All the Blood pressure medications

20 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

My doctor once put me on AMLODIPINE a blood pressure medication,I didn't tolerate it well so went off it ,tiredness ,swollen ankles

I have good luck with Amlodipine in the morning and Lisinopril in the evening. That way it allows  you the opportunity to reduce the dosage for both and achieve the same   result.  Ask your doctor about  cutting  the Amlodipine in half and supplementing  it with Lisinopril. Maybe a lower dosage of Amlodipine would eliminate the reaction you have to it. 

Ofcourse , don't do anything without talking to your doctor. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

There is substantial independent evidence that medications used to lower blood pressure in the United States have beneficial effects.

Numerous studies and clinical trials have demonstrated that antihypertensive medications can significantly reduce the risk of cardiovascular events, such as heart attacks and strokes, as well as decrease mortality rates.

And suffer side effects ?

This Valsartin has been linked to cancer 

Seems they change the names 

I will be taking this medication (un-opened) to the GP tommrrw for his 15 minutes $80 wisdom fee .(2000 baht)

$80 to see a GP in Australia,think how lucky you are in the UK where you pay nothing to see a GP

Edited by georgegeorgia

12 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

There is substantial independent evidence that medications used to lower blood pressure in the United States have beneficial effects.

Numerous studies and clinical trials have demonstrated that antihypertensive medications can significantly reduce the risk of cardiovascular events, such as heart attacks and strokes, as well as decrease mortality rates.

How obese are you ?

1 minute ago, georgegeorgia said:

And suffer side effects ?

This Valsartin has been linked to cancer 

Seems they change the names 

I am not aware of any medication that comes without side effects.....???

If the cure is worse than the disease.....don't take the cure...???

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Will B Good said:

I am not aware of any medication that comes without side effects.....???

If the cure is worse than the disease.....don't take the cure...???

Well my blood pressure is 152/90 right now ,should I open this packet and take it and suffer from side effects or stay off salt 

19 hours ago, save the frogs said:

this guy, who is himself a doctor, is criticizing the medical community for being "overly aggressive in lowering blood pressure".

There is a ton of good advise in this video. I think I've seen it before but there's no harm in having this important advise reiterated.

One aspect that I forgot to mention in my post yesterday is the importance of good breathing. Far too many people are 'chest breathers', which does not activate the diaphragm. 

Diaphragmatic breathing not only ventilates the lungs more efficiently, the downward movement of that muscle during inhalation applies a pumping action to organs of the viscera. This greatly aids the circulation of the blood taking the work load off the heart and assists in the clearing of toxins in that region. 

How we breath is also directly related to blood pressure and there are technics that can be used to help keep it under control. There is some good advise in this website. Stuff you're unlikely to hear in the doctor's office. One of them, the 4-7-8 routine I use every morning during my exercise routine.

https://www.modernheartandvascular.com/breathing-techniques-that-lower-blood-pressure/

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

There is a ton of good advise in this video. I think I've seen it before but there's no harm in having this important advise reiterated.

One aspect that I forgot to mention in my post yesterday is the importance of good breathing. Far too many people are 'chest breathers', which does not activate the diaphragm. 

Diaphragmatic breathing not only ventilates the lungs more efficiently, the downward movement of that muscle during inhalation applies a pumping action to organs of the viscera. This greatly aids the circulation of the blood taking the work load off the heart and assists in the clearing of toxins in that region. 

How we breath is also directly related to blood pressure and there are technics that can be used to help keep it under control. There is some good advise in this website. Stuff you're unlikely to hear in the doctor's office. One off them, the 4-7-8 routine I use every morning during my exercise routine.

https://www.modernheartandvascular.com/breathing-techniques-that-lower-blood-pressure/

How can you inhale without employing the diaphragm? The chest muscles can't assist with inhaling beyond relaxing....their function is to contract to push air back out of the lungs.....

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

You should discuss with your doctor as there may have been a specific reason for putting you on a calcium channel blocker.

If there was not then yes could switch to an ARB like Losartan. Readily available in Thailand and inexpensive. However at 50mg dose sometimes effect does not last full 24 hours i.e. your BP may rise later in the day. 

Just looked on my Prescription   is Losartan 25mg..

