Expats angry at huge concessions in latest Thai visa announcements

Thailand had a little mini shot of what would happen when you let lose immigration and long term visas on a developing nation with the Russians in Phuket.

You've seen illegal work shoot up, crime, anti social behaviour, and Russians colonising areas of Phuket. Worst of all for Thai people they've driven up rents. 

To then want to repeat that on a mass scale is a scandal. 

This is what i would expect from a leadership which lacks experience, and is working as though they are real estate agents (no surprise the leader is a property tycoon). 

• Agree 2

On 7/19/2024 at 11:16 PM, paahlman said:

This is a hit and miss.. Obtaining a driving license can be done on both a visa exemption stamp and on or a normal tourist visa as well. Also to open a bank account can be done also withouth any non o or dtv. There are many ways. work permit or purchase of condominium comes to mind. But yes.. With banks.. it helps to have a long stay visa.. Absolutely.. But its not always required.

Drivers licence on a visa exempt stamp or tourist visa...really?????

• Haha 1

On 7/20/2024 at 12:16 PM, paahlman said:

This is a hit and miss.. Obtaining a driving license can be done on both a visa exemption stamp and on or a normal tourist visa as well. Also to open a bank account can be done also withouth any non o or dtv. There are many ways. work permit or purchase of condominium comes to mind. But yes.. With banks.. it helps to have a long stay visa.. Absolutely.. But it's not always required.

Sure, with dodgy agencies.

They're even advertising on FB.

Everything in 1 hour...

By the rule, at first you need a residence certificate from the IO to obtain a DL (for example).

I doubt, if IO give that to you on a VE stamp. For what reason?

What for, a VE "tourist" needs a DL, bank account, or WP? To buy a property? Lol.

All of this is the intention of

Non-O and -B visas.

The circumvent only "works" in "bulk" processing, beneath connected pals from "certain" agencies. TiT.

Dodgy demands need dodgy processing.

Edited by Maitdjai

2 hours ago, Maitdjai said:

Sure, with dodgy agencies.

They're even advertising on FB.

Everything in 1 hour...

By the rule, at first you need a residence certificate from the IO to obtain a DL (for example).

I doubt, if IO give that to you on a VE stamp. For what reason?

What for, a VE "tourist" needs a DL, bank account, or WP? To buy a property? Lol.

All of this is the intention of

Non-O and -B visas.

The circumvent only "works" in "bulk" processing, beneath connected pals from "certain" agencies. TiT.

Dodgy demands need dodgy processing.

A VE tourist could make very good use of a bank account.

Formerly, many  tourists would open an account,  deposit some money and then use ATMs during their stay. 

Very convenient,  especially for repeat tourists coming every couple of years,  of which Thailand has many.

Nowadays, you need a bank account for paying by "scan", if you cannot do this,  sooner or later tourists will end up like in China,  where it's hard for them to pay anything, 

A DL is convenient to have (that's why residents have had it for years,  even when Thai police still let you use your international license forever),  but not really necessary. 

A  WP? Never heard of a VE tourist applying for one.

42 minutes ago, Lorry said:

A VE tourist could make very good use of a bank account.

Formerly, many  tourists would open an account,  deposit some money and then use ATMs during their stay. 

Very convenient,  especially for repeat tourists coming every couple of years,  of which Thailand has many.

Nowadays, you need a bank account for paying by "scan", if you cannot do this,  sooner or later tourists will end up like in China,  where it's hard for them to pay anything, 

A DL is convenient to have (that's why residents have had it for years,  even when Thai police still let you use your international license forever),  but not really necessary. 

A  WP? Never heard of a VE tourist applying for one.

I was anseering on a comment!

If you've read it also, you'd know, why I mentioned "WP".

On VE you don't need a local DL.

You need it from the 90th day of a continuous stay.

But you need a "valid" international DL on VE.

Unfortunately, the days to open a bank account, just with presenting your passport within 15 minutes are long gone.

Btw, electronic payment is possible with every halfway sophisticated foreign bank account. If not use cash!

Those people fiddling with their apps in 7/11, to pay 23 baht are annoying anyway.

Finally, "Residents"

are usually not on VE stamps. 

Some individual, temporary exceptions only confirm the rule.

And I don't think, that those are urgently needing to get a DL, or bank account during this "special" temporary time.

Even, if they don't have it yet.

Edited by Maitdjai

14 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Are you joking?

No. But I have to confess, that I don't have knowledge about "Timbuktu" bank accounts.

Anyway, "cash is king", especially for "stoneage" account holders.

21 hours ago, Lorry said:

It was designed for people who come here often,  many times a year. 

That's why all these funny airport perks.

It wasn't designed for people to  live here. 

And that's why it's just a kind of tourist visa.

20 or 30 years ago,  when it was designed,  there were not so many Westerners (except retirees) keen on saving a pound or two by living i  a third-world country.  Especially, as you couldn't work remotely and get a Western income.

And Russians or Chinese, now the best buyers, were unheard of.

It was assumed that those who could afford it wouldn't want to stay year 'round.

Edited by mokwit
  • Love It 1

On 7/23/2024 at 12:06 AM, MangoKorat said:

None of the border runners that I either know of have met are remote workers. 

Are you talking about folks just extending a short-term stay?  Those are probably the majority.  But, in all cases, their spending of foreign money here is good for Thailand.

On 7/20/2024 at 10:49 AM, jonclark said:

I think you have an erronous view of all  expats here. I have NEVER drank Chang beer. 

