Grok, Musk's New Image Generation Tool Creates Outrage after Noxious Images Spread

Social Media

image.png.1e60265ae00fb76a2bf4167262a6991a.png

In the increasingly polarized landscape of social media, Elon Musk's platform X has ventured into new, contentious terrain, intertwining the volatile realms of artificial intelligence (AI) and politics. The introduction of Grok, a loosely regulated AI chatbot, has sparked a wave of provocative, AI-generated content that is both controversial and disruptive.

image.png.65419e1cac3a9d8c995e6c4da0b22017.png

From hyper-realistic images of political figures in compromising scenarios to depictions of extreme ideologies, X's new AI tools have opened the floodgates to a deluge of potentially harmful content. As the United States braces for a contentious presidential election, Musk's latest moves have drawn criticism and concern, signaling a shift in how social media platforms might influence political discourse.

image.png.013d1773ce9cbc5cbd80d111e2ec559c.png

The new AI capabilities on X allow users to create photorealistic visuals with alarming ease, generating content that ranges from the bizarre to the offensive. Among the most striking examples are fake images of Vice President Kamala Harris suggestively eating fruit, former President Donald Trump cradling Harris's pregnant belly, and muscular men brandishing Nazi symbols. These images are products of Grok, a built-in chatbot Musk proudly described as the "most fun AI in the world!" However, unlike its competitors, X's AI technology lacks significant guardrails to prevent the creation of offensive or misleading content, including depictions of real people, trademarked characters, or violence.

image.png.6f0c188699f961bcd022a52f0cf0d1de.png

The absence of stringent content filters on X's platform has raised concerns about the potential for AI-generated content to disrupt the upcoming presidential election. Musk's actions this week have highlighted the platform's departure from conventional norms, particularly as he used X to live-stream a two-hour conversation with Donald Trump, whom he recently endorsed. This event, coupled with the launch of Grok, underscores how X has evolved under Musk's leadership, diverging from other major social media platforms by embracing partisan affiliations and rejecting traditional rules governing online conduct.

"It’s a good thing we live in a country where people can invent things that mock political candidates, that’s free expression at its finest," said Daniel Kreiss, a principal researcher at the University of North Carolina’s Center for Information, Technology, and Public Life. However, Kreiss also warned that "with the proliferation of AI and the removal of guardrails, there’s a possibility for things to be fragmented in politically dangerous ways."

X's decision to enable such unrestricted AI content creation has not gone unnoticed by users. Petr Švec, a 36-year-old from the Czech Republic, expressed his enthusiasm for the platform's new direction. "It’s more important whether people are able to express themselves freely and without worry," he said in messages exchanged with The Washington Post. Švec took advantage of X's new tools to post AI-generated images, including one of President Joe Biden kissing Harris and another of Musk in lingerie. Reflecting on his experience, Švec remarked, "The lack of content filters is by far the best thing in my opinion. I think it’s a breath of fresh air."

Despite the buzz surrounding Grok, both the Harris and Trump campaigns declined to comment on the AI-generated images circulating on X. However, a Harris campaign official, speaking anonymously, revealed that the campaign has a dedicated team prepared to address the potential impact of AI on the election, including the threat of malicious deep fakes. This team, which was originally established during the Biden campaign, has been active and expanding since September 2023, equipped with a variety of tools to tackle any arising issues.

While some users have welcomed X's new AI features, others are alarmed by the platform's direction. After Musk acquired Twitter in late 2022, he made significant cuts to the platform’s content moderation team and relaxed rules on disinformation. He also shifted his focus from promoting his other ventures, such as Tesla, to expressing his political views more openly. Since endorsing Trump, Musk has used X to fervently support the former president while frequently criticizing Harris. This partisan approach starkly contrasts with the leadership styles of other social media executives like Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey, who have generally attempted to maintain their platforms as neutral grounds for political discourse.

Despite these changes, some in the political sphere, such as Ryan Gravatt, CEO and founder of Raconteur Media Co., believe that X remains a "fair platform." Gravatt, whose company has worked with Republican campaigns, noted, "This is just a way for Musk and other folks in his circle to use the [platform] to remind people where they stand politically and what the stakes are in an election."

However, not everyone shares this view. Some elected Democrats, including Rep. Jerry Nadler (D-N.Y.), have raised concerns about potential political bias on X. In a letter to House Judiciary Committee Chair Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), Nadler called for an investigation into allegations of political censorship on the platform. "I hope that we can at least agree that enforcement on a major platform like X should be fair to both sides," Nadler wrote.

The concerns surrounding X's AI tools are not limited to political bias. AI researchers and misinformation experts have expressed worry that the disturbing images now circulating on X could signal that Musk’s commitment to free expression has gone too far. Hany Farid, a computer science professor at the University of California at Berkeley, emphasized the dangers of allowing such content to proliferate unchecked. "This is not a free-speech issue," Farid said, arguing that protection should not extend to the creation of violent or politically misleading images.

The introduction of Grok has also raised the stakes for X’s relationship with advertisers. Some brands have already expressed concern about the platform’s content, and the presence of AI-generated images depicting violence, hate speech, or sexual content could exacerbate these tensions. Yet, for users like Švec, the unregulated nature of Grok is precisely what makes it appealing. "Less guardrails is what was needed," Švec said, adding, "It’s a good thing."

As the 2024 U.S. presidential election approaches, the role of social media platforms like X in shaping public opinion and political discourse is under intense scrutiny. Musk’s decisions to support Trump and introduce a minimally regulated AI tool reflect a broader trend of social media platforms becoming battlegrounds for political influence. The ramifications of these developments remain to be seen, but one thing is clear: X, under Musk's leadership, has entered uncharted territory, where the boundaries of free expression and the responsibilities of platform ownership are being tested in unprecedented ways.

Article images are fake

Credit: WP  2024-08-19

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Having looked at those pictures, and now understanding that Elon Musk is behind the software which produces them, perhaps one can understand why Ms Harris is not particularly interested in being interviewed by him!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Social Media said:

X's new AI tools have opened the floodgates to a deluge of potentially harmful content.

Yeah  like Russia gate and the Hunter Biden laptop

"harmful content"   all "AI" content should be digitally marked as created by AI  so we all know it's potentially ( most likely) BS !

• Agree 1

I remember that term grok from some si fi book I read as a teenager I’ve forgotten the title but I do remember the context— to grok something means to fully understand it- or something similar….weird oh well it’s something musk is pushing so weird fits.

9 hours ago, Tug said:

I remember that term grok from some si fi book I read as a teenager I’ve forgotten the title but I do remember the context— to grok something means to fully understand it- or something similar….weird oh well it’s something musk is pushing so weird fits.

Grok comes from Robert A. Heinlein's 1961 science fiction novel Stranger in a Strange Land.  The word was used by the book's main character, a human raised on Mars who spoke Martian.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

Grok comes from Robert A. Heinlein's 1961 science fiction novel Stranger in a Strange Land.  The word was used by the book's main character, a human raised on Mars who spoke Martian.

Thanks!as I recall I liked the book that was a while back lol!