Buriram Woman Loses 530,000 Baht in Baffling Bank Transfers

webfact

I and finding it hard to trust Thai Banks . I had a Bank account with a little under 3000 baht in it pre-covid, post covid made a visit to Thailand trying to draw down from those Monies only to be told there was no money in it the bank will clearly shows sufficient balance to cover any fees for quite a number of years. The bank just seemed nonplussed about the dilemma and couldn't explain where the money went. Of course my story is nothing in comparison to the published article but can tie Banks be trustworthy?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ronster said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Got anything to back up that claim?

Several complaint stories but I will let you look them up . Try Google 👍🙄

I was pretty sure that you had nothing...I was right.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

This is precisely why I have all my money locked away in a 6ft by 3ft reinforced steel safe.

bob.

A guy I met years ago who didn't trust banks told me the exact same thing, almost word for word, I can still remember him holding court in a bar, telling everybody in his thick Irish accent how " he wasn't stupid "  and  "all his money  was kept in a safe"  but the next thing he said  proved to be his undoing, a basic mistake that sealed his fate , and he didn't have to wait long,   " The only people who know the combination are me and the wife"

He disappeared shortly after she cleaned him out     

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

A guy I met years ago who didn't trust banks told me the exact same thing, almost word for word, I can still remember him holding court in a bar, telling everybody in his thick Irish accent how " he wasn't stupid "  and  "all his money  was kept in a safe"  but the next thing he said  proved to be his undoing, a basic mistake that sealed his fate , and he didn't have to wait long,   " The only people who know the combination are me and the wife"

He disappeared shortly after she cleaned him out     

Mrs. Smith hasn't got a clue what the combination to my safe is.

I change it every 3 months and NEVER write it down.

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, BE88 said:

No confidence in Thailand's banks.

A international bank transfer was made recently to Thai bank but never received it and in response they promised to do a search that could take three months.

I have strong doubts that I will ever receive the amount sent to me.

comparing the front end and user experience of my k bank web account and app (now deleted) to my bank back home's web account and app the difference is quite shocking. the former appearing as if they were designed as part of an student's A level project. and, it got me thinking if the back end and security are as badly designed as the front end then i need to be really careful. therefore, i manage the risk by keeping most of my money back home.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Sandboxer said:

Reading sh_t like this is really the last straw for me.

From now on I will set my transfer limits in the apps to ZERO and just turn on again whenever needed, be that at Big C, a bar, or paying for ticket via Prompt.

A bit annoying but really only takes 30 seconds to do, and I get a text notification every time I increase/decrease this limit so that can serve as proof of fraud if funds ever "disappear" between these times.

Lets hope we don't get stuck behind you at the checkout.         Proof of fraud means nothing if the banks don't agree.   I seriously think cash is safer. There are obviously serious security issues with digital / online transactions and whilst the  potential for problems may be rare, it is  and always will be a genuine threat  , as  hackers are pretty much one step ahead of the so called tech experts.   Some seem to relish the thought of having a cashless system imposed on us !  Not for me thanks

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, bob smith said:

Mrs. Smith hasn't got a clue what the combination to my safe is.

I change it every 3 months and NEVER write it down.

bob.

Very wise indeed, and a shining example of taking responsibility ,  which many would be well advised to follow

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Lets hope we don't get stuck behind you at the checkout. 

3 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Some seem to relish the thought of having a cashless system imposed on us ! 

I like convenience and support any technology that makes life in this place easier. But yea, agree, I'll prolly start carrying more cash again as well.....

Seeya at the checkout.

8 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Proof of fraud means nothing if the banks don't agree.

Well it's better to have it than not when the POS bank tries to lay the burden of proof on the customer.

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why did you give bank staff your PIN?

Your pin created by you are stored in the database and anybody like data administrator or system engineer attached to that job can easily access your pin if they wanted to. Their problem is that there is a log that tracks all access to the PIN database so they would know who has the data.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, mikebell said:

...   Only the bank and I knew my PIN.   ...  

The bank doesn't know your pin number (ATM). And the password for online banking is stored on the bank computer, but is secured in such a way that bank employees cannot read it.

Scams go on and on.

2 weeks ago, got a phone call. An automated message ! was played about a transaction to be made, from Paypall.

Choices were stop transaction or continu. I choose the third option, break connection.

Called Paypall and indeed they were aware of this scam. So be aware if you get such a phone call.

Such calls could go worldwide, it is just digital again.

My first time ever weird call. Was just a matter of time?

Almost on a daily base, I get emails about packages for me and even didnt order anything.

They hope you ordered something and respond to that mail. 

Paypall asked for phone number which called, and weird they called indeed with a number shown.

So looks like phone number is probably relayed and they (cyber police) cant find anything?

Why would number be shown then, scammers must be very confident, it cant be tracked down.

You read about Thailand more about these scams with banks. Of course they say, you did wrong.

Even employee's arent trustworthy, I red in AN.

Incredible they can blackmail you for filing a complaint at police. Really sad for the woman.

It seems, you better dont do any business digital and keep your money in a safe at home.

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Suspicious that a serious fraud had occurred, the banks warned her against filing a police report, implying she could face legal repercussions for false allegations.

That is simply extreme idiocy on the part of the banks, and an attempt to use the spectacularly cowardly defamation laws against an honest customer. The banks should be prosecuted for threatening this lady with legal repercussions. The bank should be held to account, however we all know that they're protected at the highest level, so that's just not going to happen. 

