The Notorious Nana Hotel Lobby

17 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

People use the pillows to prop the body during sex, especially if it's a larger foreigner and a small lady. For example, placed under the hips in a frog thrusting position (or a doggy style support for the lady)

Amazing technique. I'm sure 99% of the people here never tried that. Thank you for sharing (and in such vivid detail) your bespoke skills. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, RSD1 said:

Sadly the same can't be said for the lobby. 

There will come a day when the old Bangkok luxury-style of grey marble and dark brown wood will have a heyday. But probably not in our lifetime. 

Asia Hotel is the best kept-up example, The Ambassador isn't bad. Stayed there recently. Costs the same as The Nana -poor, not laughable breakfast

6 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Next to Nana. Why do people stay there? 

They don't stay there because it's the Taj Mahal. It has utility for some. It wouldn't be my choice, but I can understand the attraction. Anyway, I started the thread to discuss the scene and the vibe of the lobby, coffee shop, and disco 30-40 years ago. It was a site and, for those who were around back then, they will remember the unique atmosphere and experience.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, RSD1 said:

They don't stay there because it's the Taj Mahal. It has utility for some. It wouldn't be my choice, but I can understand the attraction. Anyway, I started the thread to discuss the scene and the vibe of the lobby, coffee shop, and disco 30-40 years ago. It was a site and, for those who were around back then, they will remember the unique atmosphere and experience.

Come on man. Its handy for the red light district. Nothing charming about it at all.

• Confused 3

5 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

There will come a day when the old Bangkok luxury-style of grey marble and dark brown wood will have a heyday. But probably not in our lifetime. 

Asia Hotel is the best kept-up example, The Ambassador isn't bad. Stayed there recently. Costs the same as The Nana -poor, not laughable breakfast

There are probably still 4-5 small, 2-3 star hotels like that around in that area. I guess renovating rooms can be done by closing off a floor at a time and not disturbing customers. But renovating a lobby is much more costly and challenging. The Landmark Hotel lobby has been under renovation for 2-3 years it seems. It must be having a profound impact on hotel business. 

4 minutes ago, proton said:

If people want the best of breakfasts in Bangkok the Peninsula Hotel s the place to go, prostitutes not welcome!

Thank you for sharing that eclectic knowledge. Very valuable information. Must be hundreds of thousands of people not knowing where to find good breakfast in Bangkok. 

• Agree 2

Circa 2,000, My sister adopted a Vietnamese orphan. I was skeptical, since it cost 25,000 then-dollars. Supposedly, it was a catholic charity. 

They put her up in The Nana Hotel. She was agog. Her new trafficked baby was quite a hit among the freelancers.

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, RSD1 said:

Is that a fact that they offer short time rooms? I was never aware of that. In the eighties and nineties the rates were something like 800 Baht for the whole night. It's now listed at about 1,300 Baht a night on Agoda. But back then the USD exchange rate was only 25 Baht to the dollar. Given the current price and the current exchange rate, the room cost is still about the same 30 years later.

95% sure that was where some recently-bar-fined lady took me! I mean took a bloke I know who told me about it. 🤭

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, marin said:

Why do you keep babbling on when you admitted at the start of the thread you have never been there? You lose all credibility when you just post to post. 

You know full well that sparktrader/bignok/uttaradit/dolf has always been like this. Why are you surprised?

• Love It 1

4 hours ago, Denim said:

Went to the disco there a few times in the old days. Even stayed there once. Used to frequent the Woodstock bar in the back corner of Nana Plaza for the food and the laid back vibe.

Ah, the Woodstock that was a good little place. I was corrected once for saying they moved to Ekamai, apparently it was Thonglor. Disaster anyway.

I have fond memories of the Nana Hotel tailor shop. Truly demented shirts with Nehru collars.

I would pay $100 to meet someone who says, "I only trust my luxury tailoring to The Nana Hotel".

And yet, somewhere, that sartorial mad man exists.

4 minutes ago, Keeps said:

You know full well that sparktrader/bignok/uttaradit/dolf has always been like this. Why are you surprised?

You are joking right?🤣

2 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

And now Susan let her vivid imagination fly again........

Nope it´s not. If used as an English slang word, it´s used  as a derogatory world pointing on the working class. Also coming from Portuguese meaning people or population.

Anyway, with the amount of posts you are starting to get on this thread, you must be a person with the most expertise on the subject at hand, without ever have been visiting the place. Amazing!

Your post makes no sense to me. Amazing you write like this.

• Confused 3

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Back then & now, about the only worse place than Nana I can think of  :cheesy:

Patpong.? You ain't looking.

For something completely different try The Old Other Office. Then a bit further along a beautiful bar the Crown Royal (No ladies on duty before 6.)

6 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Your post makes no sense to me. Amazing you write like this.

Of course, it doesn´t. Seems to be the little red line in all the threads you are active in.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Prubangboy said:

I have fond memories of the Nana Hotel tailor shop. Truly demented shirts with Nehru collars.

I would pay $100 to meet someone who says, "I only trust my luxury tailoring to The Nana Hotel".

And yet, somewhere, that sartorial mad man exists.

There actually used to be a really good tailor shop in the basement of the Landmark Hotel. It might have been called Profino Suit. Not sure if it's still there, I doubt it. It was owned and run by an older Thai man and his Indian son-in-law. Prices weren't the lowest, but it was quality and reliability. Another good one was on Silom Road next to Silom Complex in a small shop house. Also Thai owned and operated. It was called JR Tailor. Again, probably gone by now. 

50 minutes ago, Nomoneynohoney said:

Yeah great memories at the nana disco and at 2am closing time it would be off to the Grace Hotel coffeeshop till the early hours

What's the Grace like these days.?

• Sad 1

I remember going to the Nana Hotel disco a few times 20+ years ago during my earliest tourist visits to Thailand, because while not great, it actually was a Thai disco where people, including Thai young women, danced on a dance floor instead of just standing around tables.

Many years later, I tried the Nana Hotel coffee shop a few times for their cheap western all-you-can-eat buffet breakfast, which included things like pancakes which are nice to have from time to time....  But the place always had a bit of a creepy feeling for me, so I didn't hang around long.

Never stayed overnight at the hotel.  Couldn't trust the pillows!  🙂

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, susanlea said:

Looks fairly grotty

Screenshot_20240722_135845_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20240722_135814_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20240722_135824_Maps.jpg

Photos nobody needed. Plus, nobody needs you to post photos from Australia that everyone has the same access to on Google Maps in Thailand. Also, anyone who has been in Thailand for a long time knows the place very well. So a total waste of bandwidth, along with 98% of your posts. Why don't you simply follow what I posted in my OP below?

If you were never there back in the eighties or nineties then no need to add your rhetorical two satang. 

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Agree 1