Alfusolin for BPH is doing my head in! (sneezing, runny nose...)

I take 1 Alfusolin every day to counter my BPH, to help me to pass water.  If I don't take this medication, then it's difficult to pass water.

But unfortunately, (and I think Alfusolin is the reason), I suffer from absolute torrents of runny nose mucus, as well as sneezing.  These are known side-effects of Alfusolin.  The amount of mucus is high, dripping out of my nose 🙂  So I take anti-hystamine to try to stop my runny nose. But many anti-hystamines make you drowsy, and since this medication apparently narrows the blood vessels in your nasal passages, could it also be countering the effects of the Alfusolin?

Advice please as to how to keep my uretha open and my nasal blood vessels closed!

There are plenty of other drugs for BPH,. change the medicine if it is giving you problems. Check the internet and look up side effects for BPH drugs and pick one with your doctor that doesn't list rhinitis as a side effect.

As Retarius has said, there are other medications. Tamsulosin, Doxasozin, Prazosin, Tadalafil etc.

It's a matter of finding one which is the most effective for you, with minimum side effects.

Most of the alpha blockers will have a runny nose as a side effect, Tadalafil may cause nasal congestion. Take your pick.

I have never been in favor of taking something to offset the effects of another medication. It only puts extra stress on the kidneys and liver.

See a doctor.

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

As Retarius has said, there are other medications. Tamsulosin, Doxasozin, Prazosin, Tadalafil etc.

It's a matter of finding one which is the most effective for you, with minimum side effects.

Most of the alpha blockers will have a runny nose as a side effect, Tadalafil may cause nasal congestion. Take your pick.

I have never been in favor of taking something to offset the effects of another medication. It only puts extra stress on the kidneys and liver.

See a doctor.

Thanks - seeing a competent doctor is not an option in a rural area - my first point of call (for many years) is Dr Google. (Actually, not quite true - I value Sheryl's advice way more than Google).  I guess that opening up the prostate vessels has a similar effect on my nose!

There are 4 drugs approved for this purpose:

Terazosin

Tamsulosin

Doxazozosin

And the Alfuzosin you currently take.  

All are long acting alpha-1 blockers so action and side effects are generally similar. 

Surely you have been on alfuzosin for a while? How long have you been on it  and how long ago did the runny nose become bothersome?

There might be another cause. It is flu & cold season or you might have an allergy...especially if antihistamines seem to help. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

There are 4 drugs approved for this purpose:

Terazosin

Tamsulosin

Doxazozosin

And the Alfuzosin you currently take.  

All are long acting alpha-1 blockers so action and side effects are generally similar. 

Surely you have been on alfuzosin for a while? How long have you been on it  and how long ago did the runny nose become bothersome?

There might be another cause. It is flu & cold season or you might have an allergy...especially if antihistamines seem to help. 

Yes, considering the many years I've been taking Alfuzolin, it's no doubt an allergy 🙂 I think there are some antihistamine medicines that don't make you drowsy.  Is there a particular medicine that I should look for?

Once you realize you have absolute control of your health mostly via the nonphysical realm, then  these physical body nuisances will disappear.

Develop some mental toughness and your health will be reset to perfection.

You appear to have placed the physical world medical profession theories in a superior ranking to God and you are experiencing the futility.  I watched decades of this futility play out with family and friends.

Here is how I did it.  Set a goal of perfect health in the prostate and feel confident it will happen.  Say a daily prayer such as "Thank you for a fully functioning prostate."  God knows if you mean it or not and gives you your intention.  You must be thinking about health problems too much.  Let them go.  Release them.  And only think about good health.

You are a perfect example of the necessity and importance of the first two commandments and the unecessary discomfort that results if you fail to follow.

Once you have perfected the nonphysical objective, your diet, exercise, sleep regimine will automatically reset to achieve your perfect prostate health goal.  Effortlessly.

This method is applicable to all health issues.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/27/2024 at 3:44 PM, simon43 said:

I take 1 Alfusolin every day to counter my BPH, to help me to pass water.  If I don't take this medication, then it's difficult to pass water.

But unfortunately, (and I think Alfusolin is the reason), I suffer from absolute torrents of runny nose mucus, as well as sneezing.  These are known side-effects of Alfusolin.  The amount of mucus is high, dripping out of my nose 🙂  So I take anti-hystamine to try to stop my runny nose. But many anti-hystamines make you drowsy, and since this medication apparently narrows the blood vessels in your nasal passages, could it also be countering the effects of the Alfusolin?

Advice please as to how to keep my uretha open and my nasal blood vessels closed!

How long have you been on Alfuzosin? I started on it more than 4 years ago and also got the runny nose, sneezing side effects but they weren't too bothersome. After being on it about a year I read of a study that reported that the same dose but only every other day had virtually identical benefit as the daily dose.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9671862/

I tried it and it has worked very well for me and the side effects were reduced. No prostate problems since I started Alfuzosin although I changed my diet too on doctors advice. Cut out virtually all dairy and sugar, and alcohol as much as I could.

Good luck.

Edited by edwinchester