How to ride a bicycle in Thailand?

minion12

I generally don't know how to ride a normal bicycle but since coming here, a lot of activities require that I know how to ride a bike but I can't seem to balance on it. Are there any tips for learning how to ride a bike? I am also interested in learning to ride a motorcycle but I think learning to ride a bike would be the first step.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

Practice, practice practice.

It may involve some falling off so wear a helmet, gloves and elbow protectors at first. Maybe try on grass or in a quiet park or space where you won't risk hitting passers by. Take it easy.  Maybe get someone to help steady you. Help hold you up at first.

I don't know if learning on a mountain bike type with fatter tyres would be any easier than a racing model with thinner ones. Others might know.

I would make sure that you are very proficient on riding a bicycle before transitioning to a motorbike. The roads are dangerous here.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, phetphet said:

Practice, practice practice.

It may involve some falling off so wear a helmet, gloves and elbow protectors at first. Maybe try on grass or in a quiet park or space where you won't risk hitting passers by. Take it easy.  Maybe get someone to help steady you. Help hold you up at first.

I don't know if learning on a mountain bike type with fatter tyres would be any easier than a racing model with thinner ones. Others might know.

I would make sure that you are very proficient on riding a bicycle before transitioning to a motorbike. The roads are dangerous here.

"The roads are dangerous here." They certainly are, and so are the majority of Thai drivers.

Get a helmet !!!

Riding here is contentious ....

Cars & motorcys are not shy about buzzing the tower....They drive in reverse directions so you need to be aware of danger coming from all directions - including friendly & unfriendly dogs.....I ride only side streets  (not the busy main roads) to run to the small stores, exercise, or run the dog....

I have tried going on a few busy roads but you're basically invisible to most of the Thai drivers....I live close to a canal road that's very popular with riders....But, about once a year somebody gets killed out there & it's never their fault....

I have a nice bike & bike rack, but, I'm just not enthusiastic about loading up and scouting for other places....

If you're balance impaired & cannot master it - don't try it....

Also, get a good quality bike lock.....

8 hours ago, minion12 said:

I generally don't know how to ride a normal bicycle but since coming here, a lot of activities require that I know how to ride a bike but I can't seem to balance on it. Are there any tips for learning how to ride a bike? I am also interested in learning to ride a motorcycle but I think learning to ride a bike would be the first step.

Buy a set of these:   Training Wheels for Adult Bikes - Search Images (bing.com)