Nostalgia for Prayut Grows as "We Miss Loong Tu" Goes Viral

2 hours ago, Suua said:

Absolutely......and this was caused by who????.....oh yes, the ones who tried to cover it all up.... AGAIN! (Asian Flu 1957, Bird flu 1997, Sars 2002)....china.

The world is in it's current economic crisis exactly because of these lying criminals....never forget that!

Yes, I quite agree - nobody among the Superpowers seems to want to lay the blame at their door (for fear of "reprisals"  - lost trade etc.)

29 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

And what have you had to pay more tax on ? do tell.

Everything you buy in the Supermarket for a start!

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, sambum said:

Everything you buy is taxed!

Always has been VAT is 7% basic food is not taxed by the way. Who has ever paid tax on say a bunch of bananas ? You said more tax so again on What ?

Edited by brianthainess
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

Not to forget no wars in bkk, airports weren't taken over and lots of infrastructure accomplished!

I didn't like Prayuth at the time he was PM - he had a few failings. For instance, he lost his temper frequently when asked the "wrong" questions by reporters, his "Bringing Happiness back to the people" broadcasts were a joke, and the way he got there in the first place was unlawful, and put in place questionable amendments to the constitution (Senators "recruited" from the Army?).

But he was better than the present "puppet", and Anutin as PM would be a disaster for farangs and the country alike.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Always has been VAT is 7% basic food is not taxed by the way. Who has ever paid tax on say a bunch of bananas ? You said more tax so again on What ?

What does VAT stand for?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sambum said:

I didn't like Prayuth at the time he was PM - he had a few failings. For instance, he lost his temper frequently when asked the "wrong" questions by reporters, his "Bringing Happiness back to the people" broadcasts were a joke, and the way he got there in the first place was unlawful, and put in place questionable amendments to the constitution (Senators "recruited" from the Army?).

But he was better than the present "puppet", and Anutin as PM would be a disaster for farangs and the country alike.  

I am still mystified as to why he and his cronies are not in jail.......it was a military coup.....just because it was 'quite' does not excuse the fact it was a coup.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

VAT is Value Added *** so everything you pay VAT on is ***ed.

Increases in Import *** and Duties will probably account for a fair proportion of the increases we are seeing on the shelves of Imported goods.

And what happened to the reduction in *** and Duties on Imported alcohol? That was few months ago and I see no reduction in prices of wine or spirits on the shelves?

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, sambum said:

VAT is Value Added *** so everything you pay VAT on is ***ed.

Increases in Import *** and Duties will probably account for a fair proportion of the increases we are seeing on the shelves of Imported goods.

And what happened to the reduction in *** and Duties on Imported alcohol? That was few months ago and I see no reduction in prices of wine or spirits on the shelves?

VAT has always been there since 1992 and it was 10% and was reduced to 7% 2020, while Prayuth was in charge.

As with the import duties absolutely nothing to do with Prayuth, that is who the OP is about.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Agree 1

I do remember when Prayuth first put in place a curfew I think 9.30pm, you could be shot on sight apparently, by 10.30pm that night my now wife had not come home, I rang her and she along with many others were at the local Karaoke, she came home after 12pm...............:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:...... TV was off air also.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, yankee99 said:

Not to forget no wars in bkk, airports weren't taken over and lots of infrastructure accomplished!

As well as stopping the ping pong bombs, pipe bombs, arson, assassinations, occupation of roads and parks, and attack on students that killed four at Rajamangala Stadium.

Yes, some here are still maligning Prayut. They are eager to get taxed on their worldwide income and happy that their hard-won retirements visas are made a mockery as every nationality except Farang get showered with free 6-month extendable visa waivers.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

VAT has always been there since 1992 and it was 10% and was reduced to 7% 2020, while Prayuth was in charge.

As with the import duties absolutely nothing to do with Prayuth, that is who the OP is about.

"As with the import duties absolutely nothing to do with Prayuth, that is who the OP is about."

"And what have you had to pay more tax on ? do tell."

You asked, I believe?

• Confused 1

False equivalency.

Prayuth was never selected by the people in a fair election because he chose the coup route to power and then refused adamantly to give up power when all his credibility was long gone. He oversaw the fake "surrender" of Thaksin and ensured that he would never spend a day behind actual bars but instead could hold court in luxury in an isolated hospital. He brokered the deal and arranged for the Old Guard to be there to take over the "elections" while ensuring that yet another young democratic party would be disenfranchised for the second time in a row. 

Thailand "misses" him just like it "misses" COVID-19. Both are plagues upon the land that brought a long time of suffering and have left traces of contagion that remain to be cleaned up.

• Sad 2

On 8/3/2024 at 12:47 PM, Guderian said:

When I was living in Nigeria under the military dictatorship of Ibrahim Babangida, I asked my right-hand Nigerian man, a very sharp chap, which was better for the country, a military or civilian government? He said that, all in all, the military were probably better for Nigeria as there were fewer generals stealing the public money than there would be civilian politicians. I had to laugh at that, though Babangida was a genuinely nasty piece of work, nothing like the genial Loong Tu.

He was genial and he was likely responsible for a very limited number of killings, but nobody knows how much money he stole, nor how much money his cronies stole. We do know one thing for sure, the army here is not exactly famous for integrity. The degree of financial malfeasance can only be estimated, as there is a total lack of investigative journalism here. We all know why. 

