Thailand's Constitutional Court to Decide on Move Forward Party's Dissolution on August 7

I'm not sure you can rationalize the disbanding of a political party, and its duly-elected representatives, based on a 112 "complaint"?

Surely one has to be found guilty of a crime before punishment can be inflicted?

• Agree 1

Decision just after 15.45. The Constitutional Court has ruled to dissolve the Move Forward Party (MFP). Party executives are ban from politics for 10 years.

Post updated to show the ban for executives is 10 years, not 5 that was initially reported.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Georgealbert said:

The Constitutional Court has ruled to dissolve the Move Forward Party (MFP).

Scandalous. We need the US to weigh in on the side of good here and to remove Thailand from their list of democracies. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Let's bet ...

Will they dissolve MFP ?

I say ... no .

Will Pita be banned from politics ?

I say ... no again ...

but I'm too optimistic ...

Oh well. Maybe you can guess a lucky lottery number as compensation.

It seems pretty clear that even if there is a third incarnation of MFP , that attempts in every way to be squeaky clean , goal posts will be moved , rules bent and people banned for just about anything you can and cannot think of. They will not be allowed in any driving seat.

It is sadly ironic that the war cry of Suthep and his blind yellow shirt follows was   ' Patiroop '  ...............reform.  Yet when a bona fide new party easily wins an election on a platform of reform , suddenly ' reform ' is a dirty word.

Clearly , the only reform the PDRC really wanted was a system that blocked out the popular vote so emphatically that no other reform would be possible and the rich and powerful would maintain their hegonomy with the thinnest of democratic veneers meant to impress the international community.

As for people who say the Thais are gutless for putting up with this .....short memories.

• Thanks 1

Disgraceful .

Thailand is NOT a democratic country .

Why hold elections at all ?

Only for the reputation of being democratic . My wife says that she won't vote anymore ... a waste of time .

Take it for what it is : an autocratic monarchy .

All the elections etc is just show business .

• Agree 1

It's sick to see such an incompetent legal system, not only the legal system, but the judges in a Thai court are more incompetent than a law school student in let's say Sweden. It's not only incompetence, but these Thai judges are bribed and the lap dogs of the military junta. If the military days jump, the judges will jump.

This also happened to Future Forward party and Thanathorn Juangroongruangit. However,  I actually have to say that Thanathorn would have been the best Prime Minister in modern Thai society and the runner up would have been Puta Limjaroenrat. However, wich such a corrupt country like Thailand, I guess Thailand will continue staying 70 years behind our modern western countries.

• Like 1

MFP failed because they didn't know what they were, a political party or a radical movement. They ran their campaign as the latter but once in office they went on a purge to purify their own membership, instead of advancing (through advocacy and public awareness) their issues. They've barely maintained a presence since then. In fact, the only thing that gave them any sense of being in the news was this court case. Without it they would have disappeared. They built no new coalitions or allies. They made no appeals to the public. They were amateur hour at its worst.

Edited by John Drake
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, retarius said:

Scandalous. We need the US to weigh in on the side of good here and to remove Thailand from their list of democracies. 

The last thing need is any interference from the US, they don't do anyone any good. Just ask the people of Liybia, Iraq or Syria. 

Democracy to flourish, Thais  will have to fight for it.

But This will not happen, Thais will just carry on "same same" and that's why Thailand will never be a Democratic  country Stay as a third world county

A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory follower ship, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.

this will never happen in Thailand to much corruption

Edited by MikeandDow

2 minutes ago, marquess said:

The last thing need is any interference from the US, they don't do anyone any good. Just ask the people of Liybia, Iraq or Syria. 

A US senator just the other day threatened Thailand over this issue. A dumb move, as it probably only reinforced the court's determination to display their independence from foreign influence.

Well, this has been settled. In an astonishing development the court has decided to completely abolish the Move Forward party, the most popular party in the country. 

Thailand's Constitutional Court has ruled to dissolve the opposition Move Forward Party (MFP) and ban its executives, including the duly elected PM Pita, from political office for 10 years. 

The progressive political party won the most seats at the last election in 2023, but was blocked from forming a government last year by conservative forces in the military-appointed Senate.

A rather astonishing bit of continued regression. And we certainly know who is behind it. 

Woe are the people of Thailand. 

• Thanks 1

I have removed an inappropriate post.

Reminder of rule 4. You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any member of the Thai royal family whether living or deceased. You will not criticize the monarchy as an institution. Speculation, comments or discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing His Majesty The King of Thailand or the Thai royal family.

Reportedly the ruling said that the party posed a threat to the constitutional monarchy and national security by campaigning for the amendment of Section 112 of the Criminal Code.  I may be naive but isn't drafting new bills and amending existing legislation actually supposed to be the role of political parties in parliament?  There has never been anything in the constitution that says only certain clauses in statutory laws may be amended, while it is illegal to even propose amending others. Seems all very odd but ten I am not a legal expert. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

Thaksin is just another tolerated muppet .

Thaksin has already demonstrated that he has a political apparatus in place that can run rings around his opponents. He is without doubt the most masterful political strategist in Thailand. Unfortunately.

Edited by John Drake

I would really to know from a Thai "why do you bother to vote if a few higher ups are just going to slap your choices down again " seem pointless to me ??? and don't say to fight for Democracy

Edited by MikeandDow
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Thaksin has already demonstrated that he has a political apparatus in place that can run rings around his opponents. He is without doubt the most masterful political strategist in Thailand. Unfortunately.

He wanted to go back to Dubai already ... but he was not allowed to ...