Long-Stay Visa ID Cards For Foreigners

I'm from the UK. we have, so far, managed to avoid this intrusion into our lives , (up to now at least). I am in no rush to be forced to carry an ID card here or anywhere else. I don't generally carry my passport either but have never ever had a related problem.   Shove them ID cards where the sun don't shine

They may well be able to print one off for you for 300 baht, that is not the issue,   the issue will be how much they can fine you for not carrying it, It will a lot more than 300 baht

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Bday Prang said:

I'm from the UK. we have, so far, managed to avoid this intrusion into our lives , (up to now at least). I am in no rush to be forced to carry an ID card here or anywhere else. I don't generally carry my passport either but have never ever had a related problem.   Shove them ID cards where the sun don't shine

They may well be able to print one off for you for 300 baht, that is not the issue,   the issue will be how much they can fine you for not carrying it, It will a lot more than 300 baht

Seems you had difficulty understanding the OP:

36 minutes ago, BangkokBernie said:

Not to make the ID card mandatory, but as an option for foreigners who would like to have it

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I'm from the UK. we have, so far, managed to avoid this intrusion into our lives

And as a consequence of avoiding "this intrusion" there are large numbers of illegal immigrants living, working and criminalising with impunity.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, FriscoKid said:

Seems you had difficulty understanding the OP

Anybody who needs a card to constantly remind them who they are should consider applying for the alien worker ID card ,  The pink ID card much beloved by some on here who feel it provides them with some sort of elevated status

The OP,  the content which I have no trouble understanding, seems unaware of that cards existence !

I have never had to prove my visa status anywhere except on arrival     

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, FriscoKid said:

Sure. I would get one. And if it provided certain discounts, like access to national parks at local entry fee prices, then it could be even better. 

So not just an ID card then but something similar to a supermarket loyalty card.....:cheesy:  dream on . Or go buy an equally spurious" Elite visa" 

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bday Prang said:

Anybody who needs a card to constantly remind them who they are should consider applying for the alien worker ID card ,  The pink ID card much beloved by some on here who feel it provides them with some sort of elevated status

The OP,  the content which I have no trouble understanding, seems unaware of that cards existence !

I have never had to prove my visa status anywhere except on arrival     

To get a pink card, you typically need to have a yellow book or to be listed in a Thai person's blue book. The majority of foreigners don't have that.

Also, the main purpose of the ID card mentioned by the OP appears to be to provide verification of your valid visa status as per the subject of the topic "Long-Stay Visa ID Cards For Foreigners". The pink card doesn't provide that. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Foxx said:

And as a consequence of avoiding "this intrusion" there are large numbers of illegal immigrants living, working and criminalising with impunity.

And you think a stupid plastic card will stop illegal immigration ?  Please explain how.   Bearing in mind, firstly, that the 1st action taken by the illegals as they approach the UK is to throw any existing ID into the sea.   and secondly as it appears impossible to deport the invaders, the only option will be to hand out ID cards to them all.  So it won't stop them coming and it won't affect them staying

Got any better ideas Einstein

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, FriscoKid said:

To get a pink card, you typically need to have a yellow book or to be listed in a Thai person's blue book. The majority of foreigners don't have that.

Also, the main purpose of the ID card mentioned by the OP appears to be to provide verification of your valid visa status as per the subject of the topic "Long-Stay Visa ID Cards For Foreigners". The pink card doesn't provide that. 

Verification of visa status to who exactly?  How many times have you had to verify your visa status?  Its hardly normal to be asked to do so, but that will change if they start issuing ID cards.    Anybody staying here long term can obtain a yellow book, any ID card issued will also require some  supporting documents at least one of which will be a passport (with a visa ) but do you really think the Thai bureaucracy will settle for that?  No way, It will involve a trip to the amphur along with witnesses and the Poo Yai Bahn and whatever else they dream up

People should stop trying to turn this country into a copy of the miserable place they have just left   

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Verification of visa status to who exactly?  How many times have you had to verify your visa status?  Its hardly normal to be asked to do so, but that will change if they start issuing ID cards.    Anybody staying here long term can obtain a yellow book, any ID card issued will also require some  supporting documents at least one of which will be a passport (with a visa ) but do you really think the Thai bureaucracy will settle for that?  No way, It will involve a trip to the amphur along with witnesses and the Poo Yai Bahn and whatever else they dream up

People should stop trying to turn this country into a copy of the miserable place they have just left   

Mate, you must be solidly out to lunch. You want somebody to jump through all the hoops to get a yellow book, just to be able to eventually get a pink card, which doesn't even serve the purpose of being a visa status ID card (as per the original post). What's the point of that? Are you a Trump supporter too?

