Anybody running Windows 11?

On 7/22/2024 at 8:08 AM, still kicking said:

I need to buy a new laptop at the moment I am using Windows 10. Now most new laptops have Windows 11. Is there a big different in operation? I am not a computer geek so Windows 11 will be new for me so what is the main different?

There have been a few cosmetic changes like changing the position of the start menu and reorganizing the pinned apps menu. The settings menu is also better organized.

The differences aren't major but it's better operating system than Windows 10 and there's no major learning curve or problems with app compatibility. It does require more memory so I'd recommend you get at least 16gb

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, novacova said:

Because some programs only operate on windows os and inefficiently on a vm machine.

I find configuration can be laborious and troublesome if trying to instal/use an application on Linux for which the developers haven't provided a GUI. Otherwise, I believe what I have read that the only reason a basic user needs Windows is for playing games.

• Sad 2

My experience differs. I've had a Macbook Air that only lasted about 7 years, whereas my Windows PC is still kicking and going strong from 2010, and the laptop I'm typing on now is over 10 years old and still going strong. You need to look after your equipment. Give them a clean occasionally and a fresh coat of thermal paste, and don't be in a hurry to update all the time. Updating drivers is often the cause of trouble. If they work, leave them alone.

As far as the operating systems go, I'll take Windows over OSX any day. My wife has the latest MacBook Air and I never touch it. She likes it because it's a pretty laptop, but only uses it watch movies and YouTube LOL.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

No improvement on W 10, in fact, its annoying. The MS geeks move stuff around, so that what was simple and obvious before no longer is. This seems to be the case with all MS update versions. stick with 10 if you can 

What is difficult and obtuse today, is easy and obvious tomorrow. Life has always been like that.

• Agree 1

I have windows 11 on the laptop, works fine, and I have windows 10 on the desktop, as the operating system is older and cannot upgrade to windows 11 without my upgrading the motherboard. As the desk top has very high spec when purchased it still works very well.

The only annoying thing with windows 11 is it wants to know everything about you and wants to make you use window products, this part of windows I do not like. I prefer to choose what I use with out being pushed to a microsoft product.

Regards Co pilot, microsoft says it was a mistake and I think they will do away with it in updates.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Really?

IMHO, I see almost no difference and no learning curve at all.

I know there are lots of changes in the background, but nothing important for basic users.

I don't remember saying I was a 'basic user'.

• Haha 1

On 7/22/2024 at 8:08 AM, still kicking said:

I am not a computer geek so Windows 11 will be new for me so what is the main different?

The main difference is it is a more modern secure operating system, one that you should be already using to keep up with latest security features (Win10 offered free upgrades to Win11). In terms of ease of use, Win11 is easier too.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, stupidfarang said:

Regards Co pilot, microsoft says it was a mistake and I think they will do away with it in updates.

I haven't heard anything about this, do you have any detail?

I have been disappointed with Copilot lately and have been using ChatGPT as well now that it is free.

34 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

I don't remember saying I was a 'basic user'.

The person who started this thread wrote: "I am not a computer geek so Windows 11 will be new for me so what is the main different?"

Same same. 

2 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

I find configuration can be laborious and troublesome if trying to instal/use an application on Linux for which the developers haven't provided a GUI. Otherwise, I believe what I have read that the only reason a basic user needs Windows is for playing games.

What an absolute load of codswallop!   I need Windows for my profession of Music Productio, which I cannot do with Linux apps.

53 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

What an absolute load of codswallop!   I need Windows for my profession of Music Productio, which I cannot do with Linux apps.

You use the term; 'Profession'. Hence you are not a basic user. The gist of this thread was; 'I'm using Windows 10, will it be difficult switching to Windows 11?'. I believe that a basic user would manage just fine with Linux and thereafter wonder why they ever used Windows?

Edited by The Fugitive
Spelling mistake.
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Fugitive said:

You use the term; 'Profession'. Hence you are not a basic user. The gist of this tread was; 'I'm using Windows 10, will it be difficult switching to Windows 11?'. I believe that a basic user would manage just fine with Linux and thereafter wonder why they ever used Windows?

He would have a great learning curve changing from W10 to Linux. Much easier to go down the W11 path.

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

I have windows 11 on the laptop, works fine, and I have windows 10 on the desktop, as the operating system is older and cannot upgrade to windows 11 without my upgrading the motherboard. As the desk top has very high spec when purchased it still works very well.

