Irish footballer fights for his life after bike crash in Thailand

13 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

Travel insurance will cover normal activities, cycling being one such, including long-distance touring.  Entering a cycling race/competition would normally be excluded.

*edit*

I shall explain.  I like to ride my bicycle.  I like to ride it where I like.  I like to take my bike to Singapore and ride to China, or to Cairns and ride the perimeter of the island.  I checked with various insurers before my travels to confirm I would be covered while cycling.  Yes for riding around town, yes for riding through the wilderness, no for entering a race.

Correct, I'm in my second month of cycling, now in Indonesia, there are no extra requirements or payments to travel with a bicycle wrt travel insurance. I have an Aussie travel insurance with unlimited medical and medevac.

• Thanks 1

On 7/19/2024 at 1:58 PM, theblether said:

Where does it say he's not insured? 

Is he in a coma? 

It wouldn't shock me that he has insurance and no one knows about it. 

The first thing you do when you purchase travel insurance is forward a copy to a friend or family member. 

If you are traveling with someone, make sure they know how to access your policy. 

Never assume that you will be conscious. 

And never assume that you will be fit to fly. 

Any of your reading this that do have insurance, and you haven't forwarded it, do it now. 

Any of you that live full time in a condo or similar, offer a copy of your insurance to your juristic person or receptionist. 

There's no point having insurance if no one knows about it in the event that you are rendered unfit to conduct your affairs. 

That's excellent information that I have certainly never thought about.

Luckily now, my wife would know, but before we were married, probably nobody.

It does indeed make the insurance useless.

• Agree 2

29 minutes ago, nakhonandy said:

That's excellent information that I have certainly never thought about.

Luckily now, my wife would know, but before we were married, probably nobody.

It does indeed make the insurance useless.

There is a duty of care in Thailand that anyone is taken to the nearest hospital, even if it’s private… for at least 72 hrs…

That’s the law at least & like most laws in Thailand, it’s a good one - the issue of course is lack of accountability & as we have seen in the media hospitals do turn people away if they think they cannot pay. 

Carrying a card in your wallet or on your person is a good idea - although not always guaranteed to be found. 

On 7/19/2024 at 12:47 AM, Korat Kiwi said:

With all those facial and cranial injuries,  I suspect he wasn't wearing a helmet let alone a quality one. 

Unfortunately if you come off, your head is always prone to serious damage when it contacts something. 

Be safe out there riders! 

After the only time I've ever fallen my helmet looked like this. That would have been my face instead.

image.jpeg.301e897191c7d7d5dcd3464731f55e2e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, wavodavo said:

Why do people go to Thailand and ride a pushbike ???????

Perhaps because they enjoy cycling?  You do know that there are many bicycle touring companies in Thailand right?  Obviously, a lot of people like to come to Thailand to engage in this activity.