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

And you think a stupid plastic card will stop illegal immigration ?  Please explain how. 

Yes.  No stupid plastic card, ergo no bank account, no rental accommodation, no employment.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BangkokBernie said:

ID card for foreigners that would have your photo on it, passport number, and current visa expiration date for any foreigner residing in Thailand on a one-year visa (or longer) who wants one. 

You can do this yourself, laminate a photo copy of documents. 

I have friends that do this, reduce size of photocopies and laminate, encapsulated 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

1 hour ago, BangkokBernie said:

It would be interesting if the government created a temporary ID card for foreigners that would have your photo on it, passport number, and current visa expiration date for any foreigner residing in Thailand on a one-year visa (or longer) who wants one. 

Not to make the ID card mandatory, but as an option for foreigners who would like to have it and then not have to carry around their passports, or any other form of identification, to prove that they are present in Thailand on a valid visa. 

The government could charge ฿200-฿300 for the card every year and I think many foreigners would go for it. It would be helpful for everyone, create a few more jobs, and add a boost to Immigration Dept revenues.

klink.png.403838878e80bcc2536a5934d5d6215d.png

• Sad 1

What's wrong with a drivers licence? It has my picture, and passport number on it .

We Just went to a national park (Tat Fa Waterfalls ) they tried to make me pay farang price, wife said "I lived here , and here is his drivers licence, he would not have one if he did not live here" they said Ok and I paid regular price. 

When I lived and worked in Malaysia for a couple of years I, and my wife, were both issued with an "i-pass", a plastic card similar to what the op is referring to. They were valid for the length of my employment pass (we were issued with new ones after the yearly extension), and were a form of ID, as well as allowing priority queueing at the airport, plus the option of not getting a stamp in your passport when entering and leaving (very handy when I was going through a passport every 2 - 3 years due to them filling up with stamps).  They could not be used to get the local rate at attractions though, that required a "MyKad", which only citizens get. (Malaysia being even more xenophobic than Thailand, even against its own non Malay citizens).  I'd like to see a similar card issued to long term visa holders here (minus the lack of local discounts), but can't see it happening.  I don't carry my passport with me (but do have a laminated "micro copy" in my wallet, with photo page on one side and current extension on the other), and have never been asked for it, but I imagine a drivers' licence or even pink card wouldn't fit the bill if asked, as they give no indication of your visa status, other than you had a valid permit to stay at the time they were issued.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, BangkokBernie said:

It would be interesting if the government created a temporary ID card for foreigners that would have your photo on it, passport number, and current visa expiration date for any foreigner residing in Thailand on a one-year visa (or longer) who wants one. 

Not to make the ID card mandatory, but as an option for foreigners who would like to have it and then not have to carry around their passports, or any other form of identification, to prove that they are present in Thailand on a valid visa. 

The government could charge ฿200-฿300 for the card every year and I think many foreigners would go for it. It would be helpful for everyone, create a few more jobs, and add a boost to Immigration Dept revenues.

This would be very popular with a certain demographic.  They could put it on a lanyard and wear it round their neck at all times.  The little sleeve could be clear on one side, then have "I'm not a tourist - I speak Thai" on the other.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ballpoint said:

plus the option of not getting a stamp in your passport when entering and leaving (very handy when I was going through a passport every 2 - 3 years due to them filling up with stamps)

You get this in Vietnam also.  Temporary Resident Card.  It's very convenient going in and out of the country, and it makes you feel kind of "welcome".  Two reasons I can't see it catching on in Thailand.

5 hours ago, Foxx said:

Absolutely nothing to do with ID cards

more the result of weak as pi55 leaders

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Foxx said:

Yes.  No stupid plastic card, ergo no bank account, no rental accommodation, no employment.

They seem to manage quite well without those already, or had you not heard?   Their rent is paid for them and they work cash in hand, you have no idea

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, JK-Trilly said:

Mate, you must be solidly out to lunch. You want somebody to jump through all the hoops to get a yellow book, just to be able to eventually get a pink card, which doesn't even serve the purpose of being a visa status ID card (as per the original post). What's the point of that? Are you a Trump supporter too?

I don't want anybody to do anything, its entirely up to them.    I have no wish to be obliged to carry any form of ID card,  This has nothing to do with Trump, about whom I am totally ambivalent

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, Galong said:

The pink ID card is simply a convenience and something that every Thai I've used it with accepts... nothing more and nothing less.  But I guess some folks need to take every opportunity to slam expats.🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ 

But  the pink card makes you feel a bit special though doesn't it.?   

• Sad 1