Historic Levels of Diversity in UK Parliament: A Deliberate Effort

Social Media

4 hours ago, Social Media said:

Out of 25 cabinet members, only one attended a private school and another a grammar school. This contrasts sharply with the previous cabinets under Mr. Sunak and Liz Truss, where private education was more common. Currently, 92% of the cabinet members received state education, indicating a shift towards greater inclusivity and representation of the general populace.

That’s not an increased in minority representation, it is the first time ever the Cabinet is comprised of a majority of state school educated members, reflecting the fact the majority of people in the UK are educated in state schools.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, jayboy said:

Should it include the national percentage of stupid or fat people?

It probably exceeds the national average for that criteria, especially since July 4th. 

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

As explained Parliament gets the MP’s that the electorate elect.

You struggle to understand why it might be a good idea for the people making laws that impact the lives of everyone on the nation are from a broad spectrum of backgrounds reflecting the make up of the general population?

I don’t think I can help you with that.

If they are the most talented and effective, I have no problem with that at all.But I don't think diversity in itself is as important as many claim.

We don't rate diversity as top priority when we consider an airline pilot or a surgeon.Why should it be different with politicians? If you can't grasp the point, I don't think I can help you with that.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jayboy said:

If they are the most talented and effective, I have no problem with that at all.But I don't think diversity in itself is as important as many claim.

We don't rate diversity as top priority when we consider an airline pilot or a surgeon.Why should it be different with politicians? If you can't grasp the point, I don't think I can help you with that.

What life experience perspectives do airline pilots and surgeons bring to their decision making?

Not having the Government dominated by public schoolboy chums is obviously a good idea when the decisions being made are impacting people across the whole spectrum of society.

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Not having the Government dominated by public schoolboy chums is obviously a good idea when the decisions being made are impacting people across the whole spectrum of society.

Silly comment.Tell it to Attlee and Churchill, not to mention Tony Benn.

18 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

What life experience perspectives do airline pilots and surgeons bring to their decision making?

I'd rather listen to their opinion to that of Diane Abbot as an example.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Silly comment.Tell it to Attlee and Churchill, not to mention Tony Benn.

Oh so you missed the bit about the current Government and current parliament being the most diverse ever.

It kind of implies more so than past Governments and past parliaments.

• Like 1

Got a ways to go yet. Only Homo sapiens represented. Where are the other primates. PLM !! Primates Lives Matter.

This is the future :  Hmmm too far maybe. Still not diverse.

dsc_02152.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

Using diversity and proportional representation as ideals ..........

For every rich MP, we should have 99 poor MPs.

...... but they're all rich, and only really represent the rich ............

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So you have a whole go to list.

Well done.

Yep, none of which can give better advice than a well educated airline pilot or surgeon you seem to look down your nose at.

1 minute ago, sungod said:

Yep, none of which can give better advice than a well educated airline pilot or surgeon you seem to look down your nose at.

I look forward to you providing evidence of me looking down my nose at pilots or surgeons.

A quote of me doing so would suffice.

• Like 1

Do we need.to be reminded of this wokery in Thailand. 4 million voters are represented by 5 MPs, whereas 3.5 million represented by almost 100...we all know what diverse means, it's anti white, anti male, antí gender....everyone seems.to be voted in on their colour, religion or gender, not because they are the best  person for the job but simply for one of the reasons mentioned. We have seen how "good" they are at their jobs, with humza the terrorist sympathiser, sunak another non white and.now it's Wales turn for their non white.member.to get the boot. Stick to pale, stale ole whity...The country would be a far better place

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Oh so you missed the bit about the current Government and current parliament being the most diverse ever.

It kind of implies more so than past Governments and past parliaments.

I see I need to spell it out for you.

You were referring with approval to the fact the vast majority of MPs are state educated because this reflects the experience of most Brits. My position is not to disagree but to emphasize the greater importance of attracting high quality people.If they come from independent schools - rated internationally as excellent - it matters not a jot.It's not a party political issue since there are mediocre state educated products on all sides.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So you have a problem with people who went to public schools now?

Does that apply to all public schoolboys? Or just white ones? Are public schoolgirls also on the list of those that generate outrage and jealousy in you? Or just the boys? 

I worked with a few public schoolboys and I can assure you they were well aware of all facets of society. Smart people. Down to earth. Far more common sense than the likes of Rayner or Nandy. They aren't all like the stereotype you seem to have built them up to be in your mind.

Green eyed monster in play here. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Social Media said:

image.png.6c88332e8544adf7cc8b9a3435e35ead.png

The United Kingdom's House of Commons has seen an influx of new MPs, marking not just a record number of first-timers but also a significant increase in diversity. This newly constituted parliament is a more accurate reflection of the nation's demographic makeup, with a notable rise in MPs from ethnically diverse backgrounds and an increased number of women. Over half of this new parliament comprises first-time MPs, making the House of Commons more representative of the people it serves.

image.png.764090f1c01d2b1d0e1147b3dfcdc88b.png

image.png.ee89c5dc6719c162f978d6d45264f01e.png

image.png.2e6acb3c0c375953ae5af90d7f5bae4b.png

Dr. Sofía Collignon, a senior lecturer in comparative politics at Queen Mary University of London, highlighted the dual impact of this change. On the positive side, the influx of new faces brings fresh perspectives and positions on critical issues. However, it also means that a significant number of MPs will need to undergo training to familiarize themselves with parliamentary procedures and the often complex, unspoken norms of working in parliament. These norms, she pointed out, are learned through experience and daily interactions within the parliamentary environment.

