What's all this Dr.Jill nonsense?

BobBKK

9 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Hey, remember when on “The View”, Whoopi Goldberg thought Jill Biden should be appointed surgeon general? 

I would actually be for that. Look at the creature we have now. Utter embarrassment.

It thinks it's a woman. We have as top medical bureaucrat a person with mental illness. I'd say it's ironic, but just par for course in Biden admin

"Never underestimate the ability of Joe to <deleted> things up " - Obama

19transition-briefing-levine1-articleLarge.jpg

imrs.jpg

Edited by Max_Headroom
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

The Prefix Doctor for medical qualified  people without a PhD is a honoury title,  Doctor is righty reserved everywhere but the US, for those who have made an original academic contribution to their field and been awarded a Doctorate.  Indeed, UK Surgeon's are termed Mr/Ms/Mrs and drop the Doctor title on qualification as FRCS. . 

Wrong again - Consultant surgeons are called 'Mr' in the UK as they are awarded a diploma, not a doctorate. By the way, all medical doctors in the UK get two bachelor's degrees (MBBS) - not a doctorate. The title 'Doctor' is for those in the medical field - not some pompous woman who gained one at 55 from the people who employed her. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Hey, remember when on “The View”, Whoopi Goldberg thought Jill Biden should be appointed surgeon general? 

Exactly—and, to be honest, I thought she was a medical doctor for years. Why? Because the MSM is always talking about her opinion on whether he's fit for the job—Dr Biden is "looking after him."

She's not lying when she says she has a doctorate, but using it outside of her profession and socially (including in talk shows, etc.) is DISINGENUOUS. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Wrong again - Consultant surgeons are called 'Mr' in the UK as they are awarded a diploma, not a doctorate. By the way, all medical doctors in the UK get two bachelor's degrees (MBBS) - not a doctorate. The title 'Doctor' is for those in the medical field - not some pompous woman who gained one at 55 from the people who employed her. 

Thats what I said.  Read before typing my friend. Your last sentence is not correct. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Thats what I said.  Read before typing my friend. Your last sentence is not correct. 

She worked at Delaware Technical Community College, which has degree agreements with the University of Delaware. So, employed one-removed - but I'm sure it didn't hurt her chance of getting her Doctorate pushed through. That aside it is pompous. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

The US get it wrong, as they do about so many issues in academia.  They throw the title 'Doctor' at anything that moves, Vets, Chiropractors, Dentists, none of whom hold a true Doctorate. I ended up with mine after a 3 year BSc, one year  MSc and 5 years of original research for the PhD. You can possibly see why the US system irritates me and those like me. As an aside, lots of things in Delaware are very questionable. 

To be a vet or dentist in the US is four years post grad. 

10 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

To be a vet or dentist in the US is four years post grad. 

Only in the US system. Actually to the rest of the World, their qualification is a First Degree, maybe followed up with a specialization Masters. The core tenant of a doctorate, is that it is awarded for original research, that adds to the sum of knowledge in that field.  It is not awarded for time served learning. 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

Only in the US system. Actually to the rest of the World, their qualification is a First Degree, maybe followed up with a specialization Masters. The core tenant of a doctorate, is that it is awarded for original research, that adds to the sum of knowledge in that field.  It is not awarded for time served learning. 

Did you mean "core tenet" doctor?

• Haha 1

On 7/15/2024 at 12:24 PM, BobBKK said:

The only reason an Ed.D would use the title "Dr" is to make people believe they can deliver babies. For years, I believed Jill Biden was a medical doctor, as convention dictates only MDs call themselves Doctors. Only recently did I learn that she took a practice-based Ed.D, non-research degree, and insists everyone call her DOCTOR.

It is deceptive, arrogant and pathetic. 

Doctoral Degrees and the title of Dr for holders of Doctoral Degrees precedes the founding of the titles ascribed to ‘Medical Doctors’.

Now what was it you were saying about deceptive, arrogant and pathetic.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/university

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/16/2024 at 9:43 PM, Doctor Tom said:

The Prefix Doctor for medical qualified  people without a PhD is a honoury title,  Doctor is righty reserved everywhere but the US, for those who have made an original academic contribution to their field and been awarded a Doctorate.  Indeed, UK Surgeon's are termed Mr/Ms/Mrs and drop the Doctor title on qualification as FRCS. . 

Correct.