28 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

He was genial and he was likely responsible for a very limited number of killings, but nobody knows how much money he stole, nor how much money his cronies stole. We do know one thing for sure, the army here is not exactly famous for integrity. The degree of financial malfeasance can only be estimated, as there is a total lack of investigative journalism here. We all know why. 

I had a personal encounter with Babangida on the road between Warri and Sapele and, if I hadn't had a very savvy Nigerian with me, his guards might well have shot me!

21 minutes ago, Suua said:

Holy crap.....you said it yourself.

Perhaps you don't read the news?

It's probably the most replied to topic on this forum.

Tax on income from abroad ring any bells?

And have you had to pay any yet or anybody else Yet ?

• Confused 3

On 8/3/2024 at 6:19 PM, BE88 said:

If I have to give credit to Prayuth it is that he managed the Covid pandemic better, leaving the population freer instead of locking them up like in the West and like China and consequently a better economic strategy for Thailand.

Now the current government due to inexperience and inability has carried out a series of desperate economic actions to try to revive the economy with the result a general chaos which, combined with the general economic situation, turns into a disaster in the country.

No doubt that this government will be clearly defeated in the next elections despite the waste of government funds on the 10,000 B. which will still cause a chronic lack of government funds for essential services and certainly not an economic recovery and these billions spent will be totally inefficient because consumed for superfluous goods partly imported from China and others country.

Prayuth & Co were diabolical economic managers and the economy has underperformed its regional peers and more importantly its potential for a decade and a half now because of inept government. The handling of the pandemic was average. And "the west" didn't have a single method of dealing with it but certainly plenty of western countries suffered less economically during Covid than Thailand did. I mean at least have some idea of your topic before you glaze the jack boots 🙂 

Currently the wrong guy is in charge and the entire country is in limbo because it's not really allowed to move forward while so many in power aren't letting it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sandrew33 said:

Prayuth & Co were diabolical economic managers and the economy has underperformed its regional peers and more importantly its potential for a decade and a half now because of inept government. The handling of the pandemic was average. And "the west" didn't have a single method of dealing with it but certainly plenty of western countries suffered less economically during Covid than Thailand did. I mean at least have some idea of your topic before you glaze the jack boots 🙂 

Currently the wrong guy is in charge and the entire country is in limbo because it's not really allowed to move forward while so many in power aren't letting it. 

Just one question you should answer where were you during the Covid epidemic period? From your answer you were certainly not in the west, so you did not see anything.

As for Prayuth he managed the country like all past and current governments where corruption is the trademark of Thailand.

10 hours ago, John Drake said:

Prayuth did a first rate job with Covid. Those of us here had much more freedom than those living in the West or in China. Fewer deaths, here, and a population that worked with the government in order to secure a relative degree of safety for the population. Not to mention the Chinese vaccines, which I'm so very happy I received instead of the mRNA injections.

I agree with you, the confinement of the entire population in Western countries with the obligation to receive the harmful for many people of the so-called experimental mRNA vaccines if you wanted to work was the greatest humanitarian scandal.

The countries that received the gold medal were the former prison colonies of Australia and NZ where they distinguished themselves by not even letting their own citizens enter and setting up confinement camps for those who were reluctant to the experimental vaccines.

We who remained in Thailand did not know this dark period of history and we must not forget it.

I personally did not take any vaccine of any kind and no one forced me, I was able to do this thanks to the fact that I lived in Thailand.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/8/2024 at 7:02 PM, BE88 said:

Just one question you should answer where were you during the Covid epidemic period? From your answer you were certainly not in the west, so you did not see anything.

As for Prayuth he managed the country like all past and current governments where corruption is the trademark of Thailand.

I was in Thailand/Singapore at the start and then in Australia. 

Perhaps you can again address the issues raised or just acknowledge you are a biased ignorant loudmouth which seems your primary goal here. 

• Confused 2

11 hours ago, BE88 said:

I agree with you, the confinement of the entire population in Western countries with the obligation to receive the harmful for many people of the so-called experimental mRNA vaccines if you wanted to work was the greatest humanitarian scandal.

The countries that received the gold medal were the former prison colonies of Australia and NZ where they distinguished themselves by not even letting their own citizens enter and setting up confinement camps for those who were reluctant to the experimental vaccines.

We who remained in Thailand did not know this dark period of history and we must not forget it.

I personally did not take any vaccine of any kind and no one forced me, I was able to do this thanks to the fact that I lived in Thailand.

There was overreaction in Australia but most of your post is irrational nonsense. It’s also either outright inaccurate or misleading. 

I was covered by a mask mandate for about 3 weeks total during Covid by the way. How was mask wearing in Thailand? (I mean <deleted> me loads of them are still in them :)) 

• Confused 3

22 hours ago, John Drake said:

Not to mention the Chinese vaccines,which I'm so very happy I received instead of the mRNA injections.

You are probably right about the "vaccines"  the Chinese ( and Russian) was/is a traditional "vaccine" not mRNA, the rest I don't agree with  Thailand also had draconian measures in place at times..devastating ordinary peoples lives  whilst the big corporations where free to continue their trade 

albeit with "safety measures"  in place consolidating their monopolies. The biggest transfer of wealth in history.