US and EU express concern over the demise of Thailand's Move Forward party

50 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

And tomorrow both the above will continue to do business as usual.

And if they did not … they would be accused of interfering in internal affairs of a sovereign nation. Lose, lose …

3 hours ago, JimGant said:

Amnesty International, and all these other hand-wringing NGOs, are culturally tone deaf. Thailand happens to  be very protective of its Royal Family; say bad things about them, and pay a heavy price for blasphemy. Similar sensitivities about blasphemy in Muslim countries. Dissent all you want in Thailand -- but just be aware of certain cultural boundaries -- and the heavy price you'll pay for pushing the envelope. Amnesty International would have more validity, if it didn't broad-brush the world. 

The difference was that MFP didn't want to do away with it they just wanted to make so that only the royal family could lay the charge and not somchai

As to Muslim countries yes they are protective of Allah.

Can you tell me of a monarchy that has this rule 

3 hours ago, JimGant said:

Thailand happens to  be very protective of its Royal Family;

Very true, so somebody please explain to me, why the MFP chose to announce any plans to water down the Monarchy's power before they were elected?

Seems to me the foolishly handed the loaded gun to the cronies in power to ensure they never take over the reins of this country, innit?

• Agree 2

This is great news, only great amounts of shame, humiliation and egg on the face, are the driving forces behind any kind of reform or change in this rather regressive nation. 

The reform that Move Forward wanted was simply the elimination of the abuse of power and draconian sentences, when it came to LM laws. 

If there was any argument that the ruling powers could have made about Thailand being a democracy, it is certainly gone now that the election was stolen from the duly elected PM Pita, and on top of that his party has been disqualified entirely in the name of regression, and preserving the status quo, as these foreign powers  stated.

All democratic nations should call out Thailand for this heinous and ridiculous act, and lack of judicial independence. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, JimGant said:

Amnesty International, and all these other hand-wringing NGOs, are culturally tone deaf. Thailand happens to  be very protective of its Royal Family; say bad things about them, and pay a heavy price for blasphemy. Similar sensitivities about blasphemy in Muslim countries. Dissent all you want in Thailand -- but just be aware of certain cultural boundaries -- and the heavy price you'll pay for pushing the envelope. Amnesty International would have more validity, if it didn't broad-brush the world. 

What are you on about..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CanadaSam said:

Very true, so somebody please explain to me, why the MFP chose to announce any plans to water down the Monarchy's power before they were elected?

Seems to me the foolishly handed the loaded gun to the cronies in power to ensure they never take over the reins of this country, innit?

Why don't you go and study EXACTLY what the MFP proposed... You seem to misunderstood.

3 hours ago, pub2022 said:

United States and EU pretending to give lessons in democracy to Thailand is ridiculous to say the least.

Look at how the EU deal with dissent....Victor Orban, a case study. Democracy is overblown. As practised in US and EU it is not transparent and therefore totally corrupt. 

7 hours ago, novacova said:

Quite the resemblance of some western nations isn’t it…

Indeed, I am reading  Ken Follet's "The Armour of Light" and was thinking that England of 1792 was totally reminiscent of today's Thailand.

5 hours ago, Will B Good said:

What has Singapore got to do with anything?

Just another managed democracy in the Asian neighborhood. From the report I posted, their stifling of freedom of expression is worse than Thailand's. But, hey, when you got a clan like the Lees, running a successful and happy country, you ain't newsworthy.

7 hours ago, Ned said:

What now for the US State Dept's plans to turn Thailand into another proxy state like Ukraine?

and clash Thailand with MY in annexed 3 provinces on the South of TH. 
Brilliant idea!

12 hours ago, edwinchester said:

"May Thailand always remain a Monarchy & fiercely patriotic..."

I see you left out any mention of democracy.

Disenfranchising over 14 million people of their vote was inevitable when Move Forward won the election but it was far from a mistake rather it was a calculated blow from Thailand's elite using the Military Appointed Constitutional Court to further their own corrupt cause.

