Olympics Organizers Sorry for Controversial Last Supper Performance at Opening Ceremonies

Social Media

image.png.a38bbcb9fb7cddd8fcd7dbc233a0b765.png

The organizers of the Paris Olympics have issued an apology following a contentious performance during Friday’s Opening Ceremonies, which featured a reinterpretation of Leonardo da Vinci’s “The Last Supper.” The tableau, which included a woman in the role of Jesus, drag queens, and gay icons as disciples, alongside a scantily clad man portraying Dionysus, the Greek god of revelry, has sparked significant backlash.

The performance drew sharp criticism from various quarters, including religious leaders and conservative politicians. Church leaders and some political figures condemned the act, perceiving it as a perversion of the biblical scene that recounts the eve of Jesus’ trial and crucifixion. House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) expressed his outrage, describing the performance as a “mockery [that] was shocking and insulting to Christian people around the world.” In response, a U.S. telecommunications firm, C Spire, announced it would be pulling its advertising from the Summer Games. The French Conference of Catholic Bishops also voiced their objection to the performance.

Global Outrage Over Paris Olympics Ceremony Mockery of Christianity With 'Last  Supper' Parody Featuring Drag Queens – The Zimbabwe Mail

In the Gospel accounts of the Last Supper, Jesus shares bread and wine with his disciples and instructs them to eat and drink in his memory, a ritual that forms the basis for the Eucharist, or Communion, in Christian worship. The depiction in the Opening Ceremonies, however, deviated significantly from this traditional portrayal, leading to accusations of disrespect and insensitivity.

Addressing the controversy, Anne Descamps, a spokeswoman for the Paris Olympics, issued an apology during the Games’ daily news conference on Sunday. “Clearly there was never an intention to show disrespect to any religious group,” she stated. “If people have taken any offense we are, of course, really, really sorry.”

Thomas Jolly, the Opening Ceremonies choreographer, defended the performance on the Paris-based BFM network on Sunday. According to France 24, Jolly explained, “The idea was to do a big pagan party linked to the gods of Olympus. You’ll never find in my work any desire to mock or denigrate anyone.” However, organizers admitted on Sunday that Jolly did draw inspiration from Leonardo da Vinci’s famous painting to create the setting.

In a statement to The Wrap, Paris 2024 said, “[Jolly] is not the first artist to make a reference to what is a world-famous work of art. From Andy Warhol to ‘The Simpsons,’ many have done it before him.” The statement highlighted that while the artistic interpretation aimed to offer a fresh perspective, it was not meant to offend or belittle any religious beliefs.

Credit: W.P. 2024-07-30

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

Whilst many have criticized this for mocking the Christians, that's all that has happened, words flying around.

Can you imagine if they had mocked Islam, instead of words flying around, it would have been bullets. Remember Charlie Hebdo  and the cartoons and what happened?

And now that we know it was mocking an orgy with Dyonisos, bottles will fly around! 😅

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

Whilst many have criticized this for mocking the Christians, that's all that has happened, words flying around.

Can you imagine if they had mocked Islam, instead of words flying around, it would have been bullets. Remember Charlie Hebdo  and the cartoons and what happened?

Not content with the Christian faux outrage over the representation of a pagan festival, you engage in imagining alternatives causes for outrage.

You’ll never slate this thirst, it’s all of your own making.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Berkshire said:

The thing is, this wasn't even about the Last Supper or Christianity.  It seems some Christians want to believe everything revolves around them.

[But the opening ceremony’s artistic director, Thomas Jolly, has insisted that the scene is not a reference at all to the Last Supper.

Rather, the performance is a nod to a pagan celebration featuring Dionysus, the Greek god of fertility, wine and revelry.]

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/did-the-olympics-mock-the-last-supper-explaining-dionysus-and-why-christians-are-angry/ar-BB1qQ0as?cvid=ce7b1f0174e2436cf1ad92a85e608f77&ei=21

"However, organizers admitted on Sunday that Jolly did draw inspiration from Leonardo da Vinci’s famous painting to create the setting".

Intentional and disrespectful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Social Media said:

The organizers of the Paris Olympics have issued an apology

They can take their meaningless apology and shove up their yingyang for all I care.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A ceremony in vulgar taste. The modern fetish for transsexuals and gay needs driving back into the bedroom in my opinion. Do what you like in the bedroom but not on my TV or in my newspaper. The Last Supper is a simply a rip-off from a Bunuel movie, The Exterminating Angel. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

absolutely, totally agree. using the olympic games, which supposed to be about sports, to push any agenda is simply wrong. when they first started, wars stopped in honor of the sports. a sham and a shame. this is no place for gay pride

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, retarius said:

A ceremony in vulgar taste. The modern fetish for transsexuals and gay needs driving back into the bedroom in my opinion. Do what you like in the bedroom but not on my TV or in my newspaper. The Last Supper is a simply a rip-off from a Bunuel movie, The Exterminating Angel. 

They were engaging in something that belongs in the bedroom?

I missed that.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, thailand49 said:

It always seem sorry after the fact!

as is often said, 'better to ask for forgiveness than permission'.

the jack ass who produced this is getting his 15 minutes of fame. i hope it is in an oven

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1