Is intestinal worms a myth?

40 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

This recommendation is specific to children under the age of 5 years in areas where soil-transmitted helminths are prevalent. As noted these include non-tropical locations such as East Asia and China as well as the tropics.

WHO does not recommend routine deworming of older children, much less adults. Exception in the case of pregnant women in areas with high prevalence of hookworm infection. 

Exactly.

And you have to understand the context, and the kind of barefoot medicine the WHO (correctly) promotes,  for places like sub-saharan Africa.

In a village in Mali, you don't have the resources to check all kids for worms, and chances are, most will be infected anyway. So just deworm them regularly, better than doing nothing. 

In a city in an upper-middle income country like Thailand,  the situation is very different.

On 8/7/2024 at 8:08 AM, georgegeorgia said:

I remember talking to a farang in Pattaya who told me he was taking every once a  month the fibre pills from the 711 

Apparently once a month he would take the whole fibre pills  box  forget the name could be sennox?

But anyway he would  fast for the day and drink water to get rid of "worms" caused by the Thai street food he ate 

He would go to a bowel cleanse with water 

Don't ask me I didn't ask him what that involved but I think it was water in the bowels with a hose I think it called colon water irrigation??

I did doubt him but he told me something interesting,and I want to know your opinion.

Not every month but he said about once or twice a year during his once a month fast and bowel cleanse that out comes a..... long white coloured worm.

Is this possible a long worm would be inside ??? 

Is that a myth do you think ,?

image.png.a840c1a605f1df1e6df70ca919323649.png

I suffer from a phobia of being infected by worms:

image.png.26cbd3a0e32dd74bbe29d8c3770930af.png

This is no laughing matter....

On 8/7/2024 at 8:08 AM, georgegeorgia said:

I remember talking to a farang in Pattaya who told me he was taking every once a  month the fibre pills from the 711 

Apparently once a month he would take the whole fibre pills  box  forget the name could be sennox?

But anyway he would  fast for the day and drink water to get rid of "worms" caused by the Thai street food he ate 

He would go to a bowel cleanse with water 

Don't ask me I didn't ask him what that involved but I think it was water in the bowels with a hose I think it called colon water irrigation??

I did doubt him but he told me something interesting,and I want to know your opinion.

Not every month but he said about once or twice a year during his once a month fast and bowel cleanse that out comes a..... long white coloured worm.

Is this possible a long worm would be inside ??? 

Is that a myth do you think ,?

He may have intestinal parasites: tapeworm or ascarid hookworms.  Hookworms are far worse, if too many they can block the bowel.  Antihelmintic medicines can get rid of these effectively; they could be traditional or modern medications.