Foreigner friend - Broken leg - No insurance - 400k+ medical bills - What next?

Hi there,

I am writing in response to a friend of mine, he is foreigner working in Thailand, mid 30's (has been here over 10 years)

He was recently in a motorcycle accident where his leg was broken, he for some reason went to a private hospital where he received some treatment tallying upwards of 400k baht.

He has no health insurance and no funds to pay the bill Infront of him. I recommended that he move hospital, but I'm unsure if they will let him leave without paying his bill.

It's worth mentioning that the embassy is not of help and his family are also not in a position to pay the funds.

He says his knee is in critical condition and he needs to have surgery before it gets infected or he might loose his leg.

Is a hospital is going to let a patient paid or not get an infection and not treat it?

Regardless, what happens here? Do they keep him there until his bill is paid? Would they discharge him in his state?

What is the protocol here for situations where a foreign person is in a private hospital, unable to pay their bill?

As for answers regarding why he didn't have insurance, trust me I have been verbal on the matter. 

I'm interested to hear if anyone else has had a similar situation or know of someone who has had a similar situation.

Regards 

Edited by ronwel
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)

As its a private hospital, is it a private matter between him and the hospital only. Are there guidelines for what to do in a situation like this say in a government hospital.

I can only imagine that this happens fairly often, is it just case by case or is there a formality to what he has to do next?

Thank you for your comments.

I am fully aware that people will be unwilling to help and that's fine. I thought I would see what's possible.

Edited by ronwel
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Yeah prolly shoulda gone to the hospital he nominated for his SS cover.

Going to private with no insurance is 100% on him, tell him to ask hospital if they will agree to a payment plan.

If they wont do that, what assets does he have that could be sold to raise some coin.

Assets, not much, maybe the motorcycle that was involved in the accident. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, dddave said:

I once knew someone in a similar situation.  The hospital will hold him as long as they can providing minimal treatment and only providing the cheapest meds. 

Yep they will hold you.

I was in an induced coma last year at BPH when my private health insurance decided they would not cover.

Bill had to be paid before they would release me to another hospital.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ronwel said:

As its a private hospital, is it a private matter between him and the hospital only. Are there guidelines for what to do in a situation like this say in a government hospital.

I can only imagine that this happens fairly often, is it just case by case or is there a formality to what he has to do next?

Thank you for your comments.

I am fully aware that people will be unwilling to help and that's fine. I thought I would see what's possible.

If I were to give this fellow some advice>don't try to avoid paying.Prove to them you have legal employment and tell them you can create a payment plan. If they think you're going to do a runner then they'll keep your passport.I don't know how your going to get the operation though.No hospital will admit you without either a deposit or proof of insurance. If your employment is legit you should have gov.t insurance. Why did you even go to a private hospital ?...jesus.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

When I was a victim of a hit and run driver last October, the ambulance took me straight to my local government hospital.

6 broken ribs, broken collar bone, collapsed lung, many 'crush' injuries, total cost 13kbht over 4 months (including 1 month of physio), covered by my gov min m/c insurance.

Though a terrible situation, you were fortunate to have received such treatment.  My friend hit 2 years ago by a car was taken to a crummy hospital and the substandard treatment he received contributed to his death.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

14 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

No hospital will admit you without either a deposit or proof of insurance.

Regular admissions, absolutely, but i was admitted in an emergency at a Govt hospital without either. They did ask me how I would pay, and I told them the issue was not paying the bill per se, I was sure I could cover that, it was a matter of how much i could pay with the card I had on me - I mentioned 100k and told them if they accepted Amex I had a limit that would almost certainly cover the cost.

Edited by mokwit
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dddave said:

You could be lying injured in the street in front of a Govt Hosp. and these "Volunteer" ambulance vultures will take you 20 km to the highest bidder.

Insured foreigner collapsed at Landmark Hotel: ambulance brought him to Samitivej. Not Bumrungrad. Guess why.

BTW the opposite happens, too: rich, fully insured foreigner almost died at Soi 3 (hit by a car). Ambulance brought him to the Police Hospital because that's where they bring RTAs.  His insurance then had him transferred to Bumrungrad.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

When I was a victim of a hit and run driver last October, the ambulance took me straight to my local government hospital.

6 broken ribs, broken collar bone, collapsed lung, many 'crush' injuries, total cost 13kbht over 4 months (including 1 month of physio), covered by my gov min m/c insurance.

I wasn't given the option of a government hospital- delivered to a private hospital in Lamphun. I was in no position to argue about it.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Regular admissions, absolutely, but i was admitted in an emergency at a Govt hospital without either. They did ask me how I would pay, and I told them the issue was not paying the bill per se, I was sure I could cover that, it was a matter of how much i could pay with the card I had on me - I mentioned 100k and told them if they accepted Amex I had a limit that would almost certainly cover the cost.

When I was admitted to the A/E dept of my Regional Government Hospital the first thing they asked for was my passport. I assumed it was to create a medical record (rather than hold me to ransome) and I was proved correct. They handed it back to me very shortly afterwards.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

When I was admitted to the A/E dept of my Regional Government Hospital the first thing they asked for was my passport. I assumed it was to create a medical record (rather than hold me to ransome) and I was proved correct. They handed it back to me very shortly afterwards.

I had been asked for my passport previously - I had to register before they would see me and someone came to the ward prior to surgery and asked to see it. I had my passport, it was when I went to pay that they asked to hold it while I went to another room to see "Social Services".

Edited by mokwit
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Police report will allow him to claim 30kbht back from his government minimum m/c insurance.

He should have gone to a government hospital where his m/c insurance would have covered his entire bill.

Good Point.

Here in CM, there are good government hospitals, I think, which are also somehow affiliated with the university, and quite adequate.

It's only the long wait times that one must endure that make things a bit difficult.

• Like 2