What's all this Dr.Jill nonsense?

BobBKK

7 hours ago, BobBKK said:

We know that, but no one uses the term 'doctor'. It's pathetic—I have many friends who have a PhD, and not one insists that people boost their fragile egos by calling themselves 'doctors'. I have two Master's degrees. I don't list them after my name when I post here—Jilly would; she's a fraud.

As many have said. She is a Dr. just like Dr Pepper is a Doctor. There is nothing to get over. It's true. 

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, BobBKK said:

The only reason an Ed.D would use the title "Dr" is to make people believe they can deliver babies. For years, I believed Jill Biden was a medical doctor, as convention dictates only MDs call themselves Doctors. Only recently did I learn that she took a practice-based Ed.D, non-research degree, and insists everyone call her DOCTOR.

It is deceptive, arrogant and pathetic. 

The only reason an Ed.D would use the title "Dr" is to make people believe they can deliver babies.

LOL. I hope a Dr can do more than that. Anyone can deliver a baby, taxi drivers can do it, women have done it themselves. I can deliver a baby and have "Maternity" in my nursing title to prove it. Where expertise is required is in dealing with a problem.

It's the same as pilots. Anyone can probably fly a plane with a bit of practice, but commercial pilots earn the big bucks for knowing what to do when it all goes wrong.

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, BobBKK said:

The only reason an Ed.D would use the title "Dr" is to make people believe they can deliver babies. For years, I believed Jill Biden was a medical doctor, as convention dictates only MDs call themselves Doctors. Only recently did I learn that she took a practice-based Ed.D, non-research degree, and insists everyone call her DOCTOR.

It is deceptive, arrogant and pathetic. 

......and how does that effect me, I'm not American?

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The only reason an Ed.D would use the title "Dr" is to make people believe they can deliver babies.

LOL. I hope a Dr can do more than that. Anyone can deliver a baby, taxi drivers can do it, women have done it themselves. I can deliver a baby and have "Maternity" in my nursing title to prove it. Where expertise is required is in dealing with a problem.

It's the same as pilots. Anyone can probably fly a plane with a bit of practice, but commercial pilots earn the big bucks for knowing what to do when it all goes wrong.

I paraphrased a famous saying - not to be taken literally. As a general rule, using degrees within the workplace is perfectly acceptable— Dr. Jill is not. 

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, NativeBob said:

Back in before Biden won an election there was pretty heated discussion on Twitter exactly about Jill's egomania and fraudulent doctor-ness. What an amazing family! 

Unbelievable! 

"Meanwhile, in Sheraton, Doctor Jeep plays on and on and on"

I never said that - please be careful and don't change quotes.

Screenshot (214).png

Edited by BobBKK
Added screen shot

2 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I never said that - please be careful and don't change quotes.

You are wrong - I didn't quote anything from your posts except the title of her doctorate work. 

And again, I would not even think about changing quotes @BobBKK from whoever including you.

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

This is a cultural and personal preference thing.

In Latin America nobody would question calling her a doctor as they're very much into formal titles stuff like that.

In the U.S. some people with academic credentials such as Jill Biden encourage using Doctor and some don't.

I get why some people take it as pompous but why people think this is any kind of big deal doesn't compute to me.

Except if you hate the president. 

That doesn't seem to me a good reason to make a big deal about Jill Biden's title. 

The only people to defend it would be those who love Biden, no matter the absurdity of misrepresentation. If I called myself a "Doctor", people would assume it's a medical degree, and you know it.

4 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

You are wrong - I didn't quote anything from your posts except the title of her doctorate work. 

And again, I would not even think about changing quotes @BobBKK from whoever including you.

I accept it was an error. Purdey said that it was not me. I attached the screenshot. Anyway, it's no big deal. I'm just letting you know that you accidentally used a quote that was not mine. 

I work in an academic setting where more than half the people are PhD holders. None of them expect to be referred to as "doctor", nor do they refer to themselves as "doctor". It IS used when citing academic papers or doing research, but generally as "NAME, PhD in (specialty)", rather than simply "doctor". It is thought of as gauche to insist on the title.

If any title is used at all, it is "professor", but only when talking to students and referring to another faculty member. As in, "you should talk to Professor Jones about that..." But amongst peers? Never.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

I work in an academic setting where more than half the people are PhD holders. None of them expect to be referred to as "doctor", nor do they refer to themselves as "doctor". It IS used when citing academic papers or doing research, but generally as "NAME, PhD in (specialty)", rather than simply "doctor". It is thought of as gauche to insist on the title.

If any title is used at all, it is "professor", but only when talking to students and referring to another faculty member. As in, "you should talk to Professor Jones about that..." But amongst peers? Never.

Thank you - I was a senior hospital manager with master's degrees to match. I would never use those outside of my profession. Some here defend Dr.Jill for their political reasons when it is so obviously inappropriate use of her educational degree.

1 minute ago, NativeBob said:

@BobBKK I see now: Strange, very strange. Something is very weird - it should not happened. 

Easy solution - no more quote since now!

I think it's a quirk in the quote software I have nearly done it myself - no worries.   Thanks for being honest which is so unusual here 🙏

I tried to reckon something similar to Doctor-Educator. Nope. 

Nobody insisted to refer him/her professor or doctor around. 

I only call a doctor in hospital / clinic.

Son named "Hunter", dog named "Major", wife is a "doctor". 

Most versatile dog - a german sheppard - used to run freely over the White House's lawn biting people or Jen Psaki called it "slight nip". "Doctor Jil" couldn't even train/discipline german sheppard! That says a lot about her actual Dr. skills

Well, however, I miss Melania

Melania_English.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

She has an Ed.D from the University of Delaware gained in 2007 at age 55, a doctorate in education, not a Ph.D.

It was obtained via a 120 page dissertation with the title: “Student Retention at the Community College: Meeting Students’ Needs.”

Sounds like a quality piece of research. 

• Haha 2

When you think about it, it is like Biden saying his grandad was eaten by cannibals and all the other useless crap he talks about. The ultimate fake human, scratch him and there is plastic there and a label saying made in China. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A lot of us probably have some kind of doctorate degree, and most of us realize it just doesn’t matter.

As for Jill Biden?  Why does it matter?  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jas007 said:

Not for her personally, rather advice from imagemaker just like Melania was a fashion expert who entered USA on "Einstein Visa" not she actually was.

She also needs some credibility to her appearances and pretty dumb speeches IMHO

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, jas007 said:

A lot of us probably have some kind of doctorate degree, and most of us realize it just doesn’t matter.

I wish I did but does my bartending certificate from Harvard count?

On 7/15/2024 at 12:24 PM, BobBKK said:

as convention dictates only MDs call themselves Doctors.

The Prefix Doctor for medical qualified  people without a PhD is a honoury title,  Doctor is righty reserved everywhere but the US, for those who have made an original academic contribution to their field and been awarded a Doctorate.  Indeed, UK Surgeon's are termed Mr/Ms/Mrs and drop the Doctor title on qualification as FRCS. . 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

for those who have made an original academic contribution to their field and been awarded a Doctorate

sounds like a true and obvious statement. I tried to read her "article" and that was a disaster. or what they called "Markoff generated". Obviously some $$$ were involved. Doctorate thesis? Please!

• Agree 1