here, the key is for utilities to not overtake inflation / wage rises. People will continue to get poorer and poorer (can't remember correct term per capita) until we lose around half the world's population and slay all the politicians and the bespectacled. Oh wait! :smile:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Assuming that's kWh/units on your bill, which is a 5k-7.5k baht bill.

Our system is 8kWh, means the hybrid inverter will accept about 8kWh from the panel, and put out about 8kWh to the house/load.  Any more, and it will shut down.

Our system is just enough, on crappy, overcast, rainy days, to supply enough for the house, and recharge the ESS/batteries, we use for overnight/non production hours (14 hrs).   That's about 6-8kWh overnight.

When not home, house uses about 4kWh, just keeping the 2 frigs running, and maybe 1 light.

On a good, very sunny day, and using everything w/EV plugged in, we can produce & use 50kWh, total, for house, top up batteries, and EV.  That's about our max production/use, and don't think we could squeeze too much more out of it.

On a crappy day, lucky to get 10kWh, total.  I don't 5kWh system would meet your full requirements, or even 8kWh.   10kWh (two 5kWh for redundancy) would work for you.   If you're home during the daytime, 5kWh would certainly supplement a good part of your bill.  

ESS add a good bit of the cost of any system.   If not home during the day, then benefits of solar wouldn't really be realized, unless using a lot overnight, which would require a lot of ESS/battery storage.

Panel sizes are about 2m² (2 X 1), and we have 18 X .540w = 9.7kWh produce.   About 40m² of roof need.   Split even, 9 panels facing S & W.  Any more, and would be waste, as inverter will only accept so much.   We don't have East facing, so lose a bit in the early sunrise.

image.png.2a2e217dd09b256ce902652240adafa2.png

Unlucky for me my roof is tilted like yours bur facing north. I'm at home almost all the time with 2 aircons blowing. 5 Kw would likely be too little BUT would save me about half my bill?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/13/2024 at 10:19 AM, Bandersnatch said:

Tier one solar panels are already at ฿6.5/Watt

Inverters are already as low as ฿4K per kW

5kW of Solar = ฿32,000

5kW Inverter = ฿20,000

Total cost for main components= ฿52,000

You will need various comments like brackets and rails to fit the panels, Cables and breakers etc. Then you will need someone to fit the system. The prices for all of these will vary.

Most people just get a quote for supply and fit which will be more expensive.

Solar will ramp up during the day here is a graph for one of my 5kW inverters

SolarProduction2.jpeg.fb0d46a120ccad6c41b9533928337114.jpeg

I see complete sets 5 Kw for about 35.000 bath, must be crappy stuff?

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Thank you for that useful bit of information. From that information, to get a regular 5kw I would probably need a 7kw system, and for a regular 10kw 24/7, I would probably need a 12 to 14kw system.

No, it's complete nonsense, the poster you quoted was using a UK website calculating output using average UK sunshine hours.

3 minutes ago, bubblegum said:

Unlucky for me my roof is tilted like yours bur facing north. I'm at home almost all the time with 2 aircons blowing. 5 Kw would likely be too little BUT would save me about half my bill?

They don't need to be on the roof, for example we have our panels on top of the wall which divides our property

12 minutes ago, connda said:

I tried to talk my wife into letting me install solar.  She wasn't interested.  But I'm thinking that the increase in the electric bill might change her mind.  At a minimum I'd like to put all the A/Cs on solar as they are the main electric consumers.

my wife was also not interested in the beginning, so I started small, one small inverter and 2 panels.

After she saw what the benefits where (monetary wise) she came around and our system is slowly growing.

Someone said to me “slowly slowly catch a monkey” 😉

• Like 2