The only annoying thing with windows 11 is it wants to know everything about you and wants to make you use window products, this part of windows I do not like. I prefer to choose what I use with out being pushed to a microsoft product.

Name checks out....only kidding. You likely don't need to upgrade your Motherboard. If it runs 10, it will run 11.

You can disable the Telemetry and Tracking.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, connda said:

I wrote this yesterday regarding Windows 11.

If your interested in trying out Win11 just do this.  Download a Windows 11 ISO and Rufus and buy a 32GB USB if you don't have one handy.  Then create a "Windows To Go" bootable "Live" USB using Rufus which you can run Windows 11 from to test it out.  Probably the most difficult steps is figuring out how to boot from a USB on your computer if you haven't done it before.  Like I said in my review, not much difference between Win10 and WIn11 other than Win11 has a cleaner user interface that is a bit more intuitive.  And Win11 will probably run more efficiently on modern hardware then Win10.  Go check it out. 

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/create-a-windows-to-go-version-of-windows-11

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

First thing I did with my new Windows 11 laptop was to wipe it and install MX Linux instead.

I'm running MX Linux on an old Dell laptop and really like it. Runs great, no drama.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

he only annoying thing with windows 11 is it wants to know everything about you and wants to make you use window products, this part of windows I do not like.

And now this:

Windows 11 strikes again with annoying pop-up that can’t be disabled

. . . Windows users are being notified that their systems aren’t backed up with the built-in Windows backup solution. . . . Sure, you can click the notification and dismiss it for a time… but it will show up again soon enough. . . . It’s obvious that Microsoft is pushing users to OneDrive by the fact that this cloud backup notification about supposedly necessary backups can’t be disabled. The only way to make it go away is to use it.

--https://www.pcworld.com/article/2405664/windows-11-disturbs-with-new-pop-up-that-cannot-be-switched-off.html

• Like 1

On 7/22/2024 at 8:52 AM, GreasyFingers said:

W11 is only a secondary use to Ubuntu as it was bundled with the laptop. If you do not mind it wanting to know what you had for breakfast it is not a difficult switch from W10. The never ending upgrades are just as bad.

I switched to OpenSUSE on all computers, except the small 10-year-old Acer laptop, which I rarely use.

It works very well.

No need for Windows products.

Even the two flatbed scanners work better on Linux with the KDE built-in scanner software, rather than the klunky and super slow....Canon Crud software.

I do not like Ubuntu, and only tested in once about a decade ago, or maybe 6 years in the past.

If I could not use OpenSUSE for some nonexistent reason, then I guess my second choice would be REDHAT....just because I love IBM, and I am still sore that OS/2 was dealt an unfair blow by that nitwit Gates (Gates is now OK with me, though...since he stopped with the Microsoft garbage.).

My advice is to install OpenSUSE 15.6 on your new laptop....just for testing....at first. Personally, I prefer Leap rather than the rolling release.

Then, if you do not like it, do Windows 11.

All that I can tell you is that I am thankful to not be using WIndows OS, any longer.

OpenSUSE does NOT add any garbage that you do not need.

Also, you might choose to add the Pacman repositories so that you will have it easier getting your multimedia apps working, at least initially.

Other than this point, everything else is straightforward.

Note:  When I stated Red Hat....I meant for PC, not server....like this....

image.png.2019a8c47d38f547fd376682cb1c9102.png

NOTE2:  If the user is used to Windows desktop, then maybe best to go with the Linux KDE desktop, to start.  Here is KDE running on Fedora, for example....

image.png.1782c404fae75cbb6b557f2ae8059fe8.png

Very nice.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BigStar said:

And now this:

Windows 11 strikes again with annoying pop-up that can’t be disabled

. . . Windows users are being notified that their systems aren’t backed up with the built-in Windows backup solution. . . . Sure, you can click the notification and dismiss it for a time… but it will show up again soon enough. . . . It’s obvious that Microsoft is pushing users to OneDrive by the fact that this cloud backup notification about supposedly necessary backups can’t be disabled. The only way to make it go away is to use it.

--https://www.pcworld.com/article/2405664/windows-11-disturbs-with-new-pop-up-that-cannot-be-switched-off.html

i have no notifications from Microsoft to use Onedrive

I don't like Cloud  and I still do my system image backup on a separate hard disk, it's still possible on W11  , same way than with W10  ( Win 7 ) 

I had to upgrade my laptop and ended up on w11.

