Elon Musk to Move Tech Headquarters to Texas Following California's New Transgender Measure

Social Media

image.png.ad357b4a181d3de34683984b4c563c6d.png

In response to a new law signed by California Governor Gavin Newsom, Elon Musk announced he is relocating the headquarters of two of his tech companies, SpaceX and X (formerly Twitter), from California to Texas. The move comes after Newsom signed a groundbreaking measure that prohibits public schools from notifying parents when their children identify as transgender, making California the first U.S.

state to enact such a law. The legislation aims to protect transgender students and teachers who support them from potential retaliation.

Musk announced his decision on Tuesday, stating that the headquarters of SpaceX will move from Hawthorne, California, to Starbase, Texas, while the headquarters of X will relocate from San Francisco to Austin, Texas. In his post on X, Musk cited the new law and previous legislation as factors that have made California inhospitable for families and businesses, prompting his decision to move.

"Because of this law and the many others that preceded it, attacking both families and companies, SpaceX will now move its HQ from Hawthorne, Calif., to Starbase, Texas," Musk wrote on X. He mentioned that he had warned Newsom a year ago that such laws would drive families and businesses out of California.

Musk also highlighted safety concerns in San Francisco as another reason for relocating X's headquarters. He pointed out that getting in and out of the building in San Francisco often involves "dodging gangs of violent drug addicts," a situation he hopes to avoid in Austin. Additionally, Musk has changed his state of residence from California to Texas, partly motivated by Texas' lack of personal income tax compared to California's high state income tax rates.

Musk's announcement also touches on his personal life, specifically his relationship with his estranged son, Xavier Alexander Musk, who transitioned to female and legally changed her name to Vivian Jenna Wilson in 2022. Musk has attributed his daughter's transition to "neo-Marxists" and described her as a "fervent Marxist" who refuses to have any contact with him. He revealed that he only learned about her transgender identity through someone else and has unsuccessfully attempted to reach out to her.

Despite the move of SpaceX and X to Texas, Musk previously relocated the headquarters of electric vehicle manufacturer Tesla from Austin to Palo Alto, California, in 2021. He has not indicated any plans to move Tesla's headquarters back to Texas at this time.

This significant move by Musk reflects his ongoing discontent with California's political and social environment, which he believes is becoming increasingly hostile to both individuals and businesses. His decision underscores the broader debate over state policies and their impact on business operations and personal choices.

Credit: UPI 2024-07-18

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

17 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

The exodus from California continues. 

I'm sure there will be plenty of illegals streaming across the border to replace him though. 

But can they replace the jobs?

I watched the little bit that I could (with X blocked here), and it seems that the trans laws were just the last straw that pushed him over the fence.  He also focused on runaway crime and employee safety (mentioned in the OP).  But losing contact with his kid, who transitioned without his knowledge, had to sting.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  I'm not clear on the details, but California has some bizarre rules about collecting state income taxes even after people have left the state.  Maybe there's similar rules about taxes from businesses that flee, but someone more familiar will have to weigh in.  I left Cali in the mid '90s.

On another level, if he wanted to ding Newsom's chances in a presidential run, this move would do it...  But that's the cynical me speaking.

Edited by impulse

13 minutes ago, impulse said:

But can they replace the jobs?

No, I'm sure it will be easy to get an illegal to mow your lawn but the people that are leaving tend to be skilled individuals and they are being replaced by unskilled individuals, many of whom are illegals paying no tax. I guess the legal residents will be taxed more to make up for the shortfall.

I watched the little bit that I could (with X blocked here), and it seems that the trans laws were just the last straw that pushed him over the fence.  He also focused on runaway crime and employee safety (mentioned in the OP).  But losing contact with his kid, who transitioned without his knowledge, had to sting.

Yeah it's a crazy law. Leftists want the state to have control over other people's kids. 

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  I'm not clear on the details, but California has some bizarre rules about collecting state income taxes even after people have left the state.  Maybe there's similar rules about taxes from businesses that flee, but someone more familiar will have to weigh in.  I left Cali in the mid '90s.

I think he's been a tax resident of Texas for a couple of years already. 

I had a couple of friends who moved there primarily for the Motocross/enduro/off road scene about 10 years ago. They have left already, the green laws make legally riding incredibly difficult due to green laws, green stickers for bikes etc. and many of the tracks are being shut down due to noise, dust, emmissions etc. Not to mention the insane levels of taxation on just about everything. 

They sure know how to ruin a good thing. 

7 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I think he's been a tax resident of Texas for a couple of years already. 

That's a good point, but I doubt his employees are.  I don't know how much an issue it will be.  I do recall reading about California trying to punish companies that leave, by their tax laws.  But I'm sketchy on the details since my brain leaks when I sleep.  I'm hoping I egged on some California experts to weigh in.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, NORDO said:

Rome destroyed itself, now misfits like Newsom are destroying the USA of the Americas as well.   I am totally in awe when I attempt to rationalize that extreme liberal decisions are anything other than  voter attractions, rather than sound governing principals.

The operative theory among wingnuts on the right is that they're deliberately destroying the country to create conditions where the people beg for the gub'ment to come in, save them, and make all the decisions for them.  Forever.

In some places like California and Blue cities, we're almost there.  NYC and Chicago and Portland, we are there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Nah, he’s just trying to avoid paying taxes and trolling at the same time.

Yeah, Biden’s calling for everyone to “pay their fair share”, meanwhile, his family (one of which is a convicted felon) is being prosecuted for tax evasion. 

Why pay taxes to a state that hates you?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, impulse said:

That's a good point, but I doubt his employees are.  I don't know how much an issue it will be.  I do recall reading about California trying to punish companies that leave, by their tax laws.  But I'm sketchy on the details since my brain leaks when I sleep.  I'm hoping I egged on some California experts to weigh in.

He changed his personal residence, now he’s changing his corporate residence. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't have much time for Musk, but good on him for this. It's time people started to fight back against the BS.

The richest person in the world doesn’t want to risk getting sued by the woke California legal system !