Apple Withdraws Ad Amid Thai Backlash, Extends Apology

apologies are only given to thai news outlet and influencers only, nowhere on their website, they probably hope to brush this under the carpet without people outside Thailand noticing too much 

• Agree 1

Underdeveloped? Where are the pavements for people to walk on unobstructed? Where are the marked pedestrian crossings with lights? Where are the roundabouts, flyovers or light controlled junctions to obviate the need for dangerous U turns? Why do the utility wires still hang from lamppost to lamppost?

I have only mentioned roads without going into the other characteristics. Government money only seems to be spent to benefit the rich, who are the ones who don’t need it.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, renaissanc said:

The idea was all right, but it was implemented and portrayed poorly. 

Yes, stupid Americans who generally have no clue about anything outside of their country. 
They love to talk and tell people what they think they know but don’t ever listen.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

They need to have a look at their own movies particulalry the comedies. 

I have always liked how they make fun of their way of life and can laugh at the differences in themselves, a bit like Australians (before it became a crime). 

Anyway I look forward to seeing them publicly destroy their iphones and tablets in an organised show of protest.  

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, tgw said:

by the way, does anyone have a copy of the film, or knows where to download it ?

Google: Instagram Work Editorial The Underdogs Are Back OOO

and you should find the full video.  I can’t seem to remember how to link it.

1 hour ago, tgw said:

correct, at least not in the same context as shown in the film.
sure, you can find some of the stuff if you go out of your way to find it, but in a normal visit ? no.

It's actually all pretty standard stuff, I just don't think some Thai people want a certain side of Thailand shown to the world. They'd rather they only showed the higher quality stuff that only a few people enjoy.

Its not going to make a very interesting advert to show a middle class business man going to work on the BTS and then shopping in a nice mall.

What do you think you don't see every day in Thailand? I thought they used a bit of artistic licence with the immigration queue, but that was about it.

23 minutes ago, damian said:

They need to have a look at their own movies particulalry the comedies. 

I guess they don't mind that, as they probably feel that they're laughing and looking down on cultural stereotypes, but when it's the world laughing at them and they think the world will see them like that, suddenly they don't like it.

Kind of "it's OK for us to ridicule the lower classes, but we don't want the world to think they represent us".

• Agree 1

If the Thais would have kept their mouth shut, the advertisement would have not reached 10% of today's figure. 

Thais still have to understand that there is no negative advertisement; obviously all those who did not even know about this advertisement now will actively scan Youtube, TikTok and whatever other platforms there are. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Tourism Committee to Summon Apple Over Controversial Ad

Naark Rojanasuvan

ebe6771c705a35e4052b234a42ee9033.webp

The Tourism Committee is set to summon Apple for a hearing next week following the release of a controversial advertisement that has sparked backlash in Thailand. 

The advertisement, part of Apple's "Underdogs" series, has been widely criticized on social media for its portrayal of Thailand's infrastructure and safety standards, which many feel damages Thailand's reputation, particularly in the tourism sector.

Sastra Sripan, MP for Songkhla and spokesperson for the committee, expressed concerns over the ad's negative portrayal of Thailand, depicting it as outdated and unsafe. This portrayal contradicts the government's efforts to promote the country's image through Soft Power initiatives.

The committee plans to invite officials from relevant agencies, including the Ministry of Tourism and Sports, the Tourism Authority of Thailand, and Apple Thailand's managing director, to address these concerns. The MP also mentioned that continued dissatisfaction could lead to a call for boycotting Apple products in favor of other brands.

The move aims to address public grievances and ensure that Thailand's image is accurately represented to support the tourism industry's growth and development. The committee will seek to understand Apple's perspective and work towards a resolution that aligns with Thailand's promotional efforts and national interests.

The hearing will also serve as a platform for discussing measures to prevent similar incidents in the future and to reinforce positive portrayals of Thailand in international media.

Source: NNT 2024-08-03

-  Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

completely and utterly pathetic.

bob.

The Apple ad revealed a lot of truths about Thailand that many Thai people do not want to face, the reality is that Thailand is a third world nation with a few modern spots like Bangkok. The reality is that when you step into a taxi in Thailand you're likely to be stepping into a old Corolla instead of a Mercedes or BMW or something quite nice, that you might get in Europe. There are so many realities that were reflected in this ad, but it's always easier to deny and to deflect than to simply admit that your country is a little bit behind the curve. 

