American Arrested for Stabbing Australian to Death in Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

Totally agree with this, especially in these tourist ghetto's.

Obviously you have never been to Ao Nang otherwise you would not make such a ridiculous comment.....

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

Maybe! But there is no evidence that high gun ownership rates in a country equal high homicide rates.

Only in sh*thole countries I agree.🙄

Edited by Purdey

2 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Liam Michael Ross and Randall Owen Johnson, two men originating from the British Isles separated by two different oceans and hundreds of years only to be reunited in Thailand to engage in mortal combat and be killed. Tragic really to think they could have been neighbors 500 years ago.

Coincidence..? We called it karma. 

14 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Only in sh*thole countries I agree.🙄

You need to look at a country's homicide rate per 100,000 inhabitants and then do the same when looking up its rate of private gun ownership.

Thailand attracts the lower end of the tourist spectrum. Many male tourists , I would say,  come to Thailand for a good time . I bet they are not thinking of cultural activities like visiting temples. Cheap booze, cheap food and entertainment , using money to buy your way out of trouble surely helps in forming that impression. Malaysia ( Muslim country) and Singapore ( expensive country) could not offer those segment of tourists a value for their money spent. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, petermik said:

Obviously you have never been to Ao Nang otherwise you would not make such a ridiculous comment.....

Yes, i have been twice over my 24 years in Thailand.

Once which was Oct 2020 during Covid, absolutely fantastic, no one about, clean beaches, clean water and very cheap.

Once post Covid - horrible, full of tourists.

I will not return.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, 2baht said:

Just how stupid were the English for giving us such a wonderful country while they chose to stay in rainy old England!.............. Thanks England, try a holiday sometime and see just what you squandered!! 🙄

Wasn't there a war involved in the transaction?

13 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

You need to look at a country's homicide rate per 100,000 inhabitants and then do the same when looking up its rate of private gun ownership.

I agree. But we should also compare against developed nations for an apples and apples comparison.

oecde.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, 2baht said:

Just how stupid were the English for giving us such a wonderful country while they chose to stay in rainy old England!.............. Thanks England, try a holiday sometime and see just what you squandered!! 🙄

Good thing you're still living in Australia then.

2 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

Are police allowed to charge those found carrying a weapon on routine searches in Thailand, Australia or the UK? US obviously no, given the 'right to carry arms' culture

This problem has to be gripped and should be adopted in any right thinking nation. Get the w@nkz off the streets!

Defiantly in the UK locking knives are illigal and this one looks like a locking knife to me, also other items that could be used as weapons, like a screwdriver etc. Folding knifes up to 3" are allowed. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

This was so avoidable.

Totally stupid letting an American and and Australian, have that third beer chang.

It was only going to go south.

Most of us come  here to do the other F word. 

R.I.P to Australian guy.

Edited by rocketboy2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Defiantly in the UK locking knives are illigal and this one looks like a locking knife to me, also other items that could be used as weapons, like a screwdriver etc. Folding knifes up to 3" are allowed.

U.K. police weren't sure about the legality of my seaman's knife (stamped 'Admiralty' plus the year of manufacture). That caused me to look up 'flick knives'. Apparently, only legal to possess if manufactured prior to being banned in 1959 and also need to be kept at home.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Purdey said:

I agree. But we should also compare against developed nations for an apples and apples comparison.

How can you possibly have an "apples and apples comparison" if you bring the United States into the equation? After all, as I previously stated, it has a minority population whose males make up approximately six percent of the U.S. population but commit over 50% of its homicides. However, in the interest of apples and apples, if we subtract those homicides from the 3.82 per 100,000 we get a much lower homicide rate. That being said, there are other factors involved that prevent an apples to apples comparison, at least with the United States. Therefore, I would suggest, for example, comparing the private gun ownership rates of those countries like Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, Norway, and Austria that have lower homicide rates than the United Kingdom's. In that way you can see if their lower homicide rates are a result of low gun ownership rates or not. Japan and Singapore have extremely strict gun laws and very low homicide rates, but they cannot be part of the equation either because both countries have Capital Punishment on the books, which only one European nation today has. Also, it is worthy of mention, that Asian Americans have an extremely low crime rate even though they have access to firearms.

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

Yes, i have been twice over my 24 years in Thailand.

Once which was Oct 2020 during Covid, absolutely fantastic, no one about, clean beaches, clean water and very cheap.

Once post Covid - horrible, full of tourists.

I will not return.

I'm guessing if you visited a place twice in 24 years, that also makes you a tourist.

Hard to agree with your comment then, really.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Absolute nonsense.  You're part of the problem, just like the Texan.  It's a very serious crime in the UK to be carrying a knife.

"It's a very serious crime in the UK to be carrying a knife". One of the reasons so many people carry knives is because they hardly ever get caught, there are no police on the streets any more, they are too busy in their cosy offices.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

"It's a very serious crime in the UK to be carrying a knife". One of the reasons so many people carry knives is because they hardly ever get caught, there are no police on the streets any more, they are too busy in their cosy offices.

I would argue that the lack of police on UK streets has more to do with cutbacks than them being busy in cozy (cosy sic.) offices

Edited by 2long
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1