Buriram Woman Loses 530,000 Baht in Baffling Bank Transfers

webfact

bank-a.webp

Buriram Woman Loses 530,000 Baht in Baffling Bank Transfers. Picture courtesy: The Bangkok Times

A woman from Buriram is distressed after discovering 530,000 baht was mysteriously transferred from her bank account to accounts in China and Vietnam. Despite her insistence that she did not authorise the transactions, two banks are refusing to take responsibility, claiming the transactions appeared legitimate.

Benjawan Supanam, a 35-year-old resident, reported to her banks that a substantial sum had vanished from her account. The two banks, Thanachart Bank and Krungthai Bank, suggested she herself made the transactions. Benjawan firmly denies this claim.

Benjawan's husband, who works in South Korea, had been sending her money initially into her mother's Bangkok Bank account, which later changed to direct deposits into Benjawan’s Krungthai account, with recent deposits increasing to 80,000 baht monthly. She transferred the surplus to her Thanachart account, amassing savings of 560,000 baht for a new house. 

The trouble began on July 21 when Benjawan agreed to lend her aunt 200,000 baht. Upon checking her holdings the following day, she was shocked to find only 30,000 baht left instead of the 560,000 baht she had saved.

According to bank records, the money had been transferred using her mobile banking app to Krungthai Bank and then forwarded in increments of 10,000 to 30,000 baht to China and Vietnam.

Both banks suggested someone in Benjawan's household might have made the transfers, a claim she disputed, as her parents and young children are not tech-savvy and incapable of such actions. Suspicious that a serious fraud had occurred, the banks warned her against filing a police report, implying she could face legal repercussions for false allegations.

Despite her distress, Benjawan obtained transaction records and subsequently lodged a complaint with Nong Song Hong Police Station. The police also advised her to reconsider filing the report to avoid potential legal complications.

Trying to find some clarity, Benjawan received a cryptic phone call on July 22, claiming that the missing funds were due to a bank error and promising a refund by the next day. However, the money never reappeared.

Benjawan remains in a state of extreme anxiety, urging the banks to re-examine the transactions or appeal for assistance from relevant authorities to resolve her financial nightmare. She is especially concerned since she typically receives transaction notifications through her banking app, making the situation even more perplexing.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-01

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 9

Some time ago, I had a number of strange BKK Bank ATM withdrawals.  I checked the locations with the bank and they were from places I had never been, like Sattahip.  The manager shrugged and said they must have been done by my girlfriend who doesn't drive and was with me 24 hours a day during the scam period.  Only the bank and I knew my PIN.

On Tuesday of this week I went in to see my bankers about a problem with my Debit card not being accepted by a hotel.  I waited the customary 70 minutes whilst they did something and all was well.  Nobody could tell me what the problem was.

Edited by mikebell
extra thoughts.
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jippytum said:

If the banks and the police advise against this woman making a formal complaint what chance does she have to expose these scammers and recoup her loss. 

she needs to broker a deal with the police. On results only. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

WTF?

The banks covering their Rsses against bad publicity?

In part, the reason I use the monthly transfer method for immigration requirements. Limits the potential economic damage.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Denim said:

No confidence in their banking apps either. 

My bank abolished online banking and said that customers should use their banking app. I will never do that. Fortunately I had already chosen to get a text message if there are withdrawals exceeding 5000 Baht. Of course that was set up through online banking. This is for a passbook account.

If customers want to get such a text message service, can they set this up at their bank branch, or is the only option using the banking app? The latter would be bad, since once a banking app has been downloaded, that might open the customer up to illicit withdrawals, even if he/she deleted the app right after setting up the text message service. That's my fear, anyway.

17 minutes ago, ronster said:

Her husband seems well paid if he's sending 80000 a month to her. 

What was the aunt wanting the money for and how did she give it to her or did she not get the chance to give it to her aunt ?

Seems banks here just deny everything and say find out yourself to most problems.

Thai workers in Korea make minimum of 40-50,000 plus per month, if you put in overtime - it can easily reach 80k or more.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Bangkok Bank bank transfers were down yesterday so I spent an hour and a half on the phone with them today they said they're going to be updating all the transfers today up to 2:00 p.m..

4 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:
8 hours ago, webfact said:

the banks warned her against filing a police report, implying she could face legal repercussions for false allegations.

WTF?

The banks covering their Rsses against bad publicity?

Why shouldn't they if they prove not to be at fault?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, BE88 said:

No confidence in Thailand's banks.

A international bank transfer was made recently to Thai bank but never received it and in response they promised to do a search that could take three months.

I have strong doubts that I will ever receive the amount sent to me.

If your Thai bank did not receive it, the chances are that the remitting non-Thai "international" bank was at fault, surely?  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, fallup88 said:

Thai workers in Korea make minimum of 40-50,000 plus per month, if you put in overtime - it can easily reach 80k or more.

So not eating , paying for flight , getting the job or accommodation. 🤔

• Confused 2