Thoughts on the opening ceremony at the Paris Olympics

1 minute ago, johng said:

Tried posting there was deleted

Well I doubt that it will stay long in this thread either, as its way off topic and will likely be deleted again .

Also, its not s sensible thing to do, reposting deleted posts

1 minute ago, Baht Simpson said:

My God. Nakedness! Won't someone think of the children? 555

2 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

My God. Nakedness! Won't someone think of the children? 555

555 Is that some kind of Freudian slip ?  naked children ? 

(Mary Whitehouse and Disgusted from Tunbridge Wells object vehemently   )

everyone is born naked therefore naked children are perfectly natural.

However they really shouldn't be broadcast on Olympic TV  555

There is an Olympics? Wake me up for the Winter Olympics or when the Russians compete under their own flag and the games aren't a politicized circle-jerk manufactured solely by the West.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Hummin said:

The last supper by drag queens?

What did the Olympics opening ceremony mean?

The ceremony's artistic director Thomas Jolly said it was meant to celebrate diversity and pay tribute to feasting and French gastronomy

The organizers said on Sunday they denied 'any intention to show disrespect to any religious group.' Organizers of the Paris Olympics said Sunday, July 28, they were "really sorry" for any offense caused by their daring and quirky opening ceremony but denied "any intention to show disrespect to any religious

They knew exactly what they were doing, set out deliberately to do so and now mutter contrived denials and obviously insincere apologies for any offence caused.

They deliberately presented a tableaux which set out to mock the "last supper", a central tenet of the Christian (and particularly the Catholic faith); a faith which is strongly represented in France.

This tableaux had at best a very tenuous connection with olympic sporting tradition. 

I personally, as a Catholic, found it deeply offensive. I usually follow the Olympic Games, recognising and enthusing about the achievements of the participants. Not this time, having seen that, which obviously carries the blessing of the organisers, I couldn't care less!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

They knew exactly what they were doing, set out deliberately to do so and now mutter contrived denials and obviously insincere apologies for any offence caused.

They deliberately presented a tableaux which set out to mock the "last supper", a central tenet of the Christian (and particularly the Catholic faith); a faith which is strongly represented in France.

This tableaux had at best a very tenuous connection with olympic sporting tradition. 

I personally, as a Catholic, found it deeply offensive. I usually follow the Olympic Games, recognising and enthusing about the achievements of the participants. Not this time, having seen that, which obviously carries the blessing of the organisers, I couldn't care less!

Mocking religion is good I think, but even this was not ment to be a mocking ceromony, it was bad taste and wrong audience. I have a few diciplines I want to follow, so if not for the IOC which I despice, I do it for the sport and individuals who deserves to shine

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

The whole idea of good art is to challenge. Great art happens when artists challenge the accepted norms. This is particularly true of visual art. 

I think that only started when talentless artists took over all the art departments. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, bubblegum said:
Full story:

I’m about to step on some toes in regard to the Opening Ceremony at the Paris Olympics.
The headless woman was Marie Antoinette. She ruled over France and was found guilty of treason, conspiracy, and stealing from the country.
Sound familiar?
Also, it was not the Last Supper. It was a depiction of an ancient Greek Bacchanal… because, you know, the Olympics are ancient and Greek. Surprise!
And if you didn’t know, a Bacchanalia is an uncontrollably promiscuous, extravagant, and loud party. The parties often spanned several days which honored the god of wine, Bacchus (the blue guy covered in grape vine). He is also known as Dionysus, the Greek god of fertility, later known as the god of wine and pleasure.
And finally, it was not Death on a pale horse. It was Sequana, Goddess of the Seine, the River in which the boat precession took place. She was meant to be the representation of the Olympic spirit and of Sequana.
If some of you weren’t so busy trying to end the Dept. of Education, you might know this.
Loosen the clutch on your pearls.
Yours truly,
Lady Francis

Nice interpretation, well perhaps yours is a voice of reason in the wilderness of delusion. What you're saying sounds reasonable and it certainly doesn't surprise me that many of us, and the media would all jump to conclusions, considering how overheated the current environment is. 

That was actually my first impression, considering that there are 17 people at a very long table. Initially I argued that there was no comparison to the Last Supper. Then I, like most others got swept up in the hype. 

So thanks for that, knowing how dumbed down the world has become, perhaps they should have put a disclaimer in there somewhere, prior to showing it. That would have been funny and taken the wind out of many sails. 

5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I think that only started when talentless artists took over all the art departments. 

