Six Police Officers Hurt in Thailand Roadside Bomb Blast

skynews-bomb-spain-explosion_5643228.jpg

Six police officers were injured when a roadside bomb exploded in Pattani, southern Thailand, causing the military to issue a public advisory asking drivers to be careful. The blast happened on Road 42 in the Nong Chik district when the officers were in an armored pickup truck returning to base from a checkpoint.

The vehicle swerved off the road and rolled down a bank following the explosion, according to the Internal Security Operations Command's (ISOC) southern frontline office. The blast sparked a bush fire. The injured officers were immediately taken to Pattani Hospital. ISOC linked the assault to insurgent groups active in the area.

The ISOC spokesperson stated the blast was so forceful it catapulted the vehicle off the road, reiterating that they believe it was the deed of insurgents.

Road 42, a key route between Songkhla and the southernmost provinces of Narathiwat, Pattani, and Yala, was sealed off after the incident. Bomb disposal experts were sent to thoroughly investigate the scene. The public was advised to use alternate routes where possible, and to keep alert.

An official advised travelers to steer clear of this section of Road 42, if feasible, and to remain vigilant. The bushfire started by the bomb created further disorder, but was eventually put out. This incident emphasises the constant security issues in southern Thailand, where rebel activity continues to pose a real danger.

Thai authorities have boosted security in the area and are carrying out a thorough investigation to prevent more attacks. They have appealed to the local community to report any suspicious activities to help maintain security on Road 42 and surrounding areas.

"We are doing our utmost to ensure the area's safety and identify the culprits," stated a security official.

The event once again highlights the unstable situation in Thailand's southern region, often targeted by rebels against both security personnel and civilians. The government is striving to implement immediate security measures and long-term solutions to tackle the root of the conflict.

Drivers and residents are advised to stay updated about the latest security news and cooperate with the authorities to guarantee their safety in the area.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-07-23

- Cigna offers a range of plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

38 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

I can see this is going to get serious - far too many bombings since new Govt took over. I think the Military/Police will soon be striking back at the Muslim terrorists. 

Let´s hope so. The quicker the better.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, MarcelV said:

Nothing can ever be done about the root cause except talking. With only military force the insurgency won't ever be beaten.

When I worked out of Songkhla, some of my Muslim friends explained that the Bangkok elite came in and appropriated land that had been in families for centuries.  Which seems typical for all of Thailand.  The difference being that some fight back.

I agree with you.  The only way through is dialog and some concessions to thousand year old customs of the folks that predated the existence of Thailand  in that area.  You can't solve a terrorist problem if your actions create more terrorists than you kill.  There's other places around the world learning the same lesson that same hard way.  And some that will never learn.

Edited by impulse
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

I can see this is going to get serious - far too many bombings since new Govt took over. I think the Military/Police will soon be striking back at the Muslim terrorists. 

Wash and repeat...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MarcelV said:

Nothing can ever be done about the root cause except talking. With only military force the insurgency won't ever be beaten.

Right but Wrong.  Talking with Muslim terrorists never has worked anywhere in the world. You either drive them out or they win - there is no 'settlement' possible - they are not fighting for 'normal' reasons such as Ukraine etc (economic, social, power, money, wealth, etc etc) - they are fighting for a Holy Cause'.  

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, impulse said:

When I worked out of Songkhla, some of my Muslim friends explained that the Bangkok elite came in and appropriated land that had been in families for centuries.  Which seems typical for all of Thailand.  The difference being that some fight back.

I agree with you.  The only way through is dialog and some concessions to thousand year old customs of the folks that predated the existence of Thailand  in that area.  You can't solve a terrorist problem if your actions create more terrorists than you kill.  There's other places around the world learning the same lesson that same hard way.  And some that will never learn.

Thousands of year ??  Muslims have not been living there for that long mate - learn some history. The Muslims took that land off those who had been living their for thousands of years - since before Buddha. 

But your point is valid - Thailand took over existing Muslim Caliphates - and perhaps it is time to give them back (for a negotiated fee).

2 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Right but Wrong.  Talking with Muslim terrorists never has worked anywhere in the world. You either drive them out or they win - there is no 'settlement' possible - they are not fighting for 'normal' reasons such as Ukraine etc (economic, social, power, money, wealth, etc etc) - they are fighting for a Holy Cause'.  

Maybe you should take the time to learn about Southern Thailand before making such a statement.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Thousands of year ??  Muslims have not been living there for that long mate - learn some history. The Muslims took that land off those who had been living their for thousands of years - since before Buddha. 

Again you show your ignorance, the people of the south didn't change, their religion did.

On 7/24/2024 at 11:05 AM, Stocky said:

Maybe you should take the time to learn about Southern Thailand before making such a statement.

On 7/24/2024 at 11:07 AM, Stocky said:

Again you show your ignorance, the people of the south didn't change, their religion did.

