Ohio Transgender Treatment and Sports Ban for Minors Enforced After Court Ruling

Social Media

6 hours ago, Social Media said:

the gender they were assigned at birth. 

And that's the source of the problem. Who assigns the gender? A gender is not assigned. It is merely recognised on sight of the genitals either on birth or earlier through ultrasound! Anything else is just big bs

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Disappointing news. I guess this issue will have to run its course until people accept the fact that not everyone is born to be only a male or female. It's very much like racism - either be the way I accept, or I'll reject you.

8 hours ago, WDSmart said:

Disappointing news. I guess this issue will have to run its course until people accept the fact that not everyone is born to be only a male or female. It's very much like racism - either be the way I accept, or I'll reject you.

The laws in question are about minors. We have many laws regarding minors that would be unacceptable for an adult.

• Agree 1

On 8/10/2024 at 9:39 AM, LukKrueng said:

And that's the source of the problem. Who assigns the gender? A gender is not assigned. It is merely recognised on sight of the genitals either on birth or earlier through ultrasound! Anything else is just big bs

I think gender is much more complicated than that. I'm not a doctor or have special training in biology, but I've come up with at least four areas that contribute to gender:
- external genitals;

- internal sexual organs;

- chromosomes (XY or XX);

- hormones (androgen/estrogen).

I'm sure there's more... 

29 minutes ago, timendres said:

The laws in question are about minors. We have many laws regarding minors that would be unacceptable for an adult.

I can understand your point when it comes to transgender treatment, especially surgical treatment, but not sports. These non-specific gender kids should be allowed all the activities available to their specifically male and female classmates and friends.

16 hours ago, WDSmart said:

I think gender is much more complicated than that. I'm not a doctor or have special training in biology, but I've come up with at least four areas that contribute to gender:
- external genitals;

- internal sexual organs;

- chromosomes (XY or XX);

- hormones (androgen/estrogen).

I'm sure there's more... 

Those 4 "areas" you mentioned are all set by biology during pregnancy and are binary ie either male or female. There's nothing in between. Yes, there are anomalities such as external\internal organs that are not fully or correctly developed, or males with an extra X chromosome, or even imbalanced hormones. But at the end of the day the body functions as either male that produces sperm or female that produces eggs and can carry a pregnancy. There are skeleton differences between the 2, muscles deference, and generally speaking males are physically stronger than females.

There's no such thing as gender change surgery. Science cannot take a male body and change it into a functioning female body nor a female body into a functioning male body. It's simply a plastic surgery that changes the looks of the external organs to LOOK like organs of the opposite sex. And yes, male and female are considered opposite.

7 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

Those 4 "areas" you mentioned are all set by biology during pregnancy and are binary ie either male or female. There's nothing in between. Yes, there are anomalities such as external\internal organs that are not fully or correctly developed, or males with an extra X chromosome, or even imbalanced hormones. But at the end of the day the body functions as either male that produces sperm or female that produces eggs and can carry a pregnancy. There are skeleton differences between the 2, muscles deference, and generally speaking males are physically stronger than females.

There's no such thing as gender change surgery. Science cannot take a male body and change it into a functioning female body nor a female body into a functioning male body. It's simply a plastic surgery that changes the looks of the external organs to LOOK like organs of the opposite sex. And yes, male and female are considered opposite.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with your last statement, "...male and female are considered opposite." If you meant by that, male and female are the only choices, then yes, they are. The four areas I mentioned above (external genitalia, internal sexual organs, chromosomes, and hormones) can exist mixed in various ways in any one individual. That, to me, means that there is a range of genders, with male and female being the extreme of each side of the range. I'm sure the curve for that range would be very steep, with most people at or near one of the extreme sides, but there would also be some people along that curve's slope.