Wasn't the term Doctor used in education centuries before its medical links? After all, Doctor does come from a Latin word for "to teach".

If you're that against its use outside of the medical field, go ask universities to change their rules rather than attack someone who is using an earned title correcly.

Or just ask, what does it matter?

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Correct.

I already made that point - why not try reading instead of pontificating? Societal norm (big word for you, I know) is the TITLE doctor being used in the medical field, nothing about doctorates.

17 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Doctoral Degrees and the title of Dr for holders of Doctoral Degrees precedes the founding of the titles ascribed to ‘Medical Doctors’.

Now what was it you were saying about deceptive, arrogant and pathetic.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/university

Ignorant post - I never claimed medical doctors held doctorates.

16 hours ago, Woof999 said:

Wasn't the term Doctor used in education centuries before its medical links? After all, Doctor does come from a Latin word for "to teach".

If you're that against its use outside of the medical field, go ask universities to change their rules rather than attack someone who is using an earned title correcly.

Or just ask, what does it matter?

I have many qualifications, and neither my friends nor colleagues use these outside of our professions. Jill Biden obviously has low esteem and a fragile ego.

22 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

The US get it wrong, as they do about so many issues in academia.  They throw the title 'Doctor' at anything that moves, Vets, Chiropractors, Dentists, none of whom hold a true Doctorate. I ended up with mine after a 3 year BSc, one year  MSc and 5 years of original research for the PhD. You can possibly see why the US system irritates me and those like me. As an aside, lots of things in Delaware are very questionable. 

They do and have many very low-class universities where you can virtually buy a degree and a PhD.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

On a priority list of important issues on a scale of 1 to 100, what Jill is called would be rated 1 and that's being generous.

You are right, of course, but how we see ourselves and what we call ourselves reveals so much about us. My only point has been to use it within your professional culture, not outside of it.

Why does it slightly vex me? Only very recently did I find out she was NOT a medical professional, and like Whoopi, I assumed she was. She has been saying, "Joe is okay and healthy," any reasonable person would assume she was a medical professional from those statements. I have never said she did not deserve it nor that the universities should not award it, or that medical doctors had a doctorate. I stated CLEARLY MBBS is a double bachelor's degree in the UK.

• Agree 1

In my experience in the US the immediate thought when someone calls themselves "doctor" is that they are a medical doctor.

Jill Biden has been misleading by calling herself doctor.

As others have said I thought for a long time that she was a medical doctor.

Individuals who have clinical degrees, optometrists for example, and have their own business often are called "doctor" in shop; but they don't usually use the title outside of their practice.

Holders of PhDs sometimes call themselves doctor outside of the professional environment. IMHO they have earned it having suffered through the ordeal of a PhD program.

I think Jill Biden is a fraud for calling herself doctor.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

On a priority list of important issues on a scale of 1 to 100, what Jill is called would be rated 1 and that's being generous.

Yet here you are with 6 posts in this thread.

So I guess you have exhausted commenting in categories on the importance scale of 100 down to 2 right?

Edited by cdemundo
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BobBKK said:

I already made that point - why not try reading instead of pontificating? Societal norm (big word for you, I know) is the TITLE doctor being used in the medical field, nothing about doctorates.

What?

Was that particular post even responding to you?

Ignorant post - I never claimed medical doctors held doctorates.

Firstly I never said you made any such claim.

Secondly, how can a post that is factually correct to the history of the title under discussion be ‘ignorant’?

Apart that is from having up set you for some unknowable reason.

I have many qualifications, and neither my friends nor colleagues use these outside of our professions. Jill Biden obviously has low esteem and a fragile ego.

Sure, but the point that really intriques me is that you frequently write with what I'd likely call open admiration about Putin, how open and fair his democracy is, yet something as benign as an earned title being used by a female democrate triggers you massively.

"Low esteem and fragile ego" - is Dr. Jill Biden really the best candidate for that attack in your opinion?

Edited by Woof999

14 hours ago, Woof999 said:

Sure, but the point that really intriques me is that you frequently write with what I'd likely call open admiration about Putin, how open and fair his democracy is, yet something as benign as an earned title being used by a female democrate triggers you massively.

"Low esteem and fragile ego" - is Dr. Jill Biden really the best candidate for that attack in your opinion?

Putin? Admiration? Talk about deflection. Yes, I think anyone who deceives should be called out. Not just Bidens pompous wife.