Thai Government Lottery

passiflora

4 hours ago, kawikasudo said:

When I win a lottery I have a Thai collect the winnings. They give a farang less. I don’t know any farangs that try and collect the winnings themselves. 

I have won and collected from a street shop. The money the deduct is tax 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Jeffrey346 said:

I have won and collected from a street shop. The money the deduct is tax 

The tax is 1 baht for every 200 baht of winnings, or 10 baht out of 2000, in this case the merchant takes 50 baht. 

In 13 years of doing the lottery here I have never won from government lottery or Mickey mouse one. Spending 1000-1500 a time on tickets etc.

Although the prizes here are bigger than UK or euro millions it's still highly likely you will never win apart from last 2-3 digits . Unless you win euro millions jackpot or second prize you get practically nothing. I seen results a few weeks ago and 4 numbers and 2 stars got about £1000 , 5 numbers and 1 star got about £180000 !! 🫤

Here now when buying multiple tickets with same number they increase prices. 220 for 2 same and seen even 750 for 5 tickets same . Despite this seemingly being illegal I see them advertised like this in writing at stalls across from police stations, outside malls etc .

It is normal for them to charge you a 2 or 3 percent commission when cashing a ticket.  Alternatively you can take the ticket to the lottery office in Bangkok and cash it with no fee.

Also I have heard that GSB, Om Sin, will cash tickets for you if you have an account with them.

Also be aware that some lottery tickets now have a charitable donation(charge) on them.  So if you win that amount is subtracted from the winnings too.

15 hours ago, passiflora said:

When I want to collect my winnings, the owner of the local shop tells me 1940 bahts. I don't agree, I won 2000.

She replies me yes but I take my commission

So next time take the ticket yourself to the government office, problem solved, but you will still pay 1 baht for every 200 baht of winnings

Did you really think the shopkeeper should do it for you without any charge?

In Khonkaen the seller will typically charge 1.5 or 2% to cash in a ticket, up to you to shop around.