UK Thai embassy issues warning amid anti-immigration protests

1 minute ago, nauseus said:

You sound like Starmer, who is busy trying to quash just one group, while ignoring the root causes of a far wider and more historical problem. That one group does have it's bad elements but other groups do too. Now Starmer is just compounding the wider problem, which is typical of the last few PM's in the UK.

You sound like Farage ....

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

Kind of ironic coming from a country and government that is hugely anti-immigration and anti-foreigner... there's a word for this in English.

The Thai Embassy is telling Thais in the UK to avoid protests , theres nothing hypocritical or  ironic about it 

9 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

£8million GBP per day is spent just on accommodation for immigrants, if this money could be placed into the NHS or schools, what a difference.

In isolation the £8,000,000 looks almost unbelievable, though not so much when taken in context of a country with a population of 67 million people. The daily budget of the NHS is somewhere north of £525,000,000. The daily cost of universal credit is £220,000,000.

The UK spends 0.15% of its GNI on asylum seekers - including the cost of hotels.

I have no problem with anyone who thinks 0.15% is too high - but to blame the economic problems of the UK on it does not seem reasonable.

• Sad 3

9 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

but we currently have 10.3 million foreign-born people in a country of 68 million, which I think is way too many.

I have no problem if you think that's too many, but not sure what you base your opinion on. The vast majority of the 10.3 million you mention work and pay taxes, own their own homes or rent privately; or are students paying high premium to UK universities; or are spouses of British citizens. Asylum seekers make up 1.7% of this number and all other refugees/stateless people (including Ukrainians etc) make up a further 2.3% (of the 10.3 million).

Very few people are of the extremist view that there should be some kind of open door policy on immigration, but most are aware the UK would be in real trouble without continued (and controlled) migration, as the population ages and the work force shrinks. Unless of course you want to go down the Singaporean route and encourage people to never retire - abolishing the State Pension would save some money. I would imagine such a scenario would not be popular though, even with the mindless thugs who were rioting.

9 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

If legal migrants in the UK were told that they had to get health insurance in order to get a work visa for themselves and their families they might decide to look for work somewhere else instead.

Legal migrants pay the NHS surcharge to access the NHS should they fall ill (and those on work visas obviously pay taxes too).

1 hour ago, Pickwick said:

I have no problem if you think that's too many, but not sure what you base your opinion on. The vast majority of the 10.3 million you mention work and pay taxes, own their own homes or rent privately; or are students paying high premium to UK universities; or are spouses of British citizens. Asylum seekers make up 1.7% of this number and all other refugees/stateless people (including Ukrainians etc) make up a further 2.3% (of the 10.3 million).

Very few people are of the extremist view that there should be some kind of open door policy on immigration, but most are aware the UK would be in real trouble without continued (and controlled) migration, as the population ages and the work force shrinks. Unless of course you want to go down the Singaporean route and encourage people to never retire - abolishing the State Pension would save some money. I would imagine such a scenario would not be popular though, even with imindless thugs who were rioting.

Legal migrants pay the NHS surcharge to access the NHS should they fall ill (and those on work visas obviously pay taxes too).

Any way you could convnce me to believe all that? 

7 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Rubbish, its only the white far right Nazis that are are causing these riots, for their own agenda to fight the police, and loot from businesses. Causing harm to normal peaceful people burning cars  etc. who they don't even know who owns them . Lock the lock up.

Right, I have watched a drama on TV about the far-right (true story)just a bunch of neo nazi supporters and guess what most terrorists are white and not Muslims. 

• Confused 5
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

I like what happens in Australia, if you break the law and end up in prison then once time is served you get deported back to where you come from, same needs to happen in the UK and no appeals in court.

Time for a change but without the violence of the past weeks as this is not fixing the problem.

It’s not that easy sadly. Asylum seekers are primed to ‘lose’ there passports and paperwork so it’s not then easy to deport as it’s hard to prove where there from. And of course some have genuine issues as to why they’re seeking asylum. For sure the French aren’t going to take them as are not other European countries . First thing they need to do is streamline the appeal process and initial request for asylum . Most are migrants looking for a better life. UK is well known for compassion ! 

4 hours ago, nauseus said:

Any way you could convnce me to believe all that? 

I don't really understand your question. The information I based my post on is freely available. If you have conflicting data I would be happy to look at it.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nigeone said:

Asylum seekers are primed to ‘lose’ there passports and paperwork so it’s not then easy to deport as it’s hard to prove where there from. And of course some have genuine issues as to why they’re seeking asylum

A real problem with the tactics of the criminal gangs bringing people into the UK (though there are obvious reasons why genuine asylum seekers might not have access to travel documents). The Home Office (under the previous Tory government) stated that at some point during the subsequent asylum process identity has to be proven or an application is failed. I can't find any reliable information as to how they do that.