Apple simply had to bow to the disease of political correctness. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A Thai company was involved in making the movie... they could not see what they were making?? Besides that.. Thailand is still not entering the 21st century with all outdated laws, rules, cars, and the way people think.  No surely it is a mirror, but the truth hurts so maybe it is an opportunity to make changes instead of all the commotion. That will do much more harm to the tourists industry than let it go... Maybe it will attrack a lot of people to go on a vintage holiday destination

40 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

A Thai company was involved in making the movie... they could not see what they were making?? 

I think they do... That's why it's jammed pack with many Thainess thingies that are endearing and iconic (to us expats at least.) Such as this last shot in the railyard of Hua lam Phong.

hualamphong.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

It's actually all pretty standard stuff, I just don't think some Thai people want a certain side of Thailand shown to the world. They'd rather they only showed the higher quality stuff that only a few people enjoy.

Its not going to make a very interesting advert to show a middle class business man going to work on the BTS and then shopping in a nice mall.

What do you think you don't see every day in Thailand? I thought they used a bit of artistic licence with the immigration queue, but that was about it.

first, what does one have to do to arrive at a disused hall in Don Muang ?
everything in that video is the extreme.

the hotel ... can you even find a hotel in that state on agoda or booking.com ?
how many taxi drivers look like that ?
sadly, I don't have the video to make a list, but what is shown in the video is unrealistic + unflattering.

it's like taking Sasha Baron Cohen's "Borat" as a portrayal of the USA in a large brand's commercial.

Borat! Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan

Reckon they are only taking heed because of potential loss of sales, although it could be a cunning ploy to get them more noticed--purposeful contentious ad, lots of noise, revoke, new ad etc. These marketing folk (esp Apple ones) know what they're doing.

If they are genuinely remorseful, then it is a sad indication of our prissy times and the Thais that are genuinely upset should have a good look in the mirror and try to laugh at themselves more. Guess it's a sign of a growing up people. We all know the place is advancing well, but don't need to be told so every two minutes, eh what what. 🙂

3 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Underdeveloped? Where are the pavements for people to walk on unobstructed? Where are the marked pedestrian crossings with lights? Where are the roundabouts, flyovers or light controlled junctions to obviate the need for dangerous U turns? Why do the utility wires still hang from lamppost to lamppost?

I have only mentioned roads without going into the other characteristics. Government money only seems to be spent to benefit the rich, who are the ones who don’t need it.

There is that, but (besides motorways and main highways) the roads in Thailand make my 'first world country' roads look like a joke. I know where I would rather drive. Also, as soon as you get all of the above you might just end up with BORING, staid West. No thanks. Thailand is right where it should be. Careful what you wish for, dude. 🙂

This is my surprised face: 😐

Interestingly enough, the article says they consulted with a Thai firm when making the advertisement. It leaves me to wonder if that consulting firm had the blessing of the government on this project. 

The U.S. is sensitive to a history of racism in media- be it Black, Asian or Native American. So I am not surprised regarding the Apple apology- if outcries continue snowballing, future lost profits are bad for busine$$. Let us not forget this is about the money.

Regarding this advertisement, it’s not difficult to see both sides of the argument. 

3 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Yes, stupid Americans who generally have no clue about anything outside of their country. 
They love to talk and tell people what they think they know but don’t ever listen.

The libs, mostly. And they'd like the gayness in the ad. But the ad was being shown out of UK youtube, right? So it was even more effective: appealing to Brit bigotry not only against Thais but Americans as well.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

A Thai company was involved in making the movie... they could not see what they were making??

Money's money. The marketing concept came from Apple itself, and the Thai production company merely followed and embellished the script. Not their job to approve or disapprove, long as it wasn't directly insulting, merely portraying Thailand as it was decades ago.

Edited by BigStar

31 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Reckon they are only taking heed because of potential loss of sales

Of course. The elites at Apple were forced to realize that the ignorant, primitive, poor Thais weren't, after all, going to accept that bigoted, condescending treatment for the entertainment of the Western audience. This, after all that money Thais have spent on Apple products many of them can't really afford.

Force is the only way, as China has realized.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, tgw said:

sadly, I don't have the video to make a list, but what is shown in the video is unrealistic + unflattering.

Exactly. Nothing at all like what modern business travelers on expense accounts experience. In fact, a Thai company rep would have met them at the modern airport with a chauffeured company car or van. I'd be furious if I were Thai as well.

• Confused 1