Take a walk along beach road in Pattaya m8 wall to wall Chang drinkers 🤮

Edited by Reddavy
Missed place

I don't get it. Seems like if you have the money, the elite visa is still a much better visa to be on.

If i had the money I'd probably go that route. You dont have hardly any of the

freaking hassles of having to re-new evry year and keeping  money in the bank, running to the border

I mean they really want tyou to question what the hell are you doing in their country

as many ask me when they fin dout the hoops I have to jump through to stay here.

That said I'm glad there's  now a back door if just staying here on extensions of non-O married

become problematic. I struggle financially to keep the 400k in and if they up that amount I'm schlitz out of luck.

Now its a real relief that I could just do the border hop thing and if they limit your time to 6 months in Thailand

per year of doing that only, oh well, India beckons I guess.

Edited by Gilligan In Drag
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Neeranam said:

As a Thai, I'd have to invest 17 million Baht for a long term retiree visa. 

For a Yank retiring here they need to just show 800,000 baht. 

Its MUCH easier for Yanks to come here. 

You don't like "Yanks"?

You prefer "Coconut Monkeys"?

You don't like "Krauts"?

You prefer "Pommies"?

You don't like "Spics"?

You prefer "Hamasholes"?

Etc., etc.! 

Where is all this "Respect", a word which many of you hypocrites always abusing, and mumbling about?

Just disgusting!

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Maitdjai said:

You don't like "Yanks"?

You prefer "Coconut Monkeys"?

You don't like "Krauts"?

You prefer "Pommies"?

You don't like "Spics"?

You prefer "Hamasholes"?

Etc., etc.! 

Where is all this "Respect", a word which many of you hypocrites always abusing, and mumbling about?

Just disgusting!

huh

2 hours ago, Gilligan In Drag said:

I don't get it. Seems like if you have the money, the elite visa is still a much better visa to be on.

If i had the money I'd probably go that route. You dont have hardly any of the

freaking hassles of having to re-new evry year and keeping  money in the bank, running to the border

I mean they really want tyou to question what the hell are you doing in their country

as many ask me when they fin dout the hoops I have to jump through to stay here.

That said I'm glad there's  now a back door if just staying here on extensions of non-O married

become problematic. I struggle financially to keep the 400k in and if they up that amount I'm schlitz out of luck.

Now its a real relief that I could just do the border hop thing and if they limit your time to 6 months in Thailand

per year of doing that only, oh well, India beckons I guess.

Paying 15k a year for an agent to get your visa seems as good as an elite visa. 

• Haha 2

On 7/20/2024 at 11:18 AM, G_Money said:

One always has the option of staying home or going elsewhere.

This is the empty, unreflected, nothing-saying reflex of stupid opportunists, within the TiT expat cloud. Lol.

Edited by Maitdjai

On 7/23/2024 at 2:46 PM, Sigmund said:

Elite visa - useless.

LTR visa , same.

Thailand need to understand that one of the main spender here are the house owners retirees who come over just for 3 to 5 months in winter. Nothing has been done to make the O Non Imm visa more simple and friendly. For instance give at least 4 months of stay instead of the current 90 days. A 50 yr old home owner will always spend big bucks, regardless of the duration of stay.

No. You're delusional. Just check what the GDP influence of expats in Thailand is.

"Home owners". Lol. So, the people who bought their Mia Farang a house and aren't even renting?

1 hour ago, Bjoern said:

How many times have I heard this: "If you don't like Thailand's visa regulation you are free to leave".

Don't try to find any other ways to stay long time online or in any Thai forum. "Just go home if you not like the immigration rules here". Not everybody can just leave Thailand, we (company) own a house, car, motorbike, girlfriend and dogs. Leaving or going elsewhere is not an option, and immigration officers are aware of this problem, that's why they every year make it more difficult for us to stay long time.

Sounds like a personal problem.  

Burned your bridges.  Sold up and put everything into your beloved Thailand.

Never invest more in Thailand than you are willing to walk away from.

And now you have to deal with what comes down.  

Up to you.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

On 7/23/2024 at 2:41 PM, Lorry said:

It was designed for people who come here often,  many times a year. 

That's why all these funny airport perks.

It wasn't designed for people to  live here. 

And that's why it's just a kind of tourist visa.

20 or 30 years ago,  when it was designed,  there were not so many Westerners (except retirees) keen on saving a pound or two by living i  a third-world country.  Especially, as you couldn't work remotely and get a Western income.

And Russians or Chinese, now the best buyers, were unheard of.

That’s not necessarily true. You can enjoy airport perks and access to VIP lounges when flying domestically to different provinces, along with discounts on many facilities, which counters your point. Furthermore, if you leave the country without obtaining a re-entry permit, you’ll void your elite visa, rendering it invalid, which is a crucial consideration. The elite visa is specifically designed for individuals under 50 who don’t qualify for a retirement visa but want to live in Thailand long-term without needing work permits or tourist visas. In fact, this visa offers benefits like extended stays of up to 5 years without the need for frequent renewals. I have friends who visit Thailand 4-7 times per year, and they don’t consider the elite visa, preferring other short-term visa options.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, racket said:

"if you leave the country without obtaining a re-entry permit, you’ll void your elite visa, rendering it invalid, which is a crucial consideration"

Wow, I thought at least the REP was included in the "bargain" package.

So even the "Elite" program is not carefree.

Containing hurdles and ripp-off traps hidden in the small print.

I wonder if and how many holders had the experience of a personal wake-up call.

Edited by Maitdjai