From Brown’s Town to the White House: Kamala Harris’ Jamaican Roots and Global Impact

Social Media

image.png.51889bee2eb29e20dd3d6d3f1c6d38d6.png

In the small town of Brown’s Town, nestled in the northern coast of Jamaica, a community gathers to witness a momentous occasion that resonates far beyond its borders. It was three and a half years ago when Sherman Harris, standing on the hilltop of his home, welcomed family and friends to witness history as his cousin, Kamala Harris, was sworn in as Vice President of the United States. The room filled with joyous screams and tears as they watched this historic moment unfold. Recalling that day, Sherman Harris, now 59, told CNN, "Even talking to you now, I feel some sort of tears from my eyes too, you know. It's like tears of joy."

image.png.8459ac0732b2fd1d170b7e22798dcaf6.png

Next week, they will gather once more before his widescreen television, watching as Kamala Harris ascends yet again, this time as she accepts the Democratic presidential nomination. This event is not only significant because she will be the first Black woman, the first Jamaican American, and the first Asian American to lead a major party's White House campaign, but also because it reflects the journey of her Caribbean roots, which millions of Americans are only beginning to understand.

image.png.f012e89a6d5bd27be8cdbb3b4ddbc2cb.png

Her rise to prominence has not been without challenges. Just as quickly as she was propelled to the top of the Democratic ticket a month ago when President Joe Biden stepped down from his re-election bid, her Republican adversary, Donald Trump, sought to undermine her identity. In a blatant attempt to sway African American voters in key states like Michigan and Georgia, Trump falsely suggested that Harris had only recently chosen to identify as Black, labeling her as an opportunist. "I don’t know, is she Indian or is she Black?" Trump questioned, a comment that was widely criticized.

image.png.f277ff9d3eed34f83d9b4dd46e42d902.png

The reality is that Kamala Harris is both. She is the daughter of Shyamala Gopalan, an Indian-born breast cancer researcher who passed away in 2009, and Donald Harris, a Jamaican-born retired economist from Stanford University. Although her father has largely stayed out of the public eye, his legacy and that of their family in Brown’s Town is deeply intertwined with Kamala’s story. This market town in St. Ann Parish, where vendors sell glossy green avocados and yams, is where Donald Harris' family has roots stretching back generations. As Michael Belnavis, the mayor of St. Ann Parish, reflected, “You have to recognize individuals who come from humble abodes and really excel. Coming from Brown’s Town is as humble as it gets.”

image.png.cd5d6535e9909f9e39a5eec850a02761.png

The town itself bears a complex history. Named after Hamilton Brown, an Irish slave owner who is believed, according to family lore, to be an ancestor of Kamala Harris’ great-grandmother, Christiana Brown, the legacy of Brown’s Town is marked by both the atrocities of slavery and the resilience of its people. "Miss Chrishy," as Christiana Brown was affectionately known, played a significant role in shaping the family’s future. She was a stern but loving matriarch who operated a dry goods store in Brown’s Town and raised her grandson, Donald Harris. In an essay published in 2018 in Jamaica Global Online, Donald Harris described her as "reserved and stern in look, firm with ‘the strap’ but capable of the most endearing and genuine acts of love, affection, and care." It was from Miss Chrishy that Donald Harris drew inspiration for his interests in economics and politics.

image.png.39b0455c03edd81e711b24a5ac3d85e0.png

Although Miss Chrishy passed away in 1951, her influence endures. Her elegant demeanor, proper manners, and the high standards she set for her children and grandchildren continue to be a source of pride for the Harris family. "She was the backbone," said Latoya Harris-Ghartey, Sherman Harris’ daughter, who is now the executive director of Jamaica’s National Education Trust. "She believed in getting your books and having a solid education, those sorts of things. I think that has passed on throughout the line. Everybody always pushes you to be better, to excel."

Miss Chrishy’s legacy was also marked by her marriage to Joseph Harris, who raised cattle and grew pimento berries on a farm high above Brown’s Town. Though he died in 1939, a year after Donald Harris was born, his and Miss Chrishy’s influence on the family’s position in the town remains prominent. The family has long been respected as landowners and businesspeople, a status that persists to this day.

Sherman Harris, Donald’s first cousin, continues to live on and manage the Harris land in an area known as Orange Hill, named for a citrus grove that once flourished there. One of the notable features of the property is the Harris Quarry, started by Sherman’s late father, Newton, which still produces crushed limestone and bricks. During a tour with CNN, Sherman proudly pointed out his three-story commercial building in the heart of Brown’s Town. It is through this landscape that Donald Harris brought Kamala and her sister, Maya, during their childhood holidays, guiding them through the town’s bustling market and other significant landmarks.

