I am confused re PC storage.

giddyup

I'm about to buy a new PC that has 16GB of storage, yet when I check the storage on my old PC it says I have 67GB. What am I reading wrong?

These are the specs of the new one I'm buying.

Processor

Intel® Core™ i5-13420H, 8C (4P + 4E) / 12T, P-core up to 4.6GHz, E-core up to 3.4GHz, 12MB

Graphics

Integrated Intel® UHD Graphics

Chipset

Intel® SoC Platform

Memory

1x 16GB SO-DIMM DDR5-5200

Memory Slots

Two DDR5 SO-DIMM slots, dual-channel capable

Max Memory

Up to 16GB DDR5-5200

Storage

256GB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe® 4.0x4 NVMe®

1 minute ago, treetops said:

The new one's storage is shown in the bottom line of the table you posted as 256GB and SSD (Solid State Drive).  The 16GB is memory capacity.

OK, got it, thanks.

One other question, my old Lenovo AIO has an optical drive which I needed for things like installing my camera downloads, how can I install a program like that which is on a disc without optical drive?

3 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Is the storage on your old PC the remaining amount? Most computers will have over 200 GB. What you're reading is the Memory amount of 16GB. The storage as you can see is 256GB.

No, that was the total amount, there's only 13.4GB remaining to use.

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

One other question, my old Lenovo AIO has an optical drive which I needed for things like installing my camera downloads, how can I install a program like that which is on a disc without optical drive?

USB stick or direct download from supplier's site.

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

If by "camera downloads" you mean drivers, they should be available online. There's a reason computers don't come with optical drives anymore – they're simply not needed, as 99% of what you need will be available online.

• Thanks 1

Just now, treetops said:

USB stick or direct download from supplier's site.

Wouldn't you need an optical drive to transfer the program onto a stick?

Just now, Myran said:

If by "camera downloads" you mean drivers, they should be available online. There's a reason computers don't come with optical drives anymore – they're simply not needed, as 99% of what you need will be available online.

The camera is pretty ancient as well, it's a Panasonic Lumix with only 6MP, but it still works a treat.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Wouldn't you need an optical drive to transfer the program onto a stick?

No.  You can probably get it from the supplier's website, or if you currently have it on a disc then you could transfer it to USB using your old AOI.

• Thanks 1

You have 16GB of Random Access Memory (RAM) which is extreme fast memory connected to the CPU via bus structures.

"Storage" is where you actually store programs and store data (documents, pictures, audio, video) whether it's on an old spinning Hard Disk Drive (HDD) or a Solid-State Drive (SSD).  Accessing data stored in disk "storage" (HDD/SDD) is significantly slower than access data stored in memory (RAM).

The computer takes programs and data that is being used at the moment by programs, out of the HDD/SSD "Storage" and puts it into memory (RAM) where is can access those programs and data very quickly. 

There ya go:  Computers 101 sorta stuff.

Edited by connda
  • Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

You can buy an external optical drive

Why would anyone want to do that - its just creating more electronic waste? Just copy the files from original CD using the old optical drive to some hard drive or USB storage or better still get the files from the internet if the product is still there.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

Why would anyone want to do that - its just creating more electronic waste? Just copy the files from original CD using the old optical drive to some hard drive or USB storage or better still get the files from the internet if the product is still there.

I still have an old external optical drive that I can use if necessary.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Download the drivers from the manufacturer's website.

Install them BEFORE attaching the device.

But I think you can attach this camera to your PC with a USB cable, where it will show as a "drive", just drag the files to your PC.

• Thanks 1

Anyone know why it's cheaper to buy this PC online rather than direct from the Advice store? Online it's 18,290 baht, buy from store it's 18,990 baht.

15 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Anyone know why it's cheaper to buy this PC online rather than direct from the Advice store? Online it's 18,290 baht, buy from store it's 18,990 baht.

Is this the model you intend to buy? ASUS Vivobook 15 (X1502). Anyway, I bought mine from my local Advice shop. Easier to take it in if there's any problem as they have a resident English speaking and friendly tech guy.

Edited by The Fugitive

2 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

It can be also useful in case you want to watch a DVD or listen to a CD even if nowadays this is not so common anymore.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, giddyup said:

That's not the price of the PC that you have asked about in this post....

6 minutes ago, msbkk said:

It can be also useful in case you want to watch a DVD or listen to a CD even if nowadays this is not so common anymore.

Agree. My family still insist upon buying those 110 track MP3 Thai music disks whenever they see them on sale.

24 minutes ago, NowNow said:

That's not the price of the PC that you have asked about in this post....

Yes, same one. Lenovo 24IRH9.

27 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Is this the model you intend to buy? ASUS Vivobook 15 (X1502). Anyway, I bought mine from my local Advice shop. Easier to take it in if there's any problem as they have a resident English speaking and friendly tech guy.

No, it's an Lenovo AIO 24IRH9.