Quality tourist here. Where is my red carpet and smiles?

Been going to a rice place for a while now.  Usual thing.  Smells like urine and next to an open sewer.  Trash everywhere.  Not one word of English on the menu.  She's always miserable.  Now she just slams the box of food down and holds her hand out.  I will give her a 1 star google review and I will no longer eat there.

Another one is a cafe that I go to.  The woman looks like a text book sex scammer.  Resting bitch face and I swear she audibly sighs when a customer walks in.  We play this little game every time.  She does that 'I can't see you' thing.  So you just stand there in a totally silent cafe face to face with her ignoring you.  She closes her only fans page and looks at you blank.  Not a word of English.  Well today she pointed her phone at me and it read ''price has increased''.  So my cup of putrid water / coffee is now 50 baht.  I will not go there again.

Another cafe (just a table next to a flowing river of feces) I ordered a Hot Cappuccino she gave me an iced milkshake.  I hope Tao Bin and AI crushes them all.  At least the Tao Bin says ''How sweet do ya want ya drink?!''  ''The magic is happening!''  Perfect English and low prices.  Taxi drivers as well.  The RoboTaxi is coming for you.

How about you?  Do you like to support the local shops or crush them and opt for a more professional service?

Edited by Chris Daley
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 7

It's all about optics.  Thailand wanting "quality tourists" mean they want to have a certain kind of tourist because they perceive that as increasing the country's reputation.  It doesn't mean that they will be welcoming to the "right kind of tourist" in a way they aren't to anyone else.  In reality, it has nothing to do with the tourists themselves.

You've also got to remember that "quality tourists" are high class and high spending tourists who behave in a respectful manner, so you aren't going to find a warmer level of welcome from a lower priced establishment.

• Agree 2

On 8/3/2024 at 7:41 PM, Lorry said:

Reminds me of my visit to a breakfast place in London the other day.

Not a word of Thai on the menu, neither Lao!

Of course, I left,  this kind of stupid place probably wouldn't even have namtok.

I went to a nearby cafe to get chayen, but the waiter didn't speak a word of Thai,  I tried Khmer and Suai, useless. 

So I tried to grab a taxi to the airport to fly home - but even the taxi driver wouldn't speak Thai. 

What a godforsaken place

You think that's bad. Just try to get laid at short notice there and see how far you get.

On 8/3/2024 at 4:36 AM, Chris Daley said:

Been going to a rice place for a while now.  Usual thing.  Smells like urine and next to an open sewer.  Trash everywhere.  Not one word of English on the menu.  She's always miserable.  Now she just slams the box of food down and holds her hand out.  I will give her a 1 star google review and I will no longer eat there.

Another one is a cafe that I go to.  The woman looks like a text book sex scammer.  Resting bitch face and I swear she audibly sighs when a customer walks in.  We play this little game every time.  She does that 'I can't see you' thing.  So you just stand there in a totally silent cafe face to face with her ignoring you.  She closes her only fans page and looks at you blank.  Not a word of English.  Well today she pointed her phone at me and it read ''price has increased''.  So my cup of putrid water / coffee is now 50 baht.  I will not go there again.

Another cafe (just a table next to a flowing river of feces) I ordered a Hot Cappuccino she gave me an iced milkshake.  I hope Tao Bin and AI crushes them all.  At least the Tao Bin says ''How sweet do ya want ya drink?!''  ''The magic is happening!''  Perfect English and low prices.  Taxi drivers as well.  The RoboTaxi is coming for you.

How about you?  Do you like to support the local shops or crush them and opt for a more professional service?

sounds like you just graduated from the university of Bob. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

A quality tourist is one that comes to Thailand, spends money, enjoys the food and scenery, doesn't get sloppy drunk and make a nuisance of himself, and respects the culture no matter what he sees, then goes home. I thought you lived here but maybe not? If you do, this doesn't make you a tourist.

There isn't any red carpets put down for anyone unless they have a lot of money to throw around to other rich people. Coming from the US, the conditions of some shops and restaurants are appalling but this is still a developing country suppressed by others. If you don't like eating at those places, try others, because people are pigs worldwide, even in the US, as I've seen. Some have good food but terrible sanitary conditions.

Meat is left out on tables in supermarkets, which leaves bacteria a place to grow. Much of the time the meat smells because of this, so I take a whiff before I buy, then make sure it's fully cooked, as stomach problems here are rampant. Meat in the US is shrink wrapped and placed in a cooler tray, much cooler than what they have here. Restaurants have a rating there, and if you don't pass, you get a time period to clean up or are closed down. Won't happen here.

People don't have to speak English here although it helps when dealing with foreigners. Menus are made for locals. If you want to know what's available, use translator on your phone. If you're here awhile, or have researched or tried Thai food back in your home country, you already know what you like.

Crappy workers happen worldwide, and the restaurants suffer from this. If they are owners, they will learn a hard lesson soon by losing customers, something which is not good if you want to make a living.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 1

On 8/3/2024 at 3:36 PM, Chris Daley said:

A quality tourist doesn't go the dumps you mentioned and certainly not multiple times.

• Like 1