In a 2018 essay, Donald Harris reminisced about a visit in 1970 when Kamala, ever adventurous, broke away from the group during a trek through the family property. "She took off like a gazelle in Serengeti, leaping over rocks and shrubs and fallen branches, in utter joy and unleashed curiosity, to explore that same enticing terrain," he wrote. "I couldn’t help thinking there and then: What a moment of exciting rediscovery being handed over from one generation to another!"

These childhood memories are cherished by Sherman Harris, who recalls the cousins playing together during those visits in the 1970s while the adults socialized. He remembers Kamala and Maya as "brilliant girls" who would quiz him on Jamaica’s current affairs, often leaving him stumped and needing to ask his father for answers. For Sherman, Kamala’s rise is emblematic of the phrase "Jamaica to the world," a testament to the island’s culture, music, and influence on the global stage. It is also a reflection of the Harris family’s determination. "We have never ventured in much failure, you know," Sherman remarked. "We are always successful in whatever we do."

Yet, as Kamala Harris ascends to new heights, her father, Donald Harris, has largely remained out of the spotlight. Despite their separation when Kamala was just five years old, Shyamala Gopalan’s influence on Kamala’s life is undeniable. In her memoir, "The Truths We Hold: An American Journey," Kamala Harris wrote of her parents, noting that while her father "remained a part of our lives," it was her mother who raised her daughters to be "confident, proud black women" in a society that primarily saw them as African American. Kamala’s journey took her to Howard University, a prestigious Historically Black College and University (HBCU) in Washington, DC, where she joined Alpha Kappa Alpha, the nation’s oldest Black sorority.

Kamala Harris’ relationship with her father, however, has been more complex. After their divorce, Donald Harris felt his relationship with his daughters was restricted, a sentiment he expressed in a 2018 essay, where he criticized the stereotype of "a neegroe from da eyelans" as being incapable of proper parenting. Despite these challenges, he persisted in his love for his children and remained committed to his responsibilities as their father. Donald Harris, now 85, has largely avoided the limelight, even as his daughter stands on the cusp of making history once again.

Donald Harris briefly emerged from his public silence during Kamala’s 2020 presidential bid, rebuking her for joking about marijuana use in connection to her Jamaican heritage. In a statement posted on Jamaica Global Online, which has since been deleted, he expressed his disappointment, noting that their ancestors would be "turning in their grave" to see their family name linked to a "fraudulent stereotype of a pot-smoking joy seeker."

Among economists, Donald Harris is respected as a free thinker, unafraid to challenge conventional theories. Damien King, a retired professor and think tank leader in Jamaica, who first met Harris in the mid-1980s, was not surprised by the public criticism, noting that Harris has always been unafraid to speak his mind. Steven Fazzari, an economist at Washington University in St. Louis and a former student of Harris, described him as someone who thinks "deeply about economic theory" and encourages originality. Fazzari fondly recalled a recent dinner with Harris and other former students, where Harris, in his mid-80s, was as articulate and gracious as ever.

As Kamala Harris continues her campaign, her identity and ancestry have become focal points in the political discourse. Trump, grappling with how to counter her sudden candidacy, has resorted to questioning her racial identity, falsely claiming that she chose to "turn Black" for political gain. This misrepresentation of her background, as Danielle Casarez Lemi of Southern Methodist University noted, taps into damaging stereotypes and aims to undermine her credibility. Despite these attacks, Harris’ supporters remain steadfast.

Dahlia Walker-Huntington, a Jamaican American lawyer and long-time Harris supporter, dismissed Trump’s comments as "condescending" and "ignorant," pointing out that a person can hold multiple identities in a multicultural society. She views Kamala Harris as a strong woman who stands up for her convictions, and her Jamaican heritage is simply "icing on the cake." For Walker-Huntington and many others, Kamala Harris’ candidacy feels deeply personal. "It makes me feel like that’s my cousin running for the presidency of the United States," she said.

Even those who have not seen Kamala in years, like her cousin Sherman Harris, continue to take pride in her accomplishments. Donald Harris, though more private, still maintains ties with the family and was honored in 2021 with Jamaica’s Order

of Merit for his contributions to the nation. As Kamala Harris prepares for the next phase of her journey, the small town of Brown’s Town remains a proud witness to her achievements, a reminder of the rich heritage that has shaped her path.