The Dr did put me on 100 mg mornings when they took me off Amlodipine , but often by lunch time was very low and passing out, 2 x taken to Hospital so was reduced to 50 mg, often low so now on 25 mg, only take the 50 mg if high.  = a bit of a yo-yo in readings

Sheryl  - Question  what about taking 1/2 mornings and the other 1/2 evenings > would that keep it more constant over 24 hrs ?   No good asking my Village Hospital Dr, never any idea who it maybe + they rush to get you in & out,  The Dr I did see for over 2 years has moved to a private hospital

Last appointment week ago he just looked on my Blood work tests said good, then all good not sure he could even speak English,,,, I did ask + had it written down in English + Thai - I did not want 1 x prescribed med because I had 320 day supply, still got them anyway so now have over 400 days supply !!

Not sure I could face the 12 hr round trip going back to Red Cross Hospital.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ignis said:

Dr BP meds I had since 1991 are classed as very old and newer improved Med's is  Amlodipine = severe ankle and foot swelling for me, Dr tried other things also ending in pine = the same  eg Manidipine

I take for past 4 years Losartan 20mg, mornings, but go on my BP readings every morning if low do not take > if over 165/88 then take 40 mg.. 

Also take Dozozin  2 MG 1 x  Evening > recommended dose for Male age 74 is 6 mg, have tried 4 mg but also get ankle and foot swelling, so stick on 2mg

42 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

You should discuss with your doctor as there may have been a specific reason for putting you on a calcium channel blocker.

If there was not then yes could switch to an ARB like Losartan. Readily available in Thailand and inexpensive. However at 50mg dose sometimes effect does not last full 24 hours i.e. your BP may rise later in the day. 

Thankyou to you both, most helpful. I've decided to seek advice from a recco'd doctor in St Mary's private hospital here in Korat (Dr Sumchai) in view of your post Sheryl as i'm a type 2 diabetic. 

4 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I'm currently using Amlodipine and its doing a good job with my BP but i'm getting severe ankle and foot swelling. I'm thinking of trying something else and following your suggestion am thinking of trying Losartan (CAZAAR) 50mg, i assume its available in Thailand.

What do you think Sheryl ?

How will you wean yourself off Amlodepine, and for how long will you 'try' Losartan?

47 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I have good luck with Amlodipine in the morning and Lisinopril in the evening. That way it allows  you the opportunity to reduce the dosage for both and achieve the same   result.  Ask your doctor about  cutting  the Amlodipine in half and supplementing  it with Lisinopril. Maybe a lower dosage of Amlodipine would eliminate the reaction you have to it. 

Ofcourse , don't do anything without talking to your doctor. 

Do you take your own blood pressure mornings and evenings?

If not, how do you know whether ANY medicatio is working?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Yes.....absolute consistency is required same time, same setup, ignore first reading, take the average of the next three.

Only alternative is real time monitoring.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

How will you wean yourself off Amlodepine, and for how long will you 'try' Losartan?

See below, i was just going to change to Losartan (Cazaar) for a period and see what happens to my ankle/feet swelling and continue to monitor my BP but considering Sheryl's post and advice i've decided to see a local doctor and discuss with him.

34 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Thankyou to you both, most helpful. I've decided to seek advice from a recco'd doctor in St Mary's private hospital here in Korat (Dr Sumchai) in view of your post Sheryl as i'm a type 2 diabetic. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ignis said:

Just looked on my Prescription   is Losartan 25mg..

The Dr did put me on 100 mg mornings when they took me off Amlodipine , but often by lunch time was very low and passing out, 2 x taken to Hospital so was reduced to 50 mg, often low so now on 25 mg, only take the 50 mg if high.  = a bit of a yo-yo in readings

Sheryl  - Question  what about taking 1/2 mornings and the other 1/2 evenings > would that keep it more constant over 24 hrs ?   No good asking my Village Hospital Dr, never any idea who it maybe + they rush to get you in & out,  The Dr I did see for over 2 years has moved to a private hospital

Last appointment week ago he just looked on my Blood work tests said good, then all good not sure he could even speak English,,,, I did ask + had it written down in English + Thai - I did not want 1 x prescribed med because I had 320 day supply, still got them anyway so now have over 400 days supply !!

Not sure I could face the 12 hr round trip going back to Red Cross Hospital.

May I ask your your BP readings ?