Yeah there might be something to that, or talentless teachers with very poor taste. I've always considered a great artist to be a combination of a conceptual genius and a technical master. You don't see too much of that these days. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not particularly interested in the Olympics but I did watch the opening ceremony. I thought it was pretty lame. Didn't understand the Last Supper scene at all, or its relevance to a sporting event.

I actually visited Paris last year (first time for about ten years) and found it utterly dismal.  I thought London had declined but apart from a few tourist areas Paris is dirty and threatening. Extortionate pricing. Many side alleys smelt like a public toilet. Did not feel like a 'First World' capital at all.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, connda said:

There is an Olympics? Wake me up for the Winter Olympics or when the Russians compete under their own flag and the games aren't a politicized circle-jerk manufactured solely by the West.

I don't know if I'm alone in feeling this way, but I'm really getting a kick out of seeing the Russians ostracized from contemporary society, and the Olympics. They certainly deserve it. What has Putin done lately to make the world a better place? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Yeah there might be something to that, or talentless teachers with very poor taste. I've always considered a great artist to be a combination of a conceptual genius and a technical master. You don't see too much of that these days. 

This is nothing new though. Degas complained about young artists willing to starve for their art but not willing to learn how to draw properly. 

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

The "Full Story" you posted above showed that the whole thing was political. 

You are only against politics you disagree with. 

The full story is a bit of general knowledge that you don't seem to care about. Education is a wonderful thing. Try it

• Thumbs Up 1

Frankly, I don't see what's original in mocking religion in France., I.e. Charlie has been doing it for decades. It shows a lack of real imagination, as in most of the ceremony.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, bubblegum said:

The full story is a bit of general knowledge that you don't seem to care about. Education is a wonderful thing. Try it

Sorry teacher

1 hour ago, Baht Simpson said:

The whole idea of good art is to challenge. Great art happens when artists challenge the accepted norms. This is particularly true of visual art. 

The trite babble we hear from talentless failures who have no useful skill other than drawing pictures or jumbling garbage together to satisfy their own ego needs or issues.

Michaelangelos Pieta challanges no one and no accepted norms. Nor does the Mona Lisa or the Sistine Chapel. It CAN challenge (Hogarth, Bosch) but it doesnt need to. Talent is required that can stand the test of time. My tossing some faeces and 9mm rounds into a crystal decanter and calling it "The Soul of the Left" might challenge some, but it isnt art no matter how much I prance and preen and get praised by Breitbart

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I looked into this.

It had nothing to do with the last supper. It was a runway on a bridge representing the Parisian fashion industry and the people sitting were watching that not eating.

But I get it.

Reactionary anti LGBTQ bigots are so easily triggered.

Naw reactionary LGBTQFCDTHYUY++++++++ "bigots" are just tired of having some perverted lifestyle tossed into their face by political activists. 

27 minutes ago, candide said:

Frankly, I don't see what's original in mocking religion in France., I.e. Charlie has been doing it for decades. It shows a lack of real imagination, as in most of the ceremony.

Your lot chopped off priests heads, looted churches, framed Dreyfus and sent FRENCH children of a different religion to Auschwitz.  The Olympic Show is just another example of the Jacobins trying to savage traditional Western Values.

Edited by Yagoda

1 hour ago, HauptmannUK said:

I'm not particularly interested in the Olympics but I did watch the opening ceremony. I thought it was pretty lame. Didn't understand the Last Supper scene at all, or its relevance to a sporting event.

I actually visited Paris last year (first time for about ten years) and found it utterly dismal.  I thought London had declined but apart from a few tourist areas Paris is dirty and threatening. Extortionate pricing. Many side alleys smelt like a public toilet. Did not feel like a 'First World' capital at all.

Migrants. I felt the same way in Frankfurt.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

Your lot chopped off priests heads, looted churches, framed Dreyfus and sent FRENCH children of a different religion to Auschwitz.  The Olympic Show is just another example of the Jacobins trying to savage traditional Western Values.

Ridiculous attempt at trolling, as usual... 😀

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, candide said:

Ridiculous attempt at trolling, as usual... 😀

I dont understand how an accurate comment could be a troll.

Here, you made the comment that essentially reduced the disgusting spectacle the world saw into a "haha thats what the French do", like its nothing.

I then pointed out that it is indeed something. Do you deny the truth of the examples I gave? 

1 minute ago, Yagoda said:

Here, you made the comment that essentially reduced the disgusting spectacle the world saw into a "haha thats what the French do", like its nothing.

I then pointed out that it is indeed something. Do you deny the truth of the examples I gave? 

They call everyone a troll when they lose their position. 

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

I did not say ha ha that's what the French do. I said it's a lack of originality. Quite boring indeed.

At least, when Charlie is mocking religion, it's usually funny.

Edited by candide