Vaping troubles: British tourists warned of costly holiday mistake

15 minutes ago, cowellandrew said:

What about Australian,usa Mozambique tourists!

I was sat on a bar stool in pattaya and a polite Asian could be thai sold me vape!

😂😓😁😁😓😂😂

Are you sure you was sat? You was'nt stood by any chance?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Why only British tourists ?   do other countries not use vapes and what does it mean by "possessing a vape for commercial purposes"?

I'm sure the usual w@nk3rs will try to come up with a smart ass answer to my first question,  bring it on 

I’ve seen lots of Thai guys going outside the gym to smoke vapes when I was there.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

The reason why it just states British tourists is because its from a report from a British newspaper and they focus on British people 

Thankfully you worked it out! Some not so clever members did'nt quite get it! :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Tourists simply don't appreciate the intense concern the Thai authorities have regarding their health and wellbeing.

They should be grateful.

Thai should better start with taking care of Thai instead of temporarily visitors....see the mote in someones eye?

2 hours ago, andyman57 said:

I see thais everyday using vapes and there for sale everywhere 

In the smoking areas outside buildings ~ half the smokers are vaping.

And the sidewalk/night markets are awash with vape devices and juice.

Most of the clubbers have a vape dangling on a lanyard. 

Did I mention online sales?

The "government" (& police) don't care to enforce this ban, maybe occasionally there is a raid/seizure but that's all for show.

• Agree 1

Only if you are a foreigner when we speak of Thailand.  Thais everywhere do it in public it is sold in public and all over the internet go to any Thai club, restaurant, it is done!  BUT if you white or they don't like be warned you will be extorted this is part of their enforcement culture. 🤔

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thai laws are seriously flawed, smoking cannabis is ok but vaping is strictly illegal. Before members have a go at me, I've never used either. People should have the choice. It's their body so let them decide as long as it doesn't interfere with others. Muslims may find Buddhism offensive so should that be banned too?

1 minute ago, Mason45 said:

Thai laws are seriously flawed, smoking cannabis is ok but vaping is strictly illegal. Before members have a go at me, I've never used either. People should have the choice. It's their body so let them decide as long as it doesn't interfere with others. Muslims may find Buddhism offensive so should that be banned too?

Maybe if vaping was Anutins idea it would be a flourishing legal business in Thailand.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Polaky said:

Who smokes in 2024?, ok back in the 50's everyone,  but now they know the dangers of that garbage going into their lungs.

The mind boggles, doesn't it?

I can [sort of] understand someone over 60ish still smoking, but seeing those biology experiments at school in the early 80s, with smoke being drawn into the big glass jars packed cotton wool, should've been more that adequate to convince anyone with more than half a brain cell what a ridiculous idea any kind of smoking is!

Edited by sabai-dee-man
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

nice of him to advise about an easy way to circumnavigate the rules

and as an additional ploy    "  and pack them in carry-on luggage .”  that will certainly fool them pesky customs fools eh?

But before the ardent vapers get too excited he adds ,," authorities in Thailand are set to take decisive action against the illegal use of e-cigarettes"

so all in all a little confusing

What “new rules”?  And the advice is to “bring your own” only when/where this is permitted.. 

3 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Well here is is your answer and it’s not smart arse.

The first line should should give you the clue if the article was written here they wouldn’t say “British tourists heading abroad” this site takes articles from elsewhere and this article was most likely from a publication in the UK.

I and it even tells us which publication! — The Mirror. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, arick said:

Virgin money used to offer annual medical travel insurance for very small price per year.

Isn't 'travel' insurance automatic when you use a credit card.....or are you referring insurance whilst actually on holiday? 

3 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Only these laws for foreigners as I have seen many Thai teachers, military, government officials and others vaping too... Even on the markets a lot  of choice so why chase the foreigner and not the local people??

Indeed, in fact here in Chiang Mai there are many vape shops openly selling e-juice and vapes.

Igorning the plain and simple fact that vaping provides nicotine delivery to nicotine addits with a fraction of the health risks, I wonder if the govt. has considered the negative impact on tourist numbers their vape policy is obviously having?

I have UK mates for whom the dractonian vape laws here have been the 'straw that broke the camels back' when selecting a holiday destination. There are plenty of holiday destinations of a similar budget and quality to Thailand that do not use protecting children as an excuse to protect their tobacco monopoly...

And the same country's GDP depends heavily on tourism, really? While I do not smoke nor vape, the sheer statement of  facing fines of up to 30,000 baht or, in severe cases, a prison sentence of up to 10 years, is self-explanatory. 

If the authorities are too stupid to tax this stuff like everything else (booze, tobacco and luxury items spring to mind) ............  Levy normal taxes on it and the subject becomes obsolete as then you have a justifiable explanation for fines in this fine country 😉 

6 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Why only British tourists ?   do other countries not use vapes and what does it mean by "possessing a vape for commercial purposes"?

I'm sure the usual w@nk3rs will try to come up with a smart ass answer to my first question,  bring it on 

Most obnoxious, showing off , who knows what goes thru their heads