60-day visa exemptions are now unlimited at land borders

So, please advise the freedom of this visa - for example, can a person on retirement (any type) stop keeping 800,000 or a married guy

(400,000) no longerr need to have that money in the bank and just go out of the country and walk back in on a 60-day every 2 months?  no more 90-day reports or tm.30's?  sounds weird to me.  I have been here a loooooooooong time

and just wondering.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

It was a "filter" for the cheap and otherwise undesirable who couldn't afford an airfare but could manage to scrape together a minivan fare.

Now it's a level playing field again, and the (fake) Louis Vuitton crowd can now save a bit of their hard-earned and rough it with the balloon-chasers.

Minivan + visa-cost to Laos or Cambodia - hardly a difference vs short-haul round-trip flight to Malaysia or Singapore, where most of us get visa-free entry.  

We used land-borders, including with our Tourist Visas, because the airports were taken-over by a clan which required pre-arrangement with an agent to enter the country unmolested.  Only "occasional" or "brief visit" folks could use the airports without worry. 

I used to fly direct to Penang, get my Tourist-Visa, then train back across the border into Thailand, then fly home out of Hat-Yai, domestic, to avoid flying into an airport-checkpoint. 

The "undesirables" you speak of were the illegal workers from neighboring countries, who flooded across those entry-points, and never had a limit put on them.

Edited by Rob Browder

This is great news. I was wondering what I was going to have to do now that my Non-Imm O has expired.

Just a question, my Non-Imm O has expired, but Im currently on the last entry with it (went and did a boarder run right before it ended) So got another 90 days.

Because its expired, am I alright just doing a boarder run and then coming back in and they will issue the tourist for 60 days? I dont have to go to immigration and get things cancelled right due to it already being expired? Cheers

20 minutes ago, wisemonkey said:

This is great news. I was wondering what I was going to have to do now that my Non-Imm O has expired.

Just a question, my Non-Imm O has expired, but Im currently on the last entry with it (went and did a boarder run right before it ended) So got another 90 days.

Because its expired, am I alright just doing a boarder run and then coming back in and they will issue the tourist for 60 days? I dont have to go to immigration and get things cancelled right due to it already being expired? Cheers

Yes, you can exit Thailand and then re-enter visa exempt. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Your ME Non O has expired.

You currently have a permit with "admitted until" date. 

When you exit prior to that date it's done.

Just bounce back into Thailand for visa exempt entry 60 days. 

Thats great! Thanks for info, only concern now is if they complain about the 2 prior land entries, but that looks to be being overlooked by IO for the time being. Appreciate it!

1 minute ago, wisemonkey said:

Thats great! Thanks for info, only concern now is if they complain about the 2 prior land entries, but that looks to be being overlooked by IO for the time being. Appreciate it!

Start of this thread Tod referred to guy obtaining 60 stamp visa exempt stamp and that guy had two prior visa exempt this calendar year.

Thinking you are right to go. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ive just gone to book a visa run based on information in this thread, but the company I went to book with in Chiang Mai, said that the Chiang Khong Border officers havent received the memo that they need to let people do unlimited runs and are still not allowing people who have already done two land border runs, so much so that the company is reluctant to take people who have already done two. Has anyone done two land border runs at the Chiang Khong into Laos? Since the passing of this new rule?

They suggested that my best bet is to go to Nong Khwai border to Vientane in Laos which is quite a distance further.

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, wisemonkey said:

Ive just gone to book a visa run based on information in this thread, but the company I went to book with in Chiang Mai, said that the Chiang Khong Border officers havent received the memo that they need to let people do unlimited runs and are still not allowing people who have already done two land border runs

Read @Rob Browder post above.

Seems you had a ME non O ? 

You have done zero visa exempt entries this calendar year.

What is your visa run company on about. 

BTW: Another option is mini holiday to eg CM_Saigon and reenter Thailand visa exempt via air (CNX) for 60 day stamp. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, wisemonkey said:

Thats right, my last two land border runs were done whilst I was travelling under my Non-O Multi-Entry. I think Ill just take the risk and be the guinea pig, I trust the experience on this forum, if I dont get through Ill let people know.

You're not listening to what people are telling you. There's no risk for you as the two land border crossing rule is only if you used visa exempt, which you didn't.

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Maestro said:

@Liquorice  Thank you very much for the text of the English translation of the Ministerial Regulation you sent me.

I have now converted it to a PDF file and uploaded it to my Google Drive, where it can be viewed and downloaded with this link: 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w9wFbmPC_ByBKrcoe7oQHWJ8RQyPKDDg/view?usp=sharing

This is the crucial sentence and as you have mentioned, it remains to be seen whether this rule will be officially amended or rescinded:

So what did the minister specify?

• Confused 1

On 7/22/2024 at 11:12 AM, DrJack54 said:

Do not do that. It will end in tears.