The situation has been made worse by Brexit and our loss of access to the Eurodac database. Tony Blair's government did pass a law trying to counter this problem twenty years ago - and entering the UK without a passport is contrary to section 2 Asylum and Immigration (Treatment of Claimants, etc.) Act 2004.

However, prosecution under this law has dramatically decreased in the last 16 years (under both Labour and Tory governments), even after the passing of the Nationality and Borders Act (2022) - I don't know why.

For sure the French aren’t going to take them as are not other European countries

The French (and the Germans and Italians etc) already take in more immigrants than the UK. Previously we could - and did - return people to France but Brexit ended our participation in the Dublin Agreement and this is no longer possible. The UK and French governments - for obvious reasons - do not release operational information, but Boris Johnson's government increased funding to facilitate cooperation with the French., so I assume he had good reason for doing so.

UK is well known for compassion !

I doubt many non-Brits reading Asean Now or watching the recent news would agree with you.

Edited by Pickwick
typo
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Pickwick said:

In isolation the £8,000,000 looks almost unbelievable, though not so much when taken in context of a country with a population of 67 million people. The daily budget of the NHS is somewhere north of £525,000,000. The daily cost of universal credit is £220,000,000.

The UK spends 0.15% of its GNI on asylum seekers - including the cost of hotels.

I have no problem with anyone who thinks 0.15% is too high - but to blame the economic problems of the UK on it does not seem reasonable.

Just to be clear, at no point did I blame any economic problem on illegal immigration. You do make some good points about daily costs. There are around 20,000 state schools in the UK, if each one was given an extra £8million a year what a differance it would make.

Edited by stupidfarang
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

Just to be clear, at no point did I blame any economic problem on illegal immigration. You do make some good points about daily costs. There are around 20,000 state schools in the UK, if each one was given an extra £8million a year what a differance it would make.

I agree the system needs to change but it still feels to me like immigration is being disproportionately blamed for the economic problems in the UK -  this thread itself would back that up.

Small business in the UK cost HMRC £36,000,000,000 a year in tax evasion. A further estimated £570,000,000,000 is held by British citizens in tax havens around the world. There's £30 million for each of your 20,000 state schools. We haven't even mentioned tax loopholes, shady tax avoidance practices by large corporations etc; nor any of the other big hitters such as benefit fraud etc.

Yet compare the amount of attention the 0.15% of GNI we spend on asylum seekers gets and tell me its not disproportionate.

Even Nigel Farage doesn't want to completely scrap this aid budget. He is well aware that every developed country in the world spends a small amount of their GNI on aid, and there is a wealth of information that this has overall economic benefits at the international level. There is also a wealth of evidence to suggest that if the UK left all its international obligations the cost to the British taxpayer would far exceed 0.15 of the GNI.

What i don't get about the whole 'we're being invaded' argument is that literally Britain did invade half the world for more than two centuries. 

They invaded India. I am not sure how well this is taught in schools in the UK. 

Then they wanted Indians to help them in both wars. I mean imagine going to defend and die for a country that isn't even your homeland. 

Then on top of that they were actively bought in Britain to come and work in factories to help rebuild the country after the war. Of course they are then going to bring their family here. 

Then some 60 years later they are being told they're invading. 

It's education.

Edited by DonniePeverley
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

There is good and bad eggs in all cultures. 

I see many Brits who really hit the benefit system hard - does that mean they are all that way inclined? No. Where as my local experience is the immigrants in the UK work very hard. Even the governments own findings say migrants bring in a massive net contribution to the economy to the UK. 

Can some mix in more, yes sure. But why does it matter? The vast majority of Brits in Spain and Thailand make very little effort to mix, learn the language, or intergrate. 

I love the mix of foods and cultures in the UK, it can make it a great place. 

But the ignorant racists are looking at the wrong people to blame. Immigrants aren't the reason you are paying sky high interest rates, or your public services are not properly funded. 

Edited by JoeyMac
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The protests are a combination of many things including the problems of illegal immigrants into the country. Additionally, the government openly showing bias towards certain groups and ignoring the wishes of the British people.

• Thanks 1

The protests are due to a lack of education, social media manipulating thick people, and the rhetoric from the last government looking for people to blame for their problems. 

The amount the government wasted on PPI fiasco and covid, pales into comparison to the money spent on asylum seekers. 

Furthermore didn't see any riots for Lucy Letby or other shocking incidents when they were not muslim. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pickwick said:

I don't really understand your question. The information I based my post on is freely available. If you have conflicting data I would be happy to look at it.

I'll take that as a no, then.

