Anutin Pledges Not to Run for Prime Minister If Srettha Is Impeached

dFQROr7oWzulq5Fa5KTSaUrxulfsvdUT8nEQvvzoiCsOCwMV6qDWOWsLDiFSVX080xC.webp

Anutin Charnvirakul. File photo courtesy: Thai Rath

BHUMJAITHAI LEADER Anutin Charnvirakul stated today that he will not seek the premiership if Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin is impeached. Anutin, who is also the Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister, clarified his position in response to speculation surrounding his potential rise to power.

This speculation stems from an ongoing impeachment lawsuit against Srettha. The Constitutional Court will deliver a verdict on 14th August regarding accusations that Srettha severely breached the constitution and political ethics by appointing Pichit Chuenban, a former lawyer for Pheu Thai's de facto boss Thaksin Shinawatra and a former convict, as a minister attached to the Prime Minister’s Office.

In light of these developments, Anutin stressed that he has no intention of assuming the premiership. He pointed out that Pheu Thai, as the core of the current coalition government, commands the largest number of coalition MPs. Consequently, it should be within their prerogative to nominate a replacement if Srettha is impeached.

Anutin suggested that Phumtham Wechayachai, a key figure within Pheu Thai and an influential player in coalition negotiations, would likely be tasked with finding a suitable candidate. Phumtham played a pivotal role in the formation of the Pheu Thai-led coalition government and the allocation of cabinet posts.

Potential candidates for the premiership, should Srettha be removed, include Paetongtarn Shinawatra, Thaksin's daughter and Pheu Thai leader, Pheu Thai MP Chaikasem Nitisiri, Palang Pracharath leader Prawit Wongsuwan, and Anutin himself. However, Anutin's explicit refusal to contend for the role narrows the field.

This political intrigue adds another layer of complexity to Thailand's already dynamic political landscape, with eyes now set on the upcoming court ruling and its potential repercussions.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-03

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Anutin Pledges Not to Run for Prime Minister If Srettha Is Impeached

Heard that one many times before.

What's the usual reason for running anyway? Ah yes: the People, the Country and the Partridge in the pear tree need me

I would say that's good news. But ever since the election, every PTP maneuver has been bad for expatriates anyway. I don't think Anutin could have dreamed up as much trouble for expats as Srettha has imposed.

2 hours ago, cheerz said:

And pigs fly, Anutin will be first in line at top job

Yes, just like the other Chuckle Brother Cha Cha, from the Coup "government".

22 hours ago, John Drake said:

I would say that's good news. But ever since the election, every PTP maneuver has been bad for expatriates anyway. I don't think Anutin could have dreamed up as much trouble for expats as Srettha has imposed.

Can you enlighten me please as to what Srettha has Imposed on expats so far ? it's Proposed, a lot of this pay tax nonsense is so far fear mongering. 

• Agree 1