Tesla Cancels Plan for EV Factory in Thailand

image.jpeg

Electric vehicle giant Tesla has scrapped its plans to establish a manufacturing plant in Thailand. This development comes as part of a broader strategic shift impacting their global expansion plans outside of key hubs in China, the U.S., and Germany.

Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin had announced Tesla's intended investment of over $5 billion to make Thailand a hub for its EV manufacturing. The announcement followed several high-level meetings between Tesla executives and Thai officials, both in Thailand and the United States. Notably, the PM and senior officials toured Tesla's Fremont Factory in California during the APEC Economic Leaders' Meeting in November of the previous year.

During these meetings, Tesla executives, including Rohan Patel, surveyed potential factory sites in Thailand. With much optimism, the investment was expected to be formalised in the first quarter of this year. However, the Prime Minister’s Office has now confirmed that Tesla will instead focus solely on developing charging infrastructure in the region.

“Tesla is currently only discussing charging stations, with the factory plans suspended not just in Thailand but worldwide. They are not proceeding in Malaysia, Indonesia, or anywhere else except for China, America, and Germany,” said a Government House source, reported Nation Thailand.

The decision comes amid broader uncertainties in Tesla's international projects. Previously, Tesla announced the halting of its Gigafactory plans in Mexico, citing economic concerns and political uncertainties related to U.S. trade policies. This Gigafactory, meant to be constructed near Monterrey, was first revealed in March last year but has faced multiple delays and is now paused until further notice.

The shift away from a factory in Thailand mirrors Tesla's reevaluation of investment strategies in several regions. The layoffs of a team of Tesla executives who had visited Thailand late last year add more weight to this strategic pivot.

While this move represents a significant shift for Tesla’s plans in Southeast Asia, it underscores the company’s adaptability and focus on consolidating its resources where they are likely to have the most substantial impact.

Tesla factory. File photo courtesy: The Nation

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-07

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, patman30 said:

but i thought demand for EV's was outpacing supply?

No longer, if the reported buildup of thousands upon thousands of EVs (Chinese) piling up in European ports is anything to go by ...

• Thanks 1

Bet'cha $10 TESLA didn't want to fall afoul of the FCPA. 

Especially not with Elon on the hot seat for supporting free speech and Trump.  Those are the guys the partisan DOJ comes after.

Edited by impulse
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

They are not proceeding in Malaysia, Indonesia, or anywhere else except for China

Southeast Asia isn't going to reject EV imports from China given its political regional domination. With Tesla being manufactured in China for export, Thailand just isn't important for its manufacturing. But it seems Musk likes to "egg" on country leaders to get one of his EV plants.

• Like 1

There are 195 countries in the world, of which 40 % or 78 countries are RHD and drive on the LHS of the road !

There are 195 countries in the world, of which 60 % or 117 countries are LHD and drive on the RHS of the road !

So is Elon giving up on the RHD Sector, {and leaving it to BYD ?}

It seems a little strange, since, the Largest Population in the world, is now INDIA and once the preserve of the British Raj, and is RHD.

India is developing FAST and will soon get rid of its ricketty Tuk-Tuks {Sam-Lors}  !

So is Elon, relying on the forthcoming Robo-taxis, for it's future income  ?

I've done my share of driving, and getting Taxis, in Bangkok  !
Now I live in the NE, where to get to the local village { 3 / 4 miles away}, I use a Motor-cycle !

I passed by the BYD Service Centre a while ago  !

Looks like they're up and running  !

So, What to do Lah  ?

BTW, I'm a Newbie here  !   I've only been here 25 years  !

• Confused 2

Dated products can't compete with fresher, better, less expensive models from China--with more on the way.  Tesla was first out the gate but has faltered.  No new factory means they have enough build capacity now for the sales they have.

5 hours ago, Celsius said:

That is silly comment. Not a fan of Tesla or electric disposable cars, but Thailand lost here big time, and Elon actually made a smart move. 

Considering Elon politics you have to wonder how much that had to do aling with a definite lack of trained people 

18 hours ago, CallumWK said:

Have those plans ever been announced by anyone else than the salesman at the head of this government?

The "salesman" is ignorant, so no, I don't think so.