25 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

The protests are due to a lack of education, social media manipulating thick people, and the rhetoric from the last government looking for people to blame for their problems. 

The amount the government wasted on PPI fiasco and covid, pales into comparison to the money spent on asylum seekers. 

Furthermore didn't see any riots for Lucy Letby or other shocking incidents when they were not muslim. 

All the above available from the non-stop slop shop.

3 hours ago, Pickwick said:

I agree the system needs to change but it still feels to me like immigration is being disproportionately blamed for the economic problems in the UK -  this thread itself would back that up.

Small business in the UK cost HMRC £36,000,000,000 a year in tax evasion. A further estimated £570,000,000,000 is held by British citizens in tax havens around the world. There's £30 million for each of your 20,000 state schools. We haven't even mentioned tax loopholes, shady tax avoidance practices by large corporations etc; nor any of the other big hitters such as benefit fraud etc.

Yet compare the amount of attention the 0.15% of GNI we spend on asylum seekers gets and tell me its not disproportionate.

Even Nigel Farage doesn't want to completely scrap this aid budget. He is well aware that every developed country in the world spends a small amount of their GNI on aid, and there is a wealth of information that this has overall economic benefits at the international level. There is also a wealth of evidence to suggest that if the UK left all its international obligations the cost to the British taxpayer would far exceed 0.15 of the GNI.

You should really reference your sources for these incredible numbers, otherwise people won't believe them.

Edited by nauseus
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, nauseus said:

You should really reference your sources for these incredible numbers, otherwise people won't believe them.

I told you the information was freely available and I have quoted the source - HMRC. Feel free to post conflicting sources by all means.

I did add a little bit of simple arithmetic to get the daily number. If you really need to see my workings I did it this way: total annual cost divided by 365 (days in the year).

On 8/9/2024 at 7:17 AM, stupidfarang said:

the solution being prison, being taken away for a quite talk, re-education. If you knew anything you would know the locals have learnt to be very careful in what they say in public and with friends. 14million voters wanted a change and what happen? As for a solution in the UK, the anti-protests against the riots is happening now, not saying all is good in the UK with illegal immigration, the government needs to change a few laws and deport.

I like what happens in Australia, if you break the law and end up in prison then once time is served you get deported back to where you come from, same needs to happen in the UK and no appeals in court.

Time for a change but without the violence of the past weeks as this is not fixing the problem.

UK was an 'open door' for immigration until 1971. Those to whom you refer were most likely born in UK, thus cannot be deported.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Pickwick said:

I told you the information was freely available and I have quoted the source - HMRC. Feel free to post conflicting sources by all means.

I did add a little bit of simple arithmetic to get the daily number. If you really need to see my workings I did it this way: total annual cost divided by 365 (days in the year).

You said "small business in the UK cost HMRC £36,000,000,000 a year in tax evasion".

That is untrue. Perhaps you should improve your "arithmetic" a bit?

29 minutes ago, nauseus said:

You said "small business in the UK cost HMRC £36,000,000,000 a year in tax evasion".

Fair enough, I should have worded it more carefully. I should have written 'Unpaid Tax, as reported directly from HMRC, amounted to £36,000,000,000 (in 2022, the last full year of data).

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs

15 minutes ago, Pickwick said:

Fair enough, I should have worded it more carefully. I should have written 'Unpaid Tax, as reported directly from HMRC, amounted to £36,000,000,000 (in 2022, the last full year of data).

And the Government prosecutes the people who don't pay that tax . 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pickwick said:

All small busnesses? Don't think so.

Should I look in The Pickwick Papers or what?

20 minutes ago, nauseus said:

All small busnesses? Don't think so.

No, as I wrote above the figure of £36,000,000,000 is the total of unpaid tax not received by HMRC (in 2022) - through evasion, errors and other criminal attacks (I don't know what 'criminal attacks' means here, this is HMRC's wording).

The largest percentage of this unpaid tax (by far) is from small businesses, which is where my confusion came from. I apologise for the confusion and I'm glad you have pointed it out.

Nevertheless, that the amount of £36,000,000,000 is 'lost' to HMRC is true and correct. And the point of that big number was to use it as context to other big numbers being talked about.

It is true that the UK spends £8 million a day housing asylum seekers. It is also true that this is 0.25% of the UK's daily spend (link below).

I appreciate some people may feel that spending 0.25% of our daily budget is too much, but it is clearly not the main reason for the UK's financial problems.

(Calculated as a daily percentage of the government's yearly spend of £1200 billion see here: https://ifs.org.uk/taxlab/taxlab-key-questions/what-does-government-spend-money#:~:text=The government spends huge amounts,to around 45% of GDP)

• Sad 1