Sounds like your taking too much medicine causing dude effects 

Unless your BP is like 180 your taking too much !!!

Edited by georgegeorgia

33 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

You need to take a reading at different time of the say and average it out. 

I have a Bluetooth O ron BP machine , that automatically downloads all my readings  to the Omron app on my iPhone that provides me with a comprehensive record , and charts of all of my readings. When I go to my Cardiologist I simply give him my phone . The readings they take at their office are notoriously unreliable.   

7 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Suggests solving the root causes of high blood pressure, right?

People don't want to do that. Involves a lifestyle change. Hence the quest for meds.

Could not agree more.

Far too easy to avoid the action necessary to remain healthy.

I am starting to fall into that category as I get older.....drink too much, don't exercise as I should, eat too much sugar...etc.

The solution? Only on meds for hypertension at the moment....but other things might be in the pipeline.

Edited by Will B Good

5 minutes ago, BigStar said:

People don't want to do that. Involves a lifestyle change. Hence the quest for meds.

And therein lies the root cause of so many people's problems, to the delight of big pharma of course!

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I do eat a lot of raw garlic and will try to eat more 

Garlic is great in my opinion 

once I saw the effects on my mother's BP, I too began what I suggested to her - and I still take garlic supplement daily and I have no problems with my BP at 77 but I also exercise regularly a couple of hours daily and eat a healthy diet - lots of fresh fruits and veggies great here in Thailand.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

My doctor once put me on AMLODIPINE a blood pressure medication,I didn't tolerate it well so went off it ,tiredness ,swollen ankles

My blood pressure remains at around 150,160/90, probably caused by the Testereone injections I have monthly 

I don't like taking this Blood pressure medication or any medication for that matter.

My doctor has decided to put me on one called VALSARTIN😱

I googled it ,it doesn't have good reviews unfortunately 

However says it helps with erectile dysfunction 🥴

I haven't bothered to start it yet because I'm concerned it may do more damage than good 

Anyone else here on Valsartin?

Did you cope with it ?

I have been taking Telmisartin, 40mg  for a few years, seem to tolerate it well, BP normally between 110/65-130/80……….prescribed by Bumrungrad doc……….Cheers

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

How we breath is also directly related to blood pressure and there are technics that can be used to help keep it under control. There is some good advise in this website. Stuff you're unlikely to hear in the doctor's office. One of them, the 4-7-8 routine I use every morning during my exercise routine.

Yeah i monitor my heart during exercise and while studying Taekwando, I learned that breathing deeply will allow the heart to relax somewhat from vigorous exercise.  Also it is proven that deep breathing can lower ones BP too.  There are actual exericse programs for deep breathing.  Good luck.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Presnock said:

Yeah i monitor my heart during exercise and while studying Taekwando, I learned that breathing deeply will allow the heart to relax somewhat from vigorous exercise.  Also it is proven that deep breathing can lower ones BP too.  There are actual exericse programs for deep breathing.  Good luck.

I have an app on my phone which features the  4-7-8 routine and a few others. It's called, very simply, 'Breathe' and works a treat when one needs a bit of encouragement.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, BigStar said:

Yeah, that was the 2nd part. 

The first part he's questioning if we're being told the right numbers to begin with.

Yeah, lifestyle change is HARD. hahaha

Watch Bryan Johnson, man. He's inspiring.

DON'T DIE !!!

Edited by save the frogs
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

However at 50mg dose sometimes effect does not last full 24 hours i.e. your BP may rise later in the day. 

I switched from Ramipril 10mg to Losartan 75mg about 2 years ago when Ramipril became temporarily unavailable.  I began taking 1.5 X 50mg Losartan each morning.  Lately I also take B12 500mg 3 times a day so I thought it may work better if I also also took the Losartan 3 times daily @25mg.  I was thinking that there would be less variance in the level of the drug in my system.

Which is the better medication schedule for Losartan: 75mg at breakfast or 3 @ 25mg around meal times?

6 hours ago, BigStar said:

Bingo.  High blood pressure is of the result of a bad diet and being fat smoking, etc.   Taking drugs is the easy button.  

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, TedG said:

Bingo.  High blood pressure is of the result of a bad diet and being fat smoking, etc.   Taking drugs is the easy button.  

Have you ever heard of hereditary causes?