image.png.d22d15bd29392427fd8ed9428499c6b1.png

The rise in diversity is not an overnight phenomenon but the result of sustained efforts over many years to encourage and promote individuals from minority backgrounds to become parliamentarians. Dr. Collignon noted the pivotal role of the Labour Party in recruiting women and diverse candidates, reflecting the long-term strategies implemented to enhance representation.

image.png.a9a3fbee5dc3f84feb0c1be95610252c.png

In his inaugural speech as prime minister, Sir Keir Starmer celebrated the "most diverse parliament by race and gender." Women now constitute more than two-fifths of the House of Commons, a significant increase from the 0.7% female representation seen a century ago and ten percentage points higher than in the 2015 election. While this still falls short of the female proportion in the British population, it marks substantial progress.

image.png.90800adbd448ea08e4c3569b43a8d516.png

Ethnic diversity has also seen a notable increase. With 90 MPs from ethnically diverse backgrounds, making up 14% of the Commons, the representation is closer to Britain's 17% ethnically diverse population. This figure is a dramatic improvement from the four MPs elected in 1987, a group that included Dianne Abbott, the first black female MP. Furthermore, this parliament is one of the most diverse in terms of sexuality and gender identity, with 64 MPs openly identifying as LGBTQ+. This figure, although slightly lower than the peak of 68 MPs before the recent election, remains the highest at the start of any parliamentary term.

image.png.44ca5f64c52f175ad6801cf0a934d2a6.png

Educational backgrounds of MPs are also evolving. The number of MPs with private education has decreased, with Sir Keir's new cabinet reflecting this trend. Out of 25 cabinet members, only one attended a private school and another a grammar school. This contrasts sharply with the previous cabinets under Mr. Sunak and Liz Truss, where private education was more common. Currently, 92% of the cabinet members received state education, indicating a shift towards greater inclusivity and representation of the general populace.

image.png.0c5455c16922f0543455bd8d0db86ec9.png

Sir Keir Starmer emphasized the importance of having a parliament that mirrors the society it represents, fostering greater trust in democratic institutions. However, he acknowledged that trust is not unconditional and that having a diverse parliament does not automatically guarantee policies that better serve the public's interests. For instance, despite increased female representation in the Conservative Party during David Cameron's tenure, support from female voters has declined over the past decade, with women now more likely to vote Labour.

image.png.c8ccf73426a2d33ff4f63fbba5c89d34.png

It is also evident that an MP's background does not necessarily dictate their political stance. Recent years have seen South Asian individuals in prominent government positions, such as home secretaries and even a prime minister, who have supported stringent anti-immigration policies. This underscores the complexity of identity and politics, suggesting that diversity in representation does not always equate to predictable policy outcomes.

image.png.c0d832cf7e3cdaf10e3d70ae38a1dad4.png

The decrease in the proportion of privately educated Conservative MPs, now at 46%, marks a notable shift from previous decades. However, the overall proportion of privately educated MPs across all parties remains significantly higher than the current UK school population, with 23% of MPs having attended private schools compared to just 7% of today's students.

Dr. Collignon noted that the average age of MPs is decreasing, with the Labour Party contributing significantly to this trend by winning the majority of seats. This younger parliament, combined with its diversity, holds the potential for more inclusive and representative policymaking. Dr. Collignon emphasized the importance of hearing from people with varied backgrounds and experiences to achieve better substantive representation of key issues.

The composition of the new House of Commons signifies a step forward in making the UK's legislative body more reflective of its society. With more women, LGBTQ+ individuals, and ethnic minorities now sitting in the Commons, along with a higher proportion of state-educated MPs, this parliament promises to bring a broader range of perspectives to the table. As Sir Keir Starmer pointed out, a diverse parliament fosters trust in democratic institutions, though it remains to be seen how this diversity will translate into policy outcomes that benefit the broader public.

Credit: Sky News 2024-07-17

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

I wonder if they have a 3rd toilet for the 3rd gender

I do think that intelligence and life experience helps a lot when voted in to represent others. Voters aren't expecting someone who doesn't know more than themselves. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Purdey said:

I do think that intelligence and life experience helps a lot when voted in to represent others. Voters aren't expecting someone who doesn't know more than themselves. 

They are not voted in to represent others, An MP has a very short and concise job description, it consists of only 3 words   "maintain your seat"  that is it, there is no obligation for them to help or represent  anybody living in their constituency at all. In fact the only reason they ever  agree  to do anything  is when they feel their actions will help towards the prime objective of maintaining their seat.

As long as they keep their seat they are fulfilling their sole  purpose to their party, they are pretty much untouchable and little short of a prison sentence would see them sacked. 

There are no qualifications required for the job at all and few restrictions on who can put themselves forward, The only quality they must possess if they intend to win their seat is the ability to ingratiate themselves with their chosen electorate by any means , False Promises, Fake Denials and Downright lies are all acceptable methods and totally justified by any success 

They don't need to be educated, or to have any experience , or any special skills,  They don't need to be diverse either, You can  only be speaking for yourself if you think people expect their MP's to be more intelligent than  themselves or  rest of society. The last one we had was a complete retard,  kept her seat for years though 

They certainly should not be selected to stand for election  on the basis of their sexuality or ethnicity it should be forbidden to mention such things, the only thing they should be permitted to  promote is their parties manifesto, then once the election is over they could all pretty much be sacked 

14 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

I wonder if they have a 3rd toilet for the 3rd gender

Of course they do, they are special and more important then others now days. 

A toilet fit for a queen.

hhhhhhhhhhhhh.PNG