Continue with your annual extensions. 

You will not be able to live in Thailand on continuous visa exempt entries..

So now you are the expert? My extension is up this September. I've been doing them since 2007. Now I'm going to Cambodia and see what they will say. One can always go back to retirement visa extension during the 60 days.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, bubblegum said:

Now I'm going to Cambodia and see what they will say. One can always go back to retirement visa extension during the 60 days.

What does Cambodia have to do with anything.

With no limit on visa exempt land border entries means little for continuous living in Thailand.

Read the entire thread to try and understand what it's discussing. 

BTW you would not be "changing back to extensions" You would need to apply for new non O visa and subsequent 12 month extension 

• Agree 1

On 7/19/2024 at 1:32 AM, Bday Prang said:

Well as I said before, a link to the law is  one thing and will no doubt exist somewhere , but a link to  an official  announcement as to how the law might be applied , especially regarding repeated entries , along with any unofficial guidelines about  limits is unlikely to ever surface it will remain "up to them"

Yes, you're spot on. People keep referring to "The Law" when all that counts is how specific immigration offices, border posts and airport entry points apply the law. The law gives them wide-ranging power to apply policy as they see fit.

3 hours ago, wisemonkey said:

Thats right, my last two land border runs were done whilst I was travelling under my Non-O Multi-Entry. I think Ill just take the risk and be the guinea pig, I trust the experience on this forum, if I dont get through Ill let people know.

A word to the wise. If you're exiting from a Non-O visa, changing to visa-free 60-day entry stamps at a border post, you'll likely have an extra fee to pay someone. I've been quoted 2000 baht at 2 different visa-run companies. I'm heading to the border this week. I asked the agent who I need to pay, to which he replied "You'll know when you get there". The other agent wanted me to pre-pay this extra fee.

• Thanks 1

On 7/22/2024 at 9:26 AM, NanLaew said:

It was a "filter" for the cheap and otherwise undesirable who couldn't afford an airfare but could manage to scrape together a minivan fare.

Now it's a level playing field again, and the (fake) Louis Vuitton crowd can now save a bit of their hard-earned and rough it with the balloon-chasers.

I don't agree with it being a cheap alternative, but the best option. For example, a trip to the airport, checking in, waiting to board and flying out, then repeating that at the other end is a lot more messing around, more time-consuming, and of course more expensive than a quick half-day trip to the border. Just the return trip to the airport, at a good price, would cost me 3000 baht (taxi), and up to 2 hours each way (from Pattaya). Of course, comparisons will vary a lot depending on where the people live.

Edited by JensenX
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, bubblegum said:

So now you are the expert? My extension is up this September. I've been doing them since 2007. Now I'm going to Cambodia and see what they will say. One can always go back to retirement visa extension during the 60 days.

This is a good point. Previously you had to start your Non-O visa application as soon as you returned as they needed most of the 30 days for the application. Now you have a month to decide what you want to do. I'm not sure if the 60-day entry is long enough to season the 800k funds, so an agent would be a good option.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

What does Cambodia have to do with anything.

With no limit on visa exempt land border entries means little for continuous living in Thailand.

Read the entire thread to try and understand what it's discussing. 

BTW you would not be "changing back to extensions" You would need to apply for new non O visa and subsequent 12 month extension 

Well... Cambodia has a border with Thailand. so if I go to Cambodia and return to Thailand I will do it on a visa exemption. While I'm in Thailand I can change that to retirement . Understand me now? And do not say this cannot be done because I have done it multiple times!

Just now, bubblegum said:

Well... Cambodia has a border with Thailand. so if I go to Cambodia and return to Thailand I will do it on a visa exemption. While I'm in Thailand I can change that to retirement . Understand me now? And do not say this cannot be done because I have done it multiple times!

None of your posts make sense.

Yes you can border bounce to any land border and reenter visa exempt.

What does that achieve.

Your non O would be killed off and you could apply for non O based on retirement at local immigration office using TM87.

Subsequently you could apply for 12 months extension.

What is the point of your posts

7 minutes ago, JensenX said:

This is a good point. Previously you had to start your Non-O visa application as soon as you returned as they needed most of the 30 days for the application. Now you have a month to decide what you want to do. I'm not sure if the 60-day entry is long enough to season the 800k funds, so an agent would be a good option.

A non-imm O (Retirement) needs a minimum 15 days left on permission of stay to apply, so day 44/45 of your 60 day visa exempt will be fine (or day 74/75 if you get a 30 day extension) You then seed your 800k for first 2 months of your 90 Day non-imm O

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

A non-imm O (Retirement) needs a minimum 15 days left on permission of stay to apply, so day 44/45 of your 60 day visa exempt will be fine (or day 74/75 if you get a 30 day extension) You then seed your 800k for first 2 months of your 90 Day non-imm O

Cool! even better!

• Sad 1