Biggest issue for me is that Adobe wouldn’t allow me to edit old pdf documents without subscribing.

I found another pdf.

Quite a few things won’t work without signing into windows.

As mentioned above, the machine only wants to backup to onedrive, but you can delve in and use win7 backup to an external hd.

Its ok and overall not too different.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I switched to OpenSUSE on all computers, except the small 10-year-old Acer laptop, which I rarely use.

It works very well.

No need for Windows products.

Even the two flatbed scanners work better on Linux with the KDE built-in scanner software, rather than the klunky and super slow....Canon Crud software.

I do not like Ubuntu, and only tested in once about a decade ago, or maybe 6 years in the past.

If I could not use OpenSUSE for some nonexistent reason, then I guess my second choice would be REDHAT....just because I love IBM, and I am still sore that OS/2 was dealt an unfair blow by that nitwit Gates (Gates is now OK with me, though...since he stopped with the Microsoft garbage.).

My advice is to install OpenSUSE 15.6 on your new laptop....just for testing....at first. Personally, I prefer Leap rather than the rolling release.

Then, if you do not like it, do Windows 11.

All that I can tell you is that I am thankful to not be using WIndows OS, any longer.

OpenSUSE does NOT add any garbage that you do not need.

Also, you might choose to add the Pacman repositories so that you will have it easier getting your multimedia apps working, at least initially.

Other than this point, everything else is straightforward.

Note:  When I stated Red Hat....I meant for PC, not server....like this....

image.png.2019a8c47d38f547fd376682cb1c9102.png

NOTE2:  If the user is used to Windows desktop, then maybe best to go with the Linux KDE desktop, to start.  Here is KDE running on Fedora, for example....

image.png.1782c404fae75cbb6b557f2ae8059fe8.png

Very nice.

Interesting Note:  As you can see from this image, and from the amount of RAM allotted here, this KDE seems to be running in a virtual machine.....   So, there is a LOT you can do on Linux, either REDHAT or OpenSUSE...

I had to upgrade to Win11 when my foreign ID and Banking stopped to work.

It's not good, it's asking to update security and other updates every 4th or 6th day...

As noted pdf is gone too. And who knows what more.

No choice, gotta try to cope.

If it was up to me I still would be using 95SE or Win 7 PRO - two the bests ever 🙂

I've been backing up all C-drives to Western Digital external drive for 15 years. Cheap and works fine.

I also have current banking and other most important on USB stick.

I don't trust any "cloud" services. They suck you in for "free" service and then make it to pay-to-play, like Google did that with photos.

Plus: More and more major security break-ins are coming...

On 7/22/2024 at 4:33 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

That reminds me of that rich guy who always bought the newest ThinkPad with Windows.

And then he attended some Apple presentation, and he bought the best Apple. And he told me how wonderful it is.

A few months later he bought again the newest ThinkPad with Windows and never used the Apple again.

Summary: Some people like Apple, others like Windows. They are different.

I worked on an Apple a couple of times, and I never had the urge to change from Windows. 

The IBM ThinkPad I got at work in around 1999 was about the best laptop I've ever had, and I've has a few, including a couple MacBook Pros. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Aforek said:

i have no notifications from Microsoft to use Onedrive

I don't like Cloud  and I still do my system image backup on a separate hard disk, it's still possible on W11  , same way than with W10  ( Win 7 ) 

I put ALL my data on One Drive, but also stored locally so that it available on any of my PCs or phone from anywhere.

I have it on a separate SSD, which I then backup using Aomei Backupper to an old HDD in my main PC. Talk about belt & braces.

Edited by KannikaP

16 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I put ALL my data on One Drive, but also stored locally so that it available on any of my PCs or phone from anywhere.

I have it on a separate SSD, which I then backup using Aomei Backupper to an old HDD in my main PC. Talk about belt & braces.

I have to say the One Drive thing is handy.

• Agree 1

On 7/24/2024 at 5:23 AM, HighPriority said:

I had to upgrade my laptop and ended up on w11.

Biggest issue for me is that Adobe wouldn’t allow me to edit old pdf documents without subscribing.

I found another pdf.

Which pdf are you using now?

Tks.