Engineer injured in fall at Pattaya shopping mall

webfact

engineer-fall.webp

A female engineer inspecting the steel framework of a well-known shopping mall fell through a broken ceiling panel, landing painfully on the floor.

The incident occurred at 12.16am today, July 25, when the Sawang Boriboon Thammasathan Pattaya radio centre received a report of someone falling from a height inside a shopping mall in Central Pattaya, Nong Prue, Bang Lamung District, Chon Buri Province. Rescue volunteers quickly arrived at the scene to assess the situation.

On the second floor of the shopping mall, the injured person, 27 year old Watchareekorn, was found suffering from severe back pain and chest tightness. Rescue personnel promptly administered first aid and transported her to a nearby hospital. Additionally, shattered ceiling panels were scattered across the floor where the accident occurred.

The head technician, 47 year old Chatchai, provided details of the incident. According to Chatchai, the injured individual is an engineer responsible for surveying work.

She had climbed onto the second-floor ceiling to inspect the steel structure recently installed by the technicians. Due to the darkness, she accidentally stepped on a fragile ceiling panel, causing it to break and her body to fall to the ground, resulting in injuries, reported KhaoSod.

Watchareekorn remains in hospital in a stable condition.

In related news, another tragic incident at a luxury hotel in Pattaya has left tourists reeling after a German national fell to his death. Police are now working to uncover the true motive behind this unfortunate event.

This morning, the Sawang Boriboon Thammasathan Pattaya Rescue Radio Centre received reports of a man falling from a height at a five-star hotel near Pattaya Beach, Nong Prue Subdistrict, Bang Lamung District, Chon Buri Province. Upon receiving the call, the centre promptly coordinated with Thanya Udtong, an investigator from Pattaya City Police Station, and Pattaya Tourist Police, along with rescue volunteers, to rush to the scene.

by Bright Choomanee
Picture courtesy of KhaoSod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-07-25

- Cigna offers a range of plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

I visit that "well known" mall almost daily, and for the past year I have had an eye at that ceiling, and wondered when it would come down entirely.

That roof, or actually I think it are the rusting water pipes above the ceiling, show more leaks than a strainer

Being a Thai female she would've been carrying her iphone, so why didn't she open the torch feature? Then again she was probably watching YouTube and neglected where she placed her feet. I'm an ex plumber and air aircon worker who never went into unknown territory without any safety devices.

• Thumbs Up 2

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Due to the darkness, she accidentally stepped on a fragile ceiling panel, causing it to break and her body to fall to the ground, resulting in injuries, reported KhaoSod.

22 hours ago, webfact said:

A female engineer inspecting the steel framework of a well-known shopping mall fell through a broken ceiling panel, landing painfully on the floor.

Not carrying a torch into a dark roof space, and not knowing not to stand on ceiling panels. I hope she recovers soon, The 'head Technician' is at fault bad training and incorrect supervision. It does make me wonder where she got her qualifications ....:coffee1:

20 hours ago, mikebell said:

Why is she working at that time of the morning?

Perhaps had to do her checks after the Mall had closed, which in many cases is like 11pm. 

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

I expect this mall to be in the news soon again, and this time it will not be because someone fell through the ceiling, but because the ceiling came down.

Anyone familiar with this mall know that the ceiling looks very bad for years already, because there are numerous water leaks above.

Currently the whole ceiling is ingressed by water, probably leaking water pipes, and now there are several holes the size of the one in the OP, in combination with the ceiling coming apart in some locations. Some of the holes are closed off by plastic bags. 😃

Yesterday I counted not less than 15 buckets, on the top floor near the shop entrance, to collect water dripping from the ceiling.

For the past few days it is impossible to use the main escalator without getting wet.

This is a disaster waiting to happen, and I have decided to now only use the escalator at the other end of the mall.

16 hours ago, CallumWK said:

I expect this mall to be in the news soon again, and this time it will not be because someone fell through the ceiling, but because the ceiling came down.

Anyone familiar with this mall know that the ceiling looks very bad for years already, because there are numerous water leaks above.

Currently the whole ceiling is ingressed by water, probably leaking water pipes, and now there are several holes the size of the one in the OP, in combination with the ceiling coming apart in some locations. Some of the holes are closed off by plastic bags. 😃

Yesterday I counted not less than 15 buckets, on the top floor near the shop entrance, to collect water dripping from the ceiling.

For the past few days it is impossible to use the main escalator without getting wet.

This is a disaster waiting to happen, and I have decided to now only use the escalator at the other end of the mall.

I presume we talk of Big-CX, and coincidentally I was stood craning my neck, looking up, and talking to a friend on the upper floor there Tuesday. My attention had been called to the ceiling by a large receptacle gathering the drips of rain water. Furthermore, I am told by someone who has a view over the roof, that there is  big installation of solar panels going on. What appears to be supporting electrical panels are being fitted on the far side of the car park, which you will feel narrowing your entrance from the rear North West Corner. I do hope the roof can take the weight, the underlying ceiling obviously isn't doing well.