Correct, Its a constitutional monarchy with v strong military input its NOT a democracy as most would understand it  ..

You might not like it but  then you or I dont matter, you think the EU is actually a democracy ? its not. eg EU parliament leaders are appointed not voted for & they make rules and Lord it  over the other democratically elected countries Govs by non democratic means and diktat. The people of Europe get no say or vote at all on anything the EU itself does or decides to do. Half of Europe arnt even democracies  they are either republics or constitutional Monarchies. Heck even the US is a Republic not a democracy.  D  word is thrown around like its some badge of honour but there are versions that differ hugely globally, dosnt mean good or effective government or improvement for the people or its culture, thats a western concept.  Some are terribly corrupt  such as Ukraine or  stagnated like  Japan or going backwards like the EU & theres plenty of failed democratic states ie Sri Lanka or Bangladesh   .. Thailand is what it is and will be just fine without a fashionable "progressive" party like MF .. 

TIT & its no biggie to cancel a party and ban its leaders etc. MF played the game but didnt prepare well enough, grease the right palms, was naive  and dropped the ball. It won 38% which  is not  sufficient  to form a government alone. Then it failed to mediate well enough to find  support among the optional alternative parties to power share so ultimately lost the game. MF isnt the first party to be dissolved and wont be the last, nor do I care one jot.  Seen the coups and various parties/leaders come and go and the last thing i want Thailand to become is just another globalist basket case to appease most foreigners idea of what they think is best.. .  Personally I like the Thai version of management much better thank you warts and all & fell in love with the country many years ago, not its system.

I did find it very funny to see Pita crying like a child. Thats not a future  leader of substance or Thailand, but then weak men do that a lot these days. Will he still be around in politics 10 years from now or buckle down to grind it out over the next few years ? like the Shinawatras etc did/have   ?  I highly doubt it.. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, englishoak said:

Correct, Its a constitutional monarchy with v strong military input its NOT a democracy as most would understand it  ..

You might not like it but  then you or I dont matter, you think the EU is actually a democracy ? its not. eg EU parliament leaders are appointed not voted for & they make rules and Lord it  over the other democratically elected countries Govs by non democratic means and diktat. The people of Europe get no say or vote at all on anything the EU itself does or decides to do. Half of Europe arnt even democracies  they are either republics or constitutional Monarchies. Heck even the US is a Republic not a democracy.  D  word is thrown around like its some badge of honour but there are versions that differ hugely globally, dosnt mean good or effective government or improvement for the people or its culture, thats a western concept.  Some are terribly corrupt  such as Ukraine or  stagnated like  Japan or going backwards like the EU & theres plenty of failed democratic states ie Sri Lanka or Bangladesh   .. Thailand is what it is and will be just fine without a fashionable "progressive" party like MF .. 

TIT & its no biggie to cancel a party and ban its leaders etc. MF played the game but didnt prepare well enough, grease the right palms, was naive  and dropped the ball. It won 38% which  is not  sufficient  to form a government alone. Then it failed to mediate well enough to find  support among the optional alternative parties to power share so ultimately lost the game. MF isnt the first party to be dissolved and wont be the last, nor do I care one jot.  Seen the coups and various parties/leaders come and go and the last thing i want Thailand to become is just another globalist basket case to appease most foreigners idea of what they think is best.. .  Personally I like the Thai version of management much better thank you warts and all & fell in love with the country many years ago, not its system.

I did find it very funny to see Pita crying like a child. Thats not a future  leader of substance or Thailand, but then weak men do that a lot these days. Will he still be around in politics 10 years from now or buckle down to grind it out over the next few years ? like the Shinawatras etc did/have   ?  I highly doubt it.. 

Correct it matters not a jot what I think or want but talking with all of my Thai friends they are extremely angry by what has happened to the party they voted for and say they'll be voting for whatever incarnation is forced of MF in the future. Unlike you they want a real democracy in Thailand to improve their lives rather than a rich elite running a country for the benefit of a few mega rich.

Edited by edwinchester