We need to use defamation every opportunity we get, sometimes shame and  humiliation are the only tools that work here. Doing the right thing is rarely part of a bank's repertoire, so they need to be forced into behaving correctly.

Never, ever cower in the face of defamation threats. Face them head on and take the bull by the horns. 

I read it more that given that current evidence that it most likely she made the transfers herself or someone in her house or family had done so. So they were warning her that once she makes an official report about fraud it will be taken very seriously and if indeed she or one of her family had made the transfers if an official report had been made they would be charged accordingly.  

1 hour ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Scams go on and on.

2 weeks ago, got a phone call. An automated message ! was played about a transaction to be made, from Paypall.

Choices were stop transaction or continu. I choose the third option, break connection.

Called Paypall and indeed they were aware of this scam. So be aware if you get such a phone call.

Almost on a daily base, I get emails about packages for me and even didnt order anything.

Paypall asked for phone number which called, and weird they called indeed with a number shown.

So looks like phone number is probably relayed and they (cyber police) cant find anything?

Why would number be shown then, scammers must be very confident, it cant be tracked down.

You read about Thailand more about these scams with banks. Of course they say, you did wrong.

Incredible they can blackmail you for filing a complaint at police. Really sad for the woman.

It seems, you better dont do any business digital and keep your money in a safe at home.

Scams go on and on.

indeed they do, which is why reputable financial institutions work to hard to protect their customers, but often the problem is the customer themselves being naive or just doing a dumb thing. i have to continually remind my elderly mother to be on her guard, it's a sad indictment of the modern world. i'm pretty sensible and switched on and have never been scammed, neither have any of my friends or my mother, despite ongoing attempts. stay on your guard and you'll be fine.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Ctkong said:

Your pin created by you are stored in the database and anybody like data administrator or system engineer attached to that job can easily access your pin if they wanted to. Their problem is that there is a log that tracks all access to the PIN database so they would know who has the data.

I'm sure  data access logs,   just like cctv cameras , can malfunction at amazingly opportune moments, purely by coincidence.  On the other hand even if they did have the info, who's to say they would tell you 

Not wishing to tempt fate  so currently touching wood , but so far I have only suffered two very minor issues, where unauthorised withdrawals were made from my account. it was my UK current account and both times money was taken via direct debits, around £50 each.  The phone in procedure is the usual pain but once I got through and answered their questions it was sorted out within a few days. 

Worryingly the guy I spoke to told me that there is nothing that can be done to stop a fraudulent direct debit being set up by somebody he tried , unsuccessfully, to put my mind at rest by quoting the "direct debit guarantee" that covers such events but even though there have been no further issues I remain somewhat concerned.

Its very easy these days, for organizations like banks to become very difficult to contact if they wish,  they can literally just blank you, and there's pretty much nothing you can do about it.  I don't trust them in the UK and I don't trust them here unfortunately they are a necessary evil    

So sad the police advised her against filing a claim.  They should never say that to anyone.   That's like KFC last saying you are not hungry no need food. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Sandboxer said:

Well it's better to have it than not when the POS bank tries to lay the burden of proof on the customer.

True i guess, but it inspires about as much confidence as their scheme to protect ones money if the bank goes pop 

4 minutes ago, Elkski said:

So sad the police advised her against filing a claim.  They should never say that to anyone.   That's like KFC last saying you are not hungry no need food. 

They may have been giving sound advice along the lines of 

" you can make a fuss if you want, and if you really  insist,  we will proceed with the investigation . BUT be warned, banks are powerful wealthy institutions that don't take kindly to such matters, they will make life difficult for you and we won't be able to help you" 

10 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Scams are hitting all of the banks. Not just that one.

It is all down to the app developers not knowing how to write security systems and not knowing how to test the apps properly.

Not only Thailand, but everywhere we are seeing apps being thrown out to the public and then having problems. ie not tested.

I worked in software development for over 30 years and I am horrified by the systems that I see these day.

No apps or even wifi on my phone. It's a telephone for goodness sake. Calls, SMS and photos only.

"No apps or even wifi on my phone. It's a telephone for goodness sake. Calls, SMS and photos only."

Correct! Somebody scammed my credit card a while ago in a hotel in Bangkok. Although I named the hotel, I heard nothing from the Credit Card Company, but they did refund the amounts, one of which was a top up on a mobile phone, and the other for a "ringtone" on the same phone. Paying for a "ringtone"? Some people are just plain daft! 🙂

(The best mobile phone I ever has was an old N***a that did phone calls only - which is what a phone is for and cost about 800 baht) Also never got any "unsolicited" calls!)

Edited by sambum

3 hours ago, Ctkong said:

Cobblers.   

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Scams go on and on.

Whenever I receive a call from an unknown number I let it ring a few times. After 4 or 5 rings a message in red will pop up on my screen "suspected spam/scam call"

Most Spam messages don't even reach my inbox, and I get a pop up, suspected spam message blocked. I then go to the spam folder and block them

Edited by CallumWK

Approximately 20yrs ago a cashier in a Thai bank was found to have withdrawn hundreds of thousands from different people’s bank a/c’s. His family repaid the money into the bank and he kept his job.

It’s a know fact that a number of employees of U.K. banks have also been found to have been dishonest,some have been prosecuted while others were simple just sacked so as not to embarrass the bank.

Nightmare.

It should be easy to find what and whose account the money was transferred to.

Probably won't ever hear about  the outcome.  Whoever reports on it might be sued for defamation.  

• Like 1