Sherman Harris, gazing out over the same hills where his cousin once played as a child, knows that no matter what the future holds, the legacy of Brown’s Town and the Harris family will continue to resonate far beyond the island’s shores. As he and his family prepare to watch Kamala take the stage next week, they do so with the knowledge that they are part of a story that stretches across oceans and generations, a story that is far from over.

Credit: CNN  2024-08-19

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I don't hate either. Just pointing out the lies.

Of course. Nobody can change their race. They can only lie about it or in the case of mixed race people like Harris, focus on one part of their heritage in a cynical attempt to gain votes. 

It was amusing to see her "surprised" by reporters recently as she left a record store with a bag full of albums purchased to enhance her black credentials. So cringe, so staged, I can't believe people fall for this garbage. I thought Democrat voters were surprised to be the intellectual ones? 😃

Harris has never lied about her race.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Why must people be segregated by race all the time? 

Indian French, African Germans, Latino Spaniards. 

We don't read about these. But Black Americans are constantly referred to. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

I don't care what race she is. I wanted Kemi as UK PM. She's black in case you don't know.

I just dislike people focusing on a specific part of their heritage in a cynical attempt to gain votes. Especially when the part they focus on changes as needs require.

Fortunately, the vast majority of black Americans will see her for what she is. A fraud. White pearl clutching liberals will probably fall for it, they're not the smartest bunch. 

We’ll stop focusing on Harris’ heritage, it’s hers, she can do whatever she chooses to do with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Dreaming up stuff to feed your need for grievance?

Yawn. A 'need for grievance'?

Although I do detect a need for grievance here ...

What are you doing for others today? Start by unlearning racist language. It may seem innocent to you, but these words and phrases have deeper implications. Terms like “Black sheep” and “Blacklist” are examples of how deeply engrained racism is in our language. 

“Everyday language reminds African Americans in matter-of-fact ways that our color is related to extortion (blackmail), disrepute (black mark), rejection (blackball), banishment (blacklist), impurity (not the driven snow), illicitness (black market), and death. Casting aspersions on black or darkness while praising white or light isn’t universal, and regardless of the intentions of the user of these expressions, such usage colludes with racism.” — Therapist Dee Watts-Jones, 2004

https://r2ac.republicrecords.com/everyday-expressions-are-actually-racist/

So watch out, White House!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I predict a big assed party time in Brown's Town come November!

Her Dad is very old now and they haven't been close but it sure would be sweet if he shows up for his daughter's inauguration.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Oh will "we" now?  😃 I'll do exactly what I want thanks... 

Funny how you want to stop focusing on Harris' heritage yet here you are, posting in this thread which is all about Harris' heritage. 😃

Yes, she is free to exploit it just as I am free to comment on her exploiting it. I don't believe the left have starting throwing people in jail for that just yet, although I'm sure they'd like to. 

Jonny, you misunderstand me, though so accept my typo didn’t help.

I have absolutely no problem at all with you posting stuff that reveals your race fixation.

Just don’t expect it to go without comment.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2024 at 10:04 AM, JonnyF said:

So there is no such thing as race, yet Trump is racist. 

Fascinating. 

biologically there may be no race, but in the minds of people there are artificial categories which they believe and act upon... yes DJT is racist & from long line of racists: DOJ suit against his dad over non rental to black people in NYC properties. That BS birther slander against Obama. The full page ad to bring back death penalty for Central Park 5 (later exonerated after decades in jail), "Good people on both sides" re "Jews will not replace us" Tiki march, too similar to KKK and Nazi marches & woman runover and killed by one of those fine people, His referring to inner city people as animals.... his racist insult of Harris by pretending not to be able to pronounce her name... This could go on for pages. 

There is no such thing as God (no proof), yet people believe in God and act on those beliefs

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/19/2024 at 8:21 AM, JonnyF said:

Oh she's Jamaican this week?

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2019-10-25/how-kamala-harris-indian-family-shaped-her-political-career

image.png.178157e1cf5be2a1996e05512c0b73c1.png

She switches race faster than Meghan Markle. She'll be blacking up 'Trudeau style' and getting a perm next.

Contrary to what you seem to believe, Harris has never denied her Indian roots. She wrote about them at length in her book. And the fact is she attended an historically black University, joined a black sorority , and in her public life has always identified primarily with the black community. What does a family photo have to do with that? You seem to have a problem with people of racially mixed backgrounds.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1