What ignorant statements you make - totally misconstrued and off topic - how do you know what I know.

Besides the fact that I was not talking to you - your ignorance of the subject matter is astonishing - but not unexpected.

Have another beer/bar girl and tomorrow have a long read - assuming you do read.

Islam: The Politically Incorrect Truth (thereligionofpeace.com)

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

What ignorant statements you make - totally misconstrued and off topic - how do you know what I know.

Besides the fact that I was not talking to you - your ignorance of the subject matter is astonishing - but not unexpected.

Have another beer/bar girl and tomorrow have a long read - assuming you do read.

Islam: The Politically Incorrect Truth (thereligionofpeace.com)

What exactly has that website to do with the conflict in Southern Thailand? As said I suggest you try reading the history of the south before making ill-informed comments. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stocky said:

What exactly has that website to do with the conflict in Southern Thailand? As said I suggest you try reading the history of the south before making ill-informed comments. 

I knew you would not read that - nor the section about Malaysia/Thailand.

Obviously you either cannot read or you cant - either way, go away.  

13 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

I knew you would not read that - nor the section about Malaysia/Thailand.

Where? A link to whatever article would help, I searched for both 'Thailand' and 'Malaysia' on that link page and there are no matches!

You posted that "Muslims have not been living there for that long mate - learn some history. The Muslims took that land off those who had been living their for thousands of years - since before Buddha."  Which is incorrect, the people of southern Thailand converted to Islam. The process was gradual, slowly replacing Buddhism, which had in turn displaced Hinduism, Islam was brought by Arab traders.

Edited by Stocky

On 7/23/2024 at 3:13 PM, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Thailand can learn from how the Philippines negotiated an agreement in Mindanao.

While not perfect, much of the violence has stopped.  I believe semi-autonomy is what did it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Where? A link to whatever article would help, I searched for both 'Thailand' and 'Malaysia' on that link page and there are no matches!

You posted that "Muslims have not been living there for that long mate - learn some history. The Muslims took that land off those who had been living their for thousands of years - since before Buddha." Which is incorrect, the people of southern Thailand converted to Islam.

You have issues - I suggest after reading my post below from yesterday that you calm down and think.

image.png.58fb2ff3e5bb58ba75a9ffad1244a557.png

1 minute ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

You have issues - I suggest after reading my post below from yesterday that you calm down and think.

I have issues with inaccurate portrayals of history, read my previous comment. Muslims did not invade southern Thailand as your post would imply, rather the local population converted to Islam.

8 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

Thailand can learn from how the Philippines negotiated an agreement in Mindanao.

While not perfect, much of the violence has stopped.  I believe semi-autonomy is what did it. 

I agree - this never ending 'war' should be stopped one way or the other, and the example of Mindanao in Philippines and even that of Penang are two possible 'solutions'.  Likewise, in Singapore there is a 'positive' Muslim community that has sorted out well the difficulties of being Muslim in a secular country.  Thailand needs to look around for what has worked in the past and try to adapt that experiences to suit the Thailand situation. But as we both know, the 'Thai way' often means they are only focused on short term driven agendas of power and wealth. 

3 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I have issues with inaccurate portrayals of history, read my previous comment. Muslims did not invade southern Thailand as your post would imply, rather the local population converted to Islam.

I have never implied any such thing. Stop. Think. Re-read what I have said - all of my posts. 

18 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

I have never implied any such thing. Stop. Think. Re-read what I have said - all of my posts. 

It's difficult to interpret your statement that "The Muslims took that land off those who had been living their for thousands of years" any other way.

On 7/24/2024 at 8:13 AM, TroubleandGrumpy said:

You obviously know nothing of the issues in the south with a statement like that.

30 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

I've read all your posts, and concluded once again you know diddly squat about the insurgency in the south of Thailand.

It is amusing though that you throw your weight around, telling people they are way off track when actually you are clueless yourself.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Stocky said:

It's difficult to interpret your statement that "The Muslims took that land off those who had been living their for thousands of years" any other way.

That is your interpretation - not the intent.  Most people know they took over slowly slowly by more and more of their people arriving and then through successive generations taking over the positions of power and control.  Same tactic being employed in Europe right now.   

4 hours ago, sungod said:

You obviously know nothing of the issues in the south with a statement like that.

4 hours ago, sungod said:

I've read all your posts, and concluded once again you know diddly squat about the insurgency in the south of Thailand.

It is amusing though that you throw your weight around, telling people they are way off track when actually you are clueless yourself.

Clearly people like you and your mate need some lessons in the history of Muslim conflicts and their acquisitions of land. Perhaps you both think it is the Malays that are fighting for their 'homeland' and not Muslims wanting their own Religion to rule and not be 'ruled' by a Secular Buddhist State. I wont waste my time anymore - reality aint what some people want to see/hear.   

53 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Most people know they took over slowly slowly by more and more of their people arriving and then through successive generations taking over the positions of power and control.  Same tactic being employed in Europe right now. 

That's incorrect, this isn't a story of mass migration, this is a story of conversion. It has no comparison to Europe and immigration from North Africa and the Indian Sub-Continent. Islam was brought through trade and an exchange of culture and ideas. Adoption of Islam accelerated in the 15th century after the then King of Pattani, Raja Intera, converted to Islam. I repeat this is not about immigration or invasion.

I'd be interested in your source for "Most people know".

There's a good book, in paperback, "The History of the Malay Kingdom of Patani" by Ibrahim Syukri, translated by Conner Bailey and John Miksic, it's worth reading.

Edited by Stocky
  • Haha 1

On 7/24/2024 at 8:13 AM, TroubleandGrumpy said:

- they are fighting for a Holy Cause'.  

of course they are.....

its when I read this i knew you didn't understand the insurgency in the south

1 hour ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Most people know they took over slowly slowly by more and more of their people arriving and then through successive generations taking over the positions of power and control.  Same tactic being employed in Europe right now.   

Further to the above, there are numerous genetic studies of the peoples of SE Asia and the Malay Peninsular. I've picked a graphic from one research paper below, which compares the DNA admixture graphs of the four main groupings in Thailand clearly showing how similar each group is genetically. This supports the historical narrative that the local population converted to Islam rather than being replaced by a foreign Muslim population.

2024-07-2519_15_43-PowerPointSlideShow-Figure(2)_pptx.jpg.43800c8a8bb60dcbfa8bdbb1995e7866.jpg

Wibhu Kutanan et al., 2021 - "Reconstructing the Human Genetic History of Mainland Southeast Asia: Insights from Genome-Wide Data from Thailand and Laos"  - Molecular Biology and Evolution, Volume 38, Issue 8, August 2021, Pages 3459–3477

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Clearly people like you and your mate need some lessons in the history of Muslim conflicts and their acquisitions of land. Perhaps you both think it is the Malays that are fighting for their 'homeland' and not Muslims wanting their own Religion to rule and not be 'ruled' by a Secular Buddhist State. I wont waste my time anymore - reality aint what some people want to see/hear.   

And my post above gets me responses about 'genetics' and 'conversions not acquisitions'.

Seems to me that some people really dont think about history very well, or like GenZ they have only ever been fed PC versions of history.

The 'insurgents' in the south are Muslim terrorists - everything else in BS - they are Malay Muslims, but they are Muslims.

Cartman summed up Disney Star War movies perfectly - 'put another chick in it and make it more gay'.

He also summed up Muslim terrorists when Kyle said not all Muslims are terrorists (true) - Cartman said 'but all terrorists are Muslims'.

The truth is that Islam conquered both Malaysia and Indonesia - just like Christianity conquered much of Sth America.

The Christians did it through invasion and conquering - like the Muslims did in Nth Africa and parts of Europe.

Muslims took over in both Malaysia and Indonesia more through 'stealth' - which started with trade and then with more Muslim people.

What was once made into a separate Muslim Caliphate, against the wishes of the local Buddhist Thais, was taken back.

The Muslims want their 'conquered land' back, and the Buddhist Thais do not want that to happen (again).

The Muslim terrorists are protesting/fighting through violence - they even bombed a Bangkok shrine.   

There - history lesson over - they are Muslim terrorists - and I hope they kill them all or drive them out.

Now - back to my first post (see below).

On 7/23/2024 at 5:36 PM, TroubleandGrumpy said:

May I suggest you read up on Fiji and how the Indians had taken control of much of the country - mainly due to apathy of the locals.

I was in Fiji just before the coup in early 2000s - we visited several times and the 'Indian problem' was obvious (outside the resorts).

May I suggest that you read up on all the wealthy Chinese families now in much control of Thailand - not all Chinese escaped to Taiwan.

I have been in Thailand (on/off) since 2012 - and lived here several years at a time in several cities/towns - it is obvious here too. 

The problem is that 'academic history' does not tell all the truth anymore - very much only the PC correct versions of the truth.

The Muslims conquered lands as surely as the Christians did - but we gave them back - the Muslims never do that.

They are either killed and/or driven out (Spain, Italy, etc etc) or they stay and take over - that is the truth of Muslim history - look it up.

What they were and the real reasons for the Crusades is not that easy to find - woke academics and PC people have watered it down.

The reason they never 'give up' is that they are still like the early Christians were - conquer and convert them through any means (all in the name of God and Jesus) - use violence and commit atrocities whenever needed (all in the name of Allah and Muhammad). 

21 hours ago, sungod said:

Poster has it spot on, apologists for Islamic violence and intimidation always like to pretend issues are more complicated, blame other people, usually Western powers and play down jihadist terrorism. Where do they get their inspiration from?- 'I was made victorious with terror'- the so called prophet quoted in Bukhari who launched